Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-13-2004, 10:13 AM

Default system restore in windows xp

in late summer i had an unsaved session open for days on end on my pt machine (yeah really stupid, i know) and a storm wiped our power. at the time i conceded that i was an idiot and said goodbye to the lost tracks.

i was just telling the story the other day and an IT friend wondered if i could find out the date and time of the power outage from the power company and restore back to the restore point nearest to but before the outage.

the main question, i guess, is whether windows will restore to a program that wasn't saved. will it restore to exactly what was going on with the machine at the moment of setting a restore point or only saved and closed programs?

thanks in advance for the help,
jon
Old 01-13-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Re: system restore in windows xp

Hi Jon,
Was the session on the same partition as your OS(XP, ME, whatever)? If not, it's probably not there. If so, then just go into System Restore and see if there is a Restore point (in the calendar that shows) that's prior to the crash. Remember to move anything you've acquired (that you want to save) that's on that partition before having it Restore, even just to another partition temporarily.
Best of luck with it.... -Roy
Old 01-13-2004, 11:23 AM

"Was the session on the same partition as your OS(XP, ME, whatever)? "

no, protools, itself is installed on the c (system) drive but the session files are on a seperate d drive.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:29 PM

Hello Roy,

Does XP's restore function work on application ( PT ) data also ???
I was under the impression only OS related losses are recovered.

thanx,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 01-13-2004, 02:46 PM

lemix, I think you're right. I'm 'blurring' SysRestore with Norton Ghost. SysRestore actually leaves current My Documents files as they are currently, and mainly deals with OS files, from scanning the SysRestore Overview.
Sorry to give you false hope, Jon.
-Roy