Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-25-2023, 11:00 AM

Default Midi won't record

I have Windows 11, PT 2023, i9, 24 Core, 2 X 4T drives.
MOTU midi Express 128.

When I launch a song and arm the midi chanel I can trigger the midi, using my piano/keyboard. The channel responds, the meter reads and I hear the sound from my synth plugin. It works ok.

The moment I either hit play, or record the midi stops. I get no midi input and no sound. Nothing I can do will get my midi to work again.

I can't record or trigger midi notes.

I'm new to Windows, (just last two months, switched b/c upgrade costs) I was a Mac PT user for 25 years.

I can't find any reference/ troubleshooting for this problem. It is a recent problem. Midi worked fine up until a few days ago. I installed latest upgrade to PT.

Any suggestions for a solution would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2023, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Midi won't record

Kinda unusual behavior. Or maybe I'm too dense to think what it could be.

Frequent finger problems with Pro Tools MIDI are not having the MIDI input selected or not having MIDI Thu checked, but neither of those will cause what you are describing.

Make sure the track Virtual Instrument panel is visible in the Edit or Mix windows. Do you see MIDI events triggering in the small meter in the virtual instrument panel (want to be clear what you meant by not seeing MIDI events before).

Have you tried trashing prefs?

Does this happens with only one session or multiple sessions?

What happens when you use Mini Grand as the VI?

It happen when you create a new session, add one instrument track and add a Mini Grand to that track?

Does this happen when you use the Pro Tools MIDI keyboard ?(Windows>MIDI Keyboard)
Old 09-25-2023, 04:08 PM

Hi

VI plugin and midi meter are both visible when I open a session (with VI track and midi channel armed) and I tap a key on the keyboard/piano. But if I hit play (or record) it stops working. No read on the meters and it wont record.

Prefs are trashed.

Existing midi tracks in the session work ok. I just cant record new midi track.

If I manually place a note on the new midi track it will trigger the VI.

Protools midi keyboard works ok. It triggers the VI.

I dont have mini Grand installed to try that. Is that Avid or AirTech product?

Midi worked fine a few days ago. This is new to me.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:24 PM

And then when the transport stops it plays OK again?
Old 09-26-2023, 03:59 PM

This might help any Windows user:
The key to success with midi controllers is proper setup as follows:
1-Open Setup>Midi>Midi Studio
2-Create a new "instrument" and name it as you like
3-brand and model are not required
4-(the crucial step) set the INPUT PATH so that Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi data. Since you don't mention what keyboard you have, here are some generic examples:
1-assuming a yamaha keyboard connected via USB, the INPUT PATH would be something like "Yamaha keyboard on USB[Emulated]"
2-assuming anything connected via midi cables to your interface, the INPUT PATH would look something like "Interface Midi Input 1"("Interface" could refer to an audio interface, or a midi>USB interface).
In any case, the choice SHOULD be fairly obvious from a dropdown list for INPUT PATH. Leave all 16 midi channels selected(in blue) for now. OUTPUT PATH and midi output channels don't matter unless you need to send midi data back to the keyboard(like to use the keyboard's internal sounds if it has any).
Hope this helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave