Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2003, 05:27 AM

Default Screen Position.

ProTools seems to forget the Mix and Edit window positions everytime we close the software.
When we open ProTools, we need to reposition them.
And this is driving me nuts, because with all the crashes I get, I need to redo them everytime
I open ProTools. It crashed about 3 ~ 4 times today for no reason.
It just froze without error messages.

Old 10-21-2003, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Screen Position.

i have the same problem with the windows sizing .. it is really annoying, not to mention time consuming having to resize every time i start a project .. in a radio station production studio this happens a lot, as different people are in and out opening and closing different projects !

Hope there's a fix real soon .. or i may just throw my TDM out the window .. if i can get one resized to fit.
Birmingham, UK
Old 10-21-2003, 08:26 AM
cachemira

There is a program called Windowplacer that a guy has made.

It worked for me in 5.3.1 version, but with 6.1 it doesn´t work. Maybe you have more luck.

Search in the PTLE Forum and you can find there the link, I don´t remember where is it.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:19 PM

Hi! WindowsPlacer is dual monitors only I think..Search Win LE forums as mentioned, and then email the author. He will send you a link.

I do not have any problems with my Mix and Edit windows, but I may work a bit differently than others. I do not have them Maximized within PT, and everytime I open a session, there they are, right as I left them. However, the Transport and Big Counter windows always seem to be about 15-20 pixels or so lower than I saved as, and the System Usage window does the same.

I tried using the Maximize setting for the Edit and Mix windows and had problems as emntioned, or, saving a session with one of the windows minimized. Using the non-maximized windows, and then setting the size manually, having both "open" works fine for me- anyone else have this?

Another thing I have done, which I find invaluable, is through the use of an MS Intellimouse Explorer. I am sure there are others that will work similarly. With the MS IE mouse, I set the Intellipoint software to work differently for each app. On the Buttons tab, check the box for "enable program specific button settings," and then use "keystroke" for the buttons I want (other than the ones like right-click that do what I want as is with PT). For instance, I assign the top, smaller "thumb button" to swapping between the Edit and Mix windows. Very fast. There are other mice that have the ability to set macros, but I am quite happy with the MS IE.

If Digi would give us customizable keyboard shortcuts, with loadable, importable/exportable "profiles" for them...mmmm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:40 AM

i've done a search for windowsplacer and can't find anything .. any more ideas of where i could get this software ?
Birmingham, UK
Old 10-24-2003, 03:34 PM

Hi! The guy who did this is Swaphappy here on the DUC.
WindowsPlacer Thread with Download Link

Should be the top post after clicking that link. Link itself says "Windows Placer."

Hope that does it
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:01 PM

Thanks Ms.Nikki
I was hoping he would do a 6x version

George Ware
Old 10-27-2003, 03:16 AM

Just wanted to add that this is a problem for me as well. 5.3.1 was fine, but with 6.1 the mix and edit windows are always detached from the main frame. It's really annoying having a state-of-art bit of software that doesn't get the Windows basic stuff right!

Don't have problems with crashes, I've had some odd behaviour with plugins ( MasterX makes a mess of the GUI sometimes ).
Old 11-04-2003, 10:31 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for NVIDIA dual monitor cards. Window Placer works fine for the child windows WITHIN Pro Tools, but not for the MASTER Pro Tools window...because...

The latest NVIDIA software only maximizes to a single monitor, unless you hit shift-maximize, or display another "full-desktop maximize" button.

SOOOOO...what that means is any "Maximize" function that gets called (when ProTools starts, and also when WindowPlacer sets the window) will only maximize to ONE monitor (when in reality it needs to full-desktop maximize).

Anyone know a way around this? Can Pro Tools possibly NOT start maximized, please? Can Pro Tools also remember window positions?! (including the position of the Master Pro Tools program window)

Is there anyone from Digi who can comment on this situation, and when an update for these major problems will be available?

Thanks.

Dave
Old 11-05-2003, 03:32 AM

yes .. an update please .. it's a real pain in the butt, even with "windows placer", having to resize and reposition every time a new session gets opened (or pro tools crashes!)... and in radio production that happens a lot ... we very, very rarely get to open a project in the morning and work on the same thing all day !
Birmingham, UK