Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Reason/PT Trigger problem

Guys

this is such a dumb question, but I just can't seem to figure out whats going on here. I have a Pro Tools session (PT10) with a couple of instantiations of Steve Slate Drums on separate instrument tracks. I also have a third instrument track with Reason inserted as a plug-in and Rewired back into PT. I have a Reason (7) rack running some synth parts that I've recorded into Reason.

The problem is I CANNOT stop reason from triggering from within pro tools. Every time i go to just edit some drums, my synths are still playing away from within reason. I've tried everything I can think of with MIDI routing but nothing is working. Will someone PLEASE put me out of my misery!!!

Thank You!!!

T
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Reason/PT Trigger problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterfly View Post
Guys

this is such a dumb question, but I just can't seem to figure out whats going on here. I have a Pro Tools session (PT10) with a couple of instantiations of Steve Slate Drums on separate instrument tracks. I also have a third instrument track with Reason inserted as a plug-in and Rewired back into PT. I have a Reason (7) rack running some synth parts that I've recorded into Reason.

The problem is I CANNOT stop reason from triggering from within pro tools. Every time i go to just edit some drums, my synths are still playing away from within reason. I've tried everything I can think of with MIDI routing but nothing is working. Will someone PLEASE put me out of my misery!!!

Thank You!!!

T
Well, you you find the solution, do let us know. I've had the same happen to me once in a while. I can't tell you for sure what causes it. What is needed is an "all MIDI notes off" command. Usually what I do to stop it is play a portion of the track where MIDI is triggering Reason and that usually stops it. That's not fix, just a work around. There is some glitch with how PT MIDI is interpreted by Reason 7. Interestingly, though, I haven't had the issue with PT 11. But you said you were using 10, and I did have the problem there...though, again, only once in a while. I wish I could tell you its specific to this or that rack module in Reason, but I didn't find that to be the case either.

For now, then, just play back a measure or 2 of the MIDI playing the Reason module and stop and it should stop the note(s). I agree, its as annoying as heck! I also inquired on this over at the Prop-head forums, but no one had a solution there either!

Good luck.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 AM

As I understand things you both want to edit MIDI inside PT on non-Reason connected tracks without hearing the audio coming from Reason right? Why not try muting the track in PT that's receiving the Reason audio? Sure the Reason transport will still run but who cares? That's what I do. I just treat the Reason audio coming into PT like any other audio in PT.

QAPLA!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:24 AM

Sounds like both Reason and Pro Tools receiving MIDI at the same time.
If using Pro Tools MIDI/Instrument tracks for recording the MIDI parts,
Then in Reason, remove MIDI controller from RSN prefs.

If that's not an option for workflow, then In reason, the tracks-record auto-engage when selecting tracks. You can deselect Reason/per track record. Then the MIDI thru should disengage.

There are a few other items like using the Reason Advanced MIDI as your controller connection instead of the main controller in Prefs.

In Pro Tools Prefs choose NONE in the MIDI Tab for Default Thru Instrument.