How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Syncing pro tools hd and 3 camera live video shoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but I'm curious why two digital disc-based recording systems are still doing things like drifting apart in time? We're dealing with sampling rates of tens of thousands to a second, yet systems aren't independently keeping good enough time? How big a problem is this- say, what kind of drift might the OP expect over a 40 minute program? I've never met drift that I couldn't fix by correctly matching frame rates, but when I'm worried about sync it's usually just 3-minute videos- too short a time to notice the problem?
As Kelsey already mentioned, if you DON'T sync your audio to the video sync generator, your audio will drift over time... guaranteed. If you can have timecode going everywhere, that's good for keeping everything at the same 'location' when you mix, but if you don't have sync then timecode won't matter.

Having one MASTER CLOCK tells all devices "LOOK AT ME!! My signal of 59.94 Hz is what EVERYONE references to." Forty eight thousand samples per second where one second equals 59.94. Thirty frames (or sixty) of video where one second equals 59.94.

If you can only get one source from video, ALWAYS take video sync, and it doesn't have to be from a black burst generator... you can always run a video feed to the Sync IO and plug it into the video input, NOT video reference. The video carries the same reference signal embedded as black burst would generate.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Syncing pro tools hd and 3 camera live video shoot

Hello everyone on this topic,

So to recap: I would connect GenLoc out of the camera (our is a Panasonic AG-HPX371) into Sync HD Video in or Video Ref ?

And set the camera as Master Timecode and Sync Hd from Video sync source?

then, do I still need to connect the Sync HD video output to the Timecode In of the camera?

Thank you