Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 10-19-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Pro Tools + ASIO4ALL = Lag so bad I can't record

I have recently switched my Protools 11 from Imac to my PC. I have had no issues installing protools, transferring licenses etc.

Now Protools is open, I am using the Mackie Profx12 Mixer which is not usable in Protools with an ASIO Driver. Everything in Protools works perfectly, Except recording.

As soon as I record enable a track, the levels lag so hard that when I talk into the mic it takes 5 or 6 secs for it to show levels on my input. When I hit "3" to start recording it will say "record pause" for 8 seconds, then start recording hyper slow. It's hard to explain but if you're looking at the counter, it will take around 12 secs in real time to hit 5ms. Next, when I try to stop the record I get a dialog box that says unable to stop the recording.

I'm not sure what to do Here. My mixer works perfectly in every other aspect on my PC. I'm thinking its a buffer issue between ASIO and Protools?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (38.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled1.jpg (36.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools + ASIO4ALL = Lag so bad I can't record

The very first thing to look at is what is the Playback Engine IO buffer set to? Setup>Playback Engine.

Unfortunately none of your screenshots are useful/legible becase they were downscaled a lot by the forum software. if you want to post stuff, use screen shots of the actual dialog boxes only not the full window. Look at the maximum dimensions shown in the upload dialog box when you try to attach an image, anything larger will be down-scaled. It's a pain, the size limits here really need increasing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-19-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:26 PM

2 questions:
#1-does Mackie not have a Windows driver for the mixer?(ASIO4ALL is really a "last ditch" driver when you can't get one that is native to the hardware you have). If you can find a mackie driver, uninstall ASIO4ALL so it doesn't compete.

#2-have you gone to Windows Sound Properties and set the Default Playback Device to the on-board sound card(so only Pro Tools will use the Mackie)? That solves many Windows issues

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-19-2019, 04:39 PM

According to Mackie, no drivers are required on Mac or PC. For Windows you use Control Panel>Sound and set the Mackie as the I/O device. So, no ASIO driver, which may be why ASIO4ALL is being used.

As Darryl said, what is your buffer at - in Pro Tools an ASIO4ALL.

Will Pro Tools see the Mackie in Playback without ASIO4ALL?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-19-2019, 05:15 PM

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have tried buffer rates on both ends of the spectrum. My PC is powerful and should be able to handle hight buffer rates. I also made sure that the H/W Buffer and Asio buffer's matched. Currently, I have it at 1024 Samples.

I have looked for Mackie related drivers for windows but it is only for windows itself and not for pro tools. I also remember on my iMac there was a middle man I/O software to get my mixer and protools to communicate I.

Without ASIO4ALL, Pro Tools on launch says "Unable to locate hardware" However the rest of my PC uses my Hardware with no issues
Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM

“High buffer rates”? Something is confused there. A more powerful computer and better set up computer handles lower IO buffer sizes and higher sample rates.

What is your sample rate? Calculate *exactly* what the delay you expect is....

delay = # samples / session sample rate

1024 samples is a large IO buffer. It will cause obvious perceptible delays. If you are fighting latency with software monitoring while tracking you should try to decrease this number down to Something like 64 or 128 samples. You decrease as far as wanted or until limited by AAE CPU errors.

None of this may matter how “powerful” your computer is, running reliably at low IO buffer sizes is about getting all the little things right, and you are starting here using ASIO4ALL which is a significant handicap to operating at low IO buffer sizes.

If running at a small IO buffer size does not fix this then you have something else setup wrong, like a high-latency plugin or unnecessary signal routing. But you will only make progress once you get the IO buffer set small.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:07 PM

... but that all just explains latency, which after reading over all this more carefully is not what is happening. If you are not monitoring through Pro Tools that is all irrelevant and keep the IO buffer set high. The most obvious possible cause of a gross delay when you try to record is you have transport pre-roll enabled. (Look at the Pro Tools Reference Guide). But that cannot be all that is happening here, it could be other things misset, or the preferences or Pro Tools install is otherwise messed up. Basically you really want to trash prefs and try with an empty session...

First step in any troubleshooting is to trash prefs, have you done that? Guitardom’s Trasher tool will make that easier. Google for it.

After doing that try starting with a new completely empty session.

Still a problem move all plugins out of the plugin folder and reinstall Pro Tools.

Still having problems...Post a Sandra report for your PC.

See under “Help us Help you” up the top of each DUC web page for info on trashing prefs and Sandra reports.

Your mixer has limited use in recording, with only stereo out being recordable. I assume you fully know that. If you look for a dedicated interface in future make sure you get one with a manufacturer provided ASIO driver.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-19-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm aware that my mixer has only 1 L/R Output which is fine for what I use it for. I have used this setup for almost 2 years and the only new parameters are moving it to a PC and using ASIO4ALL.

I'll do a fresh setup and see if I can improve anything. I know for sure that preroll was not enabled when I started recording as the issue happens once I record enable the track and I never use preroll.

I'll follow your steps and see if I can come up with a solution

Thanks, Darryl
Old 10-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Yikes. I am at a loss as to what is going on. If you try things and it still happens them maybe posting a video screen capture on Youtube or similar and linking to it here might help to jog ideas with people since this seems so strange.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:46 AM

There's one thing that Darryl mentioned that might be important, try an empty session with no plugins, if the session has one plugin with a large latency and ADC is active, no matter how optimized is your setup the session will lag the same amount as the latency reported by the plugin to PT.