Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-04-2020, 06:07 PM

Default Editing this 9900k build to be suitable for a 10900k.

I put this draft together before I learnt that the 10900k was released. If I were to change the CPU to a 10900k and the motherboard to a z490 - would anything else in this build need to change? It's for Audio mixing/mastering in Pro Tools so I don't need a crazy GPU, just something that can handle the GUI of pro tools without adding to the CPU.

-CPU - Intel Core i9 9900k (8 Core - 16 Thread) (Switch to 10900k)

-CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM

-Motherboard - Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 (Suggestions for Switch?)

-RAM 1 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
-RAM 2 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 CL18
*Total Ram = 4 x 16 = 64gb (May get lower CL)

-Internal Storage 1 (Boot Drive) - Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB m.2 NVME SSD
-Internal Storage 2 (Recording Drive) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB m.2 NVME SSD
-Internal Storage 3 (Basic Storage) Western Digital Black 4TB 3.5” 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

-GPU - Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 8 GB (Maybe 4gb?)

-PSU - be quiet! Straight Power 11 750w 80+ Platinum Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Maybe Gold)

-Case - Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case (Possibly go with Meshify Instead)

**To add to the question, which z490 motherboard would be most compatible/in the same price range with the rest of my chosen components?
Old 07-04-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Editing this 9900k build to be suitable for a 10900k.

Obvious question is a 10900K is LGA 1200 LGA1151. LGA 1200 is an evolution of LGA1151, but I'd sure not expect an LGA 1200 CPU to run in an LGA1151 socket.

Gigabyte list boards that support different sockets on their website. So head over there to see what's even possible. Same with finding DRAM support, forget anything that is not on the mobo qualification list. You should dig into all this yourself and then ask remaining questions.

"Evo Plus" drives are probably not worth any upgrade cost, you can just use Evo drives if that will save much money. If it was a demanding write intensive use I'd go with Pro drives... but we don't typically have those in the audio world.

Not sure what the WD drive is for... e.g. put samples etc. on M.2 drives if you can... maybe get a bigger M.2 boot drive and put samples there if they can fit. User home directories etc. you want on the M.3 drives not on a slow HDD. If you want to spread stuff over multiple M.2 drives you can use a PCIe slot to M.2 adapter, or look for motherboard with three M.2 slots. Your backup drives should ideally be mostly external and if that HDD is for backups that may be OK.. but you also want some external HDD that can be disconnected and stored somewhere safe well way from problem causing wetware.

If you ask for suggestions for motherboard.. folks here really don't know what features you need/are important to you. e.g. the mobo you reference has Thunderbolt. Is that important to you? It greatly restricts the range of mobo to select from. ... and if it's important it helps you focus on which mobo to pick from/ask questions about.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-04-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:44 PM

BTW DBK bravo for doing this, I think you are doing a great job making progress here.... and hopefully will end up with a great Pro Tools PC.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:01 PM

Grr OK the Gigabyte product selector website needs a little tweak to update socket versions they support but it's still useful. https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Comparison/Motherboard

And here is another nice resource. I often look on Newegg for stuff because they provide such useful combinations of related products. e.g. here are the Gigabyte LGA 1200 mobos. You can pick through the to see what else you want and what the prices are. I'm not sure what is the direct descendent of the Z390 Designare is. But I expect you will be OK with any of these boards.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145190

And again if you get close, then try asking for feedback on specific stuff from others that may have built stuff recently. As you get close I'd not be shy about asking on that main thread.. and please update it with how your build goes. I can't give you anything specific I'm Mac for Pro Tools and currently mostly playing with high-end AMD stuff for other users.

BTW Z490 VISION D looks nice, and has Thunderbolt and triple M.2 slots.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 07-04-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 07:45 AM

Since you're in Canada, also look at www.newegg.ca and www.memoryexpress.com.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 07-05-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
BTW DBK bravo for doing this, I think you are doing a great job making progress here.... and hopefully will end up with a great Pro Tools PC.
Thanks you! Definitely makes me feel better about posting a thread every time I have a new question haha. I felt like the noob who just over asks everything but everyday I learn something new thats opening up more questions. Only been at this a few days now so lots of new 'doors' are opening every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Obvious question is a 10900K is LGA 1200 LGA1151. LGA 1200 is an evolution of LGA1151, but I'd sure not expect an LGA 1200 CPU to run in an LGA1151 socket.

Gigabyte list boards that support different sockets on their website. So head over there to see what's even possible. Same with finding DRAM support, forget anything that is not on the mobo qualification list. You should dig into all this yourself and then ask remaining questions.

"Evo Plus" drives are probably not worth any upgrade cost, you can just use Evo drives if that will save much money. If it was a demanding write intensive use I'd go with Pro drives... but we don't typically have those in the audio world.

Not sure what the WD drive is for... e.g. put samples etc. on M.2 drives if you can... maybe get a bigger M.2 boot drive and put samples there if they can fit. User home directories etc. you want on the M.3 drives not on a slow HDD. If you want to spread stuff over multiple M.2 drives you can use a PCIe slot to M.2 adapter, or look for motherboard with three M.2 slots. Your backup drives should ideally be mostly external and if that HDD is for backups that may be OK.. but you also want some external HDD that can be disconnected and stored somewhere safe well way from problem causing wetware.

If you ask for suggestions for motherboard.. folks here really don't know what features you need/are important to you. e.g. the mobo you reference has Thunderbolt. Is that important to you? It greatly restricts the range of mobo to select from. ... and if it's important it helps you focus on which mobo to pick from/ask questions about.
Will check out how much money I can save getting rid of the "plus" and probably make that move if its enough to put towards more ram, etc..

And yah the WD black spinning drive is simply just to backup everything. I would also have a clone of that spinning drive as an external drive but it would just be something cheap like a 5600 that I can transfer stuff to when I'm not in a rush.

I heard Gigabytes z490 boards are still a bit buggy in the BIOS, and me being a brand new PC builder was wanting to avoid that as much as possible - The ASUS Rog Strix z490-e doesnt COME with firebolt but it comes with a Firebolt header that I can put a $100 TB3 expansion on to if I ever do get a TB3 interface. Also has a couple more power stages than the vision - but overall I have heard good things about the vision and will look more into it.

My current decision is whether or not I should go down to the i7s and use an i7 10700k instead of a i9 10900k. Would save almost 400 dollars that I could put towards other stuff and would also utilize the current z490 boards instead of a dated z390 board.

The i7 does have slightly faster single core speed but only by 0.1ghz..so right now I'm stuck wondering what the real differences between i7 and i9 are. Most sources I'm looking at are just saying the i9s are simply 'faster' - So I haven't written off a 10700k yet, but with that being said its a few hundred bucks over a system that should last years...so in the end its about if one CPU can handle more than the other in regards to my specific tasks, or if I wont even notice the difference between an i7 and an i9.

Also, on the Gigabyte Vision D it says the Memory standard is DDR4 2666, not exactly sure what that means? For the Asus boards Newegg lists 3600 as memory standard but only lists 2666 for the Vision D.

Again, thanks for all the help! I know im overasking questions and making a mess of the forum but It's how Ive always learnt haha.

Last edited by DBK; 07-05-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:46 PM

FWIW, I recommend nVidia graphics for all intel builds

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-05-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, I recommend nVidia graphics for all intel builds
For video work and gaming this seems to be the standard, but for audio work I hear that the drivers tend to have issues and Radeon will be a lot smoother?
Old 07-05-2020, 08:00 PM

OK! Last question I think haha. Does the Motherboard VRM (Power Stages) Make a big difference from 12+1 to 14+2? The reason I ask is it's the last factor for me to consider when comparing the Gigabyte z490 Vision D and the ASUS ROG z490-E Gaming. I'll be pairing it with an i7 10700k. Gigabyte is 12+2+2+1 and ASUS is 14+2+2+2 I believe.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:41 PM

Here is my 'finished build' haha - Any Feedback before I order everything?

CPU
Intel Core i7 10700k

CPU Cooler
Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM

Motherboard
Gigabyte z490 Vision D *(OR)* Asus Rog Strix z490-E Gaming + Thunderboltex3

RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 CL16

GPU
Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4GB

Storage/
Internal Storage 1 (Operating System/Boot Drive) - Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVME SSD

Internal Storage 2 (Pro Tools Session + Sample Drive) Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB SATA SSD

PSU
Seasonic Focus Plus 600w 80+ Gold

Case
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case

-Will MOBO Support Hard drives - The motherboard comes with 3 m.2 pci E slots - will this work with the 3 m.2 NVME SSDs??
-Will The fan fit with the ram and GPU?
-Do you need extra fans to create a push and pull?
-Will I need a wifi card?
-Is the GPU a bottleneck?
-Still getting mixed reviews about gigabyte boards being buggy so may go with Asus Rog? But I like the TB3 in the Giga.
-Would an 860 Evo SATA be comparable to an m.2 as far as performance goes? Loading samples will be quick either way im sure - but how will the performance compare?

Last edited by DBK; 07-06-2020 at 12:27 AM.