Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 08-03-2019, 01:04 AM

Default Windows 10 system restore deleted my ptx files!

I was having issues with my SSL converters today and tried a bunch of stuff and it all got so messy I thought I'd just do a system restore to get around it. My last restore point was about 2 weeks old, I restored to it, and afterwards, every ptx file for any session I'd done after that restore point was gone. For me that's about 20 sessions. All the rest of the folders for each session were still the same, just the session file - gone!
I cried a little, then undid the restore and they were back, but thought I'd post here just so others know to be cautious. It's not supposed to touch your data files, but it appears it doesn't like ptx extension files.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Windows 10 system restore deleted my ptx files!

Thanks for letting us know. And yet more justification for daily and automatic backups of our sessions sessions to external drives.

Really glad you got your stuff back Led.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 AM

I never trust System Restore. It's actually turned off permanently. I image my OS and Session drives nightly with Macrium Reflect. There are other imaging/clone programs, I just like MR.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-03-2019, 11:17 AM

I use "Acronis True Image", never system restore.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-04-2019, 06:41 AM

I have System Restore turned off, even on my everyday, non-ProTools computers. I also use Acronis True Image.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
I was having issues with my SSL converters today and tried a bunch of stuff and it all got so messy I thought I'd just do a system restore to get around it. My last restore point was about 2 weeks old, I restored to it, and afterwards, every ptx file for any session I'd done after that restore point was gone. For me that's about 20 sessions. All the rest of the folders for each session were still the same, just the session file - gone!
I cried a little, then undid the restore and they were back, but thought I'd post here just so others know to be cautious. It's not supposed to touch your data files, but it appears it doesn't like ptx extension files.
What drive were your ptx files on? If they are on drive C: then that's probably not a surprise(and they should be on a separate recording drive). If they already were, then I am as confused as you On the subject of backups, I am also pretty OCD on that. I used Acronis for years(several versions) but recently gave up on it because it will not clone correctly. Now I am using Backupper for cloning and imaging. Macrium Reflect is another option from drive imaging/cloning on Windows

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-07-2019, 08:36 PM

Another vote for a separate, dedicated recording drive. Yes, recording to the system drive might work, but do you really want to take that chance, when a 1tb drive can be had for under 100 bucks? What’s all your hard work worth when it disappears?
Old 08-08-2019, 12:25 AM

Yeah both good points, I normally use a different drive for my sessions, but it had some issues and I got lazy while waiting for a new M.2 to arrive to take it's place. I was using the program SSD then backing up after each day. I'd been so flat out I had gotten sloppy with backups for a couple of weeks, which ironically is precisely when you need to stay on top of it the most.
New drive is in and all is back to normal, I am now the only weak link in the chain..
Old 08-08-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
It's not supposed to touch your data files, but it appears it doesn't like ptx extension files.
Just a quick question for the OP - Where was the folder located for your sessions that the PTX files went missing - root, User, Documents, OneDrive? I used System Restore before and didn't have this issue with sessions stored in folders in the Documents folder. It was a while ago - some things may have changed.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:52 PM

In the documents folder...