Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Waves SSL-G Channel on sale $29

I have bought this and the E Channel for $29 on different sales.

I have a bunch of Duende plugins, which I started buying when they were PCIe.

I was about to update my E channel and API bundle to Studio Classics for $100 (Audio Deluxe - was $135 on Waves) but decided not to. Then the G channel went on sale so I bought it.

It's been a while since I demoed the Waves SSL Buss Comp, but I liked my Duende buss comp better at the time (better being subjective).

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 09-05-2017, 03:17 PM

If you like the SSL buss comp you should look at Cytomic The Glue as it is an AMAZING sounding piece of software! We use it on all our recordings even though we run everything via our SSL4000G+ desk and it is less than $100. Super great dynamics and yes, it does colour quite a bit if you want it to.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-05-2017, 03:19 PM

^^agree to this, it's the classic compressor we all know with some very clever (and useful) additions.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Cytomic The Glue, Waves SSL G, and a desert island, and I'm happy.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:03 PM

Thanks! I'll check out The Glue.

Instagram:
Old 09-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Keep hearing good things about The Glue...

But god do I hate those two words together when used as a phrase!! It's one of the most over used expressions out there. It also has lead to many adopting the false notion that you need a special compressor on the master out to achieve any type of track cohesion. Indeed, it's the sum of many processes.

However, I do have the Waves & IK's SSL Compressor, both do a great job. I'm quite happy with those. Never tried them on the master out of all things!! Haha!!

When an idea becomes all too common much of the time I get turned off by it and go for something else. I very much hate being a monkey see, monkey do kind of person. I like to be able to think for myself.

That said, it's undeniable the influence the SSL compressor has had on our music for the last 30 or so years!!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:39 AM

Yesterday I finally had the chance to put SSL-G through its paces.

What a great plug. I love it on acoustic guitar and drums. A steal at $29 and a nice compliment to the Duende channel strip!

Instagram:
Old 09-19-2017, 01:02 PM

Big fan of The Glue here as well(replaced the Waves SSL comp when I moved to AAX as the Waves version was too expensive(at the time anyway). Would have jumped on the channel but for owning softube's Console 1 already

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2017, 01:38 PM

I want to check out The Glue at some point. I really dig the Duende Buss Comp, but am always open to something new.

Instagram:
Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 PM

On a related note, I discovered something recently about the SSL EQ that comes in the bundle with the two channel strips.

Previously I had assumed that the eq was the same found in the G-Channel Strip, however in a more recent discovery I found that out to be not the case. It's actually, in fact modelled after the G Series EQ292, where as the channel strip is an EQ383 model.

According to the documentation...

Quote:
The SSL G-Equalizer is modeled after the rack-mounted version of SSL’s G 292 EQ. The SSL G-Equalizer functions much like the E-Series EQ in Waves’ SSL E-Channel, so it is very easy to move back and forth between these two equalizers. This four-band equalizer offers marginally greater gain change than the E-Series EQ, and each EQ offers a slightly different equalization curve, so you will need to experiment with each equalizer to discover which best suits your specific needs.

https://www.waves.com/1lib/pdf/plugi...-equalizer.pdf
The fact that it was rack mount explains why Waves never did a whole strip or bothered to do an E-Series EQ. I tried to find more info on the subject matter, but i can only seem to get drips of information.

I did find this though, also on the Waves site. It does outline the differences between the two in a minimalist kind of way.

Quote:
Another major difference had to do with the internal componentry. Early E-Series consoles utilized what became known as the “Brown Knob” 02 circuitry, incorporating a “logarithmically symmetric” design that ensures that the ±3 dB up/down points in the low mid and high mid bands retain the same musical interval from the center frequency regardless of frequency and amplitude settings. In 1983, this was replaced with the “Black Knob” 242 EQ, developed in conjunction with legendary Beatles producer George Martin for the first (E Series) SSL console to be installed in AIR Studios. This circuitry offered enhanced cut and boost ranges (±18 dB instead of ±15 dB), along with a steeper 18-dB/octave high-pass filter for tighter control of low frequencies. G-Series consoles came equipped with newer 292 or 383 G-EQ circuitry, which offered greater gain change and a slightly different curve resulting from a pre-boost dip and a pre-cut rise, as well as a broader Q for more extreme equalization.

https://www.waves.com/ssl-e-channel-or-g-channel
I'd appreciate if anyone and a more consolidated form of information they could offer.

Last edited by simon.a.billington; 09-22-2017 at 07:38 PM.