Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Grounding? Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't forget if there's a crt screen TV or computer monitor in the area that will cause major noise like we're hearing here.

There's another possibility and it might not even be in the house but outside on a power pole. There may be a line transformer radiating noise; it may even be coming from a neighbor's house. Trust me - as a ham radio op I've seen more than my fair share of noise radiators that you wouldn't think were causing the problem.

This is possible. The rack setup is in a room with several computers and a TV. However the issue is reproducible in rooms without. No power poles in my direct area.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Are you using humbuckers or single coils? Active or passive pickups? I've seen actives with a lot of noise.
All guitars are humbuckers.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYOAK5150 View Post
Right you are. I did forget to disable the NG, my apologies.

So yes, there obviously is constant hum when the NG is disabled and walking around does slightly alter the hum, but does not rid of it. At one point it got quieter, but there was minimal difference.

I actually lugged the rack around the house trying different outlets again, as well as instrument cables and power cables to no avail. This is the first processor or head Ive had this problem with in my house. Anything from Axe FX to Mesa triples and high gain peavey heads.

I've also tested with a surge protector and power conditioner. Not sure what else to try. I would understand with high gain amps, but when the clean channel does it, its a bit useless for recording.
I know its a mystery why you don't get this with your other heads, but still, try the whole house power off except the circuit powering your amp. And test with that and use it to check what else is on that circuit (dont' rely on a breaker box diagram etc.). This helped me find a CFD bulb in a closet (several rooms away but on the same circuit thanks to ancient house wiring). Out of desperation with only one circuit energized I walked around tryign to turn on lights and appliances and hey presto on came this stupid bulb in a closet, which explained why sometimes I would get noise and other time not.

Darryl
Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYOAK5150 View Post
This is possible. The rack setup is in a room with several computers and a TV. However the issue is reproducible in rooms without. No power poles in my direct area.
The TV doesn't have to be in the same room; it just has to be on the same side of the power transformer that feeds your house. And that's a crt type TV not a flat screen.

You have touch lamps in the house - the type where you touch them to turn them on and off? Those are HUGE noise generators.

QAPLA!
Old 01-10-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
The TV doesn't have to be in the same room; it just has to be on the same side of the power transformer that feeds your house. And that's a crt type TV not a flat screen.

You have touch lamps in the house - the type where you touch them to turn them on and off? Those are HUGE noise generators.
Oh, no touch lamps and the TV(flat screen) is off. Sounds to me I have some massive troubleshooting to do.

In regards to the grounding issue on older versions, how do I determine if mine is a previous version with this issue?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM

I've got the same problem with my11R ONLY with the Output to Amp outs (both of them).

In my case it has been a ground loop after all. But my unit is simultaneously connected through AES (to a HD rig), the XLR outs (to a mixing desk) and the Out to Amp (to a guitar amp).

If you are connecting to a guitar amp try powering the units to different outlets and see what happens.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM

1) Is there any chance you're using a speaker cable instead of an instrument cable?

2) Does the hum appear with the guitar's volume turned all the way down?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM

Very annoying indeed. I saw you tried a lot of things.

I had a similar problem coming from the PC as WiFi / Bluetooth antenna were near the coils of my guitar when playing. I found 2 solutions : positioning the guitar 45 degree from the PC (not very handy...). As the eleven rack USB cable is quiet long I finally put the PC away .. and get rid of the noise.

May I suggest an ultimate test : take the rack and your guitar, leave your home and test it to different places (shop where you bought the unit, friends or relatives house, work and test it ...) Then you will be 100% sure it's coming from your house electric ecosystem, or not ... that's how I discovered that the unit was OK and finally found the guilty antennas !

Hope this help
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonV44 View Post
Very annoying indeed. I saw you tried a lot of things.

I had a similar problem coming from the PC as WiFi / Bluetooth antenna were near the coils of my guitar when playing. I found 2 solutions : positioning the guitar 45 degree from the PC (not very handy...). As the eleven rack USB cable is quiet long I finally put the PC away .. and get rid of the noise.

May I suggest an ultimate test : take the rack and your guitar, leave your home and test it to different places (shop where you bought the unit, friends or relatives house, work and test it ...) Then you will be 100% sure it's coming from your house electric ecosystem, or not ... that's how I discovered that the unit was OK and finally found the guilty antennas !

Hope this help
Possibly even try a different computer.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Possibly even try a different computer.
Or try the 11R without the computer hooked up and turned on even if it isn't hooked up. Most computers are not that well shielded.

QAPLA!