Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Default New user-no license on iLok

Hi. I'm a new user, and just installed PT9. Let me say at the outset I have a non-recommended laptop. I'm not expecting miracles, or for anyone to jump through hoops to solve my problems, but if I can be led in the right directions it would be very much appreciated.

Right off the bat, I'm not able to get PT9 to "see" the iLok. The computer sees it. I've read other posters, and from their posts, I don't think I'm having the same problem they're having. I don't think there's a license on the iLok I received with the software.

I'm generally pretty confused about all this. I didn't see anything on the iLok in the installation manual except that it needed to be plugged in. Reading the posts on this forum suggests it needs to be registered on the iLok site. Well, I downloaded the iLok manager software. It sees the iLok, but shows 0 licenses. I was under the impression the iLok came with a license already on the iLok.

So, what am I doing wrong, and more importantly how can I do it right, and get the license on the iLok?

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Default Re: New user-no license on iLok

Have you registered your software (PT9) on the Avid web site? Usually when you register it, you are asked for your iLok user ID. Avid then can deposit a license in your iLok account.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
Have you registered your software (PT9) on the Avid web site? Usually when you register it, you are asked for your iLok user ID. Avid then can deposit a license in your iLok account.

Hope this helps,
Greg
A very crucial point...

First, go to iLok.com and create an account. Do this before registering PT 9 at Avid.

Otherwise, you are screwed and will have to go through Avid tech support to resolve your issue.

Once you have created an iLok account, register your iLok at iLok.com.

Then, go to your My Avid account at www.avid.com and register Pro Tools 9. You will need to enter the user name you created at iLok.com as part of this process.

Finally, plug in your iLok and go back to www.iLok.com. Log in to your account and you should see a message indicating that you have licenses waiting to be downloaded. Follow the instructions to download the license to your iLok and you should be good to go...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies. I must have overlooked something, but I didn't see that process anywhere in the install manual. I'll try it.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:28 AM

Hurdle 1 - overcome. Thanks for the help! There was a card I did overlook in the package with an activation code.