Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Default Any way to create Aggregate MIDI Input devices?

I have a MIDI keyboard and a separate physical "knobs and faders" MIDI controller that I use to send CCs. I presently have to use the "ALL" selection as my MIDI Input on all of my Instrument and MIDI tracks (quite a lot). I haven't found a way to configure Pro Tools to ONLY use the keyboard AND the knobs-n-faders box. I was hoping the new Cmd-Click protocol that PT has been implementing would allow me to choose multiple MIDI Inputs, but nope. Someone tell me there is a better way? I'm willing to bet there isn't, but...

When using the ALL option as your MIDI Input, I wonder if the Input is also listening to the other VI/Instrument channels in the session, whose MIDI Outputs show up as MIDI Inputs for other tracks?

I wonder if this creates a drag on the system, by having multiple tracks "listening" to the MIDI output of all of these VIs?* *
Old 10-02-2019, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Any way to create Aggregate MIDI Input devices?

Hmmm, I run PC so am not sure if you can warp this to cover Mac....BUT:
You SHOULD not be forced to using the ALL setting. On my rig, I have 3 midi devices connected and configured under this menuin Pro Tools)Setup>Midi>Midi Studio.

In this menu, I created 3 "instruments". First is a Yamaha Motif es8 on all midi channels and its INPUT and OUTPUT paths are MOTU Fastlane USB 2. Next is an Ensoniq keyboard(only on Midi channel 1) with IO set for MOTU Fastlane USB 1(the MOTU box is a 2x2 Midi>USB interface). Third is a Komplete Kontrol S49 and the input is Komplete Kontrol S49 USB[Emuated]. With this setup, when I create instrument tracks, I can set for any of the 3 midi controllers, or even have 3 tracks working with 1 controller per track(example; Piano track with MiniGrand played from the Motif. Organ track with DB-33 and played from the Ensoniq. And Kontact played from the S49. Hopefully, you can use this example as a guide to configuring your stuff.

Last detail; if one of your midi controllers is NOT for playing instruments(like a HUI box instead of a keyboard or electronic drums), then that device would NOT be configured as above. Instead, it would probably be configured under the Peripherals menu, or the Midi>Input Devices menu. It might also be worth a search on youtube for "how to configure midi devices in Pro Tools"(without the quotes). It can be very non-obvious how to handle midi, but it PROBABLY can be made to work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 PM

Thanks, but that’s not really what I meant about how I want to use things. In my example, I have a MIDI keyboard and a Launchpad XL (knobs and faders). I want to play in a performance where I play notes on the keyboard with one hand, and use the knobs and faders on the Launchpad XL to vary the filter, modulation, expression, vibrato, etc on the same track with my other hand. The only way that I’ve been able to use both devices at the same time is by setting the MIDI Input of a track to “All”, as I haven’t found a way to select specific multiple devices as an Input.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Thanks, but that’s not really what I meant about how I want to use things. In my example, I have a MIDI keyboard and a Launchpad XL (knobs and faders). I want to play in a performance where I play notes on the keyboard with one hand, and use the knobs and faders on the Launchpad XL to vary the filter, modulation, expression, vibrato, etc on the same track with my other hand. The only way that I’ve been able to use both devices at the same time is by setting the MIDI Input of a track to “All”, as I haven’t found a way to select specific multiple devices as an Input.
Okay, then once all your devices are setup under the Setup>Midi>Midi Studio menu(so Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi info), leave your track set to receive from ALL(which is the default setting). The keyboard should trigger notes without any other fussing(though you MIGHT need to enable Record-ready on the track). The Launchpad knobs might need to be programmed, and that SHOULD be this simple: With the instrument plugin open on the screen, right-click any knob or switch and select Midi Learn, then tweak the knob on the Launchpad that you want to affect that knob.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:18 PM

Thanks Dave, but again you're missing the point.

I do not want to use "ALL" inputs. I have been using that for decades now, and I was hoping that maybe I just never took the time to find a "better" way. I'm just staring to think that this falls under the "Pro Tools MIDI features that REALLY should have gotten a polish since 2006" category.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 PM

Okay, why do you not want to use ALL? Did you neglect to mention other midi controllers in your setup? I'm only trying to show how to reach your goal with the least number of steps. Maybe just experiment with things in the Midi Studio setup window? Another option might be to use an Instrument track with your VI plugin that only receives input from the keyboard(create a Track Preset so that the midi input path is set to your keyboard), then add a Midi track next to it with the input set for the "knobs and faders" unit, and the midi OUTPUT of the Midi track set for the same instrument. That would(should) mean that note, sustain and pitch info will go on the Instrument track, and the knob and fader Midi info would go on the Midi track(put both tracks into Record). You still probably need to use the Midi-learn function to assign the knobs and faders to the parameters you want(I am not aware of default CC assignments)

BTW, a "Track Preset" can actually consist of many tracks(so you can build a preset that has both the Instrument track AND the Midi track, with all the routing assigned. And, (in theory, at least) the Midi-Learn assignments should remain and come up correctly configured each time you call that preset(you could also build this into a Track Template)

Old 10-09-2019, 05:14 PM

I don't want to use ALL because I have a load of Virtual Instrument tracks in my scoring template, and any time one of those tracks is active, it is included as an option in the MIDI Input Selector, as well as my "Predefined" devices, which also includes an Alesis iPad dock, MIDI in from Metagrid, and an IAC bus.

My curiosity/concern is wondering if, when a MIDI or Instrument Track is Record-Enabled, and set to "ALL" mode, if it is actively listening to every channel of every Input Device, including all of the VIs, and if so, does that have any negative effect on Pro Tools performance?

I was trying to test this theory myself, but could not find a way to select Multiple, but not ALL, MIDI Input Devices. I found no solution in the manual, or anyone having asked something similar via forum or Google searches, so that's why I asked here for clarification on this specific issue.

Since there hasn't been any clarification on this issue, I made a Feature Request via Avid Link about being able to select multiple-but-not-all MIDI Input Devices on a Track. (and I miss IdeaScale).
Old 10-11-2019, 01:24 AM

Not sure you have anything to worry about to be honest. I have a whole host of external synths, controllers, sequencers, Maschine, MIDI to CV converter etc. all connected via USB and usually a LOT of virtual instruments/VE Pro. They’re all happily active in Pro Tools. Doesn’t seem to impact performance at all. That said, I don’t use IAC.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I have a MIDI keyboard and a separate physical "knobs and faders" MIDI controller that I use to send CCs. I presently have to use the "ALL" selection as my MIDI Input on all of my Instrument and MIDI tracks (quite a lot). I haven't found a way to configure Pro Tools to ONLY use the keyboard AND the knobs-n-faders box. I was hoping the new Cmd-Click protocol that PT has been implementing would allow me to choose multiple MIDI Inputs, but nope. Someone tell me there is a better way? I'm willing to bet there isn't, but...

When using the ALL option as your MIDI Input, I wonder if the Input is also listening to the other VI/Instrument channels in the session, whose MIDI Outputs show up as MIDI Inputs for other tracks?

I wonder if this creates a drag on the system, by having multiple tracks "listening" to the MIDI output of all of these VIs?* *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwFM0LfCsH0

This is for fixing an other issue, but it should give you the steps to create your midi studio setup in Pro tools. Should be fairly similar in Mac.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-21-2019, 03:56 AM

I think you can do this with Bome's MIDI Translator Pro. You can route physical MIDI ports to a virtual port and then select the virtual port for track input in PT. There's a demo so if you're only doing a test, it shouldn't cost anything.