Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-07-2002, 09:44 PM

Default pops / clicks in Autotune?

Hi,

I've noticed this happening before, and in fact, i noticed something like this everytime i use autotune.

Here's what I have a what happens:

1) I have a track of vocals (mono), insert Autotune RTAS and set the OUT to "bus 3"
2) I create a new mono track, set its INPUT from "buss 3" and then arm it for record.

3) In autotune, graphical mode; i set everything according to the manual, retune speed around 40 and tracking = 25, the others are at default ie. buffers ..etc

4) My hardware buffer setting = 128 samples
5) My machine is a G4 400

So, i tracked the pitch of the selected waveform, do the necessary tweakings, and then hit record to record the corrected pitched waveform.

However, i noticed that sometimes i hear pops or cracks in the corrected pitch vocals. And its not happening on any "edited" regions, so its not the edit/joint part that is creating the pop/crack.

And I think it happens in alternate playbacks, or something like that. ie. now i play that portion, i dun hear it, and then i play it again, and i hear it at the same place i heard it 2 playbacks ago. And when i hit record to record this, the cracks and pops gets recorded.

Is it my CPU too slow? not enough ram? (I have 11 Gb!!), or my harddisks are old? anybody else have this problem?

Thanks and Regards,
[Charles]
:: www.tworooms.com
Old 10-08-2002, 09:34 AM

Default Re: pops / clicks in Autotune?

11 GB of RAM, Geez, that's a lot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe it's the G4 400? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 01:04 PM

thanks for the posts guys.

I did some searching on "autotune" and found some people using BTD instead of arming a bussed track and recording to it. So the new question is, will BTD be more "stable" than recording direct into a track? Will it also NOT introduce delays to the bussed recorded track?

Sometimes i have to manually shift/nudge the tuned region back because when i zoomed in to look at the waveforms, they are slightly off. And this happens sometimes also.

But, I am more curious in why i hear cracks/clicks/pops in alternate playbacks and not all the time..

Thanks and Regards,
[Charles]
Old 10-08-2002, 03:33 PM

I use AudioSuite with Auto Tune as well. And just like the previous post I get an occasional pop or click. I just undo and then redo it with no problem.

I am using the Windows XP version (sorry, I know that this is a Mac area).
Old 10-08-2002, 03:41 PM

I don't believe audiosuite introduces any delays- there's no real reason it should be since we don't have a real-time audio pathway happening... I've never noticed any.

As far as pops/crackles happening only some of the time, it must be due to the way the software handles the audio- because it seems that it is a common thing.... I know that's not much of an answer, but I'm not much of a software engineer! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2002, 05:59 PM

Try slowing down the "Retune" parameter slightly. Also, most of the time I get those artifacts at the beginning of the section, especially if the autotune has to kick in with a hefty retune. Try giving it a few seconds run up to the section you want.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel_p:
11 GB of RAM, Geez, that's a lot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe it's the G4 400? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmm, maybe too much ram?? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

actually, it was a typo, what i meant was 1Gb, NOT 11 Gb!! Sorry [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So, its the CPU that is too slow for autotune??

Regards,
[Charles]
Old 10-09-2002, 12:53 AM

from what i can see from your setup,
try increasing your buffer size.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:59 AM

You know, I have the same situation- I'm one of the few here who actually audiosuites Auto-Tune- in graphical mode. I get pops maybe 10% of the time- it's not extremely consistent. What I do is audiosuite the phrase I'm working on, then listen to it for pops. If there are pops, I simply undo and re-audiosuite it with NO changes to AT, and most of the time it's fine. Sometimes I have made too drastic of a change and that will cause a pop.

I have a g4/450, with half of your RAM, so I think you are fine there.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:53 AM

I've gone back to 2.x because of ticks etc in 3.0. Plus, I like the fact that all the zoom arrows are grouped in 2 anyway.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.