Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2006, 04:28 PM

Default DLP TV for client monitors

Hi All,
I know LCD and Plasma screens have been talked about a lot on this forum. What about DLP? What is there delay?

Also, if they have a huge delay, what is the solution for video monitors?
Thanks for all the help.
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 AM

Default Re: DLP TV for client monitors

ALL of them have latency. There is no single value for all displays, or any display type, or any manufacturer. It is a wild and wooly world. Accept that reality and move on. Like LCDs, DLPs seem to be in the 2 frame range.

For a fix, some apps can advance video playback, like Pro Tool's movie sync offset feature, some can't like Pro Tools V10/MOJO option. Your only other fix is to delay the audio monitor's signals.

You've been around the DUC long enough to be completely familiar with the link below, so I won't mention it.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Also, if they have a huge delay, what is the solution for video monitors?
to pick up on richard's comments...depends on what system you use. if you use a FUSE-X, Miro, Blackmagic, Igniter cards, canopus, or the DVI adapted montor output, in your PT rig, then you can use movie offset in PT. if you use VirtualVTR, you can use the offset in VVTR. if you use a MOJO, you need to induce delay on your audio monitor path. (is that also true of a V1 or bonsai drive?...i would expect so).

and familiarize yourself with that link.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-22-2006, 01:01 PM

Thanks All,
I just didn't know if DLP was in the 4 frame plasma range. The problem I'm running into is, The clients are getting 17" LCD TV's for cloce monitoring. I would a big tv monitor that has around the same delay (within a frame) so I don't have time zones in the room (The client monitor is in but the big one on the wall is out buy three frames). I think a big DLP and client LCDs are a good combo and will probably be within a frame of eachother. Is that a good gamble? Thanks again.
Brandon

P.S. I've read all the Sync Check info on your web page Richard. Thanks for all the info.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
P.S. I've read all the Sync Check info on your web page Richard. Thanks for all the info.
and you've got a syncheck box

i say that, just becasue it is like an SPL meter. you need it to know! so you aren't thinking...yeah...that's "about" a frame...

here is the other reason: i have a CRT for me and a 42" display for clients. but they have different delays. (the displays, not my clients, though some are slower than others ) so, i use the box to know how much for each display. then, i can work by myself and know i am in sync, and when clients are here for review, i can switch the offset so their monitor is in sync. clearly, this is not ideal, but it is necesarry in my room. so, if you can avoid it, do. if you can't then know the delay for each device.

my offset for the plasma is 150ms, so, yeah, more than 4 frames! but, i can get it dead on now and it is tight.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash