Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-19-2019, 04:07 PM

Default USB Audio Routing Question

If I have a device that passes audio via USB, and PT 10 sees it, and can record the audio from that USB device.

Does anyone here know how to get the output of that live audio from ProTools to Factory 003 for monitoring?

Right now I'm having to switch Play Back engine back and forth. Problem is while recording, I cannot hear the audio from the USB device.

Thanks!
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 10-19-2019, 05:00 PM

Default Re: USB Audio Routing Question

What do you mean “PT 10” sees it... as the playback engine?

What exact USB device are you talking about?

The word you are looking for is *monitoring*. Your USB device likely has no hardware monitoring and so you need to use software monitoring in Pro Tools? And it’s likely you do not have input monitoring (Or track input monitoring if using Pro Tools 10 HD) correctly configured. The Pro Tools Reference guide explains all this.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:42 PM

Hi Darryl,

Quote:
What do you mean “PT 10” sees it... as the playback engine?
Yes, in the playback engine drop list in PT . When selected, I can record to pro tools. Just can't hear any audio going to my 003.

Quote:
What exact USB device are you talking about?
Line6 HX Stomp (which can be an Audio Interface for I/O).

Quote:
The word you are looking for is *monitoring*. Your USB device likely has no hardware monitoring and so you need to use software monitoring in Pro Tools? And it’s likely you do not have input monitoring (Or track input monitoring if using Pro Tools 10 HD) correctly configured. The Pro Tools Reference guide explains all this.
I don't have PT 10 HD, just PT 10. I have a feeling I'll have to abandon trying to use audio over USB, and just go L/R out into my pre's...

This is a PIA because I'm also using the L6 Stomp on my pedal board for effects on my regular guitar amps. So It will result in a workaround of cable swapping.

My goal was to permanently leave the 1/4" out patch cables as part of the regular guitar rig, and have the usb going to the Mac for recording. Except there is no way to get the audio over to the 003 from PT if HX Stomp is selected as the playback engine. (in which this setting, the stomp will record audio to PT Tracks.

I thought the aggregate would take care of this, but sadly it doesn't.
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 PM

Knowing the device is a Line 6 Stomp helps.

The Stomp has USB audio out, your first call should probably be be to try using that directly (not an aggregate) there are multiple channels of output look in the User Guide to understand. And yes then you will need to plug the Stomp analog outputs into your monitors.

Aggregation might also work, you can try it. If it works you should be able to do what you want. If the devices actually aggregate (does a 003 actually aggregate at all?) then what is happening? What IO paths show up... if things don't look right then try defaulting the IO (deleting all the paths and then click "Default" on the Setup>IO>input/output/bus pages). If they still don't look right just go in and manually name all the IO to whatever you want.

Get pre-recorded audio playing back out the outputs you want. Then worry about getting monitoring to work -- and if it is not then I expect you have Pro Tools in the wrong input monitoring mode.

...But aggregation tends to be buggy even if it works at all, and more so when trying to combine USB and Firewire interfaces. Personally I'd not waste time trying it. Worse case, swapping a few cables is not a huge amount of work.

The other question is why just record analog elsewhere in the signal path, wether DI and/or micing a cab.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Knowing the device is a Line 6 Stomp helps.

The Stomp has USB audio out, your first call should probably be be to try using that directly (not an aggregate) there are multiple channels of output look in the User Guide to understand. And yes then you will need to plug the Stomp analog outputs into your monitors.

Aggregation might also work, you can try it. If it works you should be able to do what you want. If the devices actually aggregate (does a 003 actually aggregate at all?) then what is happening? What IO paths show up... if things don't look right then try defaulting the IO (deleting all the paths and then click "Default" on the Setup>IO>input/output/bus pages). If they still don't look right just go in and manually name all the IO to whatever you want.

Get pre-recorded audio playing back out the outputs you want. Then worry about getting monitoring to work -- and if it is not then I expect you have Pro Tools in the wrong input monitoring mode.

...But aggregation tends to be buggy even if it works at all, and more so when trying to combine USB and Firewire interfaces. Personally I'd not waste time trying it. Worse case, swapping a few cables is not a huge amount of work.

The other question is why just record analog elsewhere in the signal path, wether DI and/or micing a cab.
Thanks Darryl. Mac was restored to previous backup, and I've abandoned USB audio. Just a few swaps of patches and all is good.

Thanks!
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub