Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Fast Track C400 - general problem with driver?

Same problem here!
Sound keeps poping and stops suddenly!
Only rebooting Windows 8 bring the sound back
1.0.7 Works fine.
1.1.5 is a HORRIBLE driver!
Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM

I'm not much for these forums but it's the Fast Track C-400 that I have and it has been nothing but a problem since I got in in December 2015. The problem is that MacBook tells me the FT is drawing too much power and it disables the USB. The USB works with everything else. This has been going on since day one. I reboot and reboot and reboot and suddenly it works for no reason I can figure out and then, after recording a track or two, in the blink of an eye its back to drawing too much power. I have had it up and running for a few days one time and why, I'm not sure, but that was about it. I have been trying to get support by phone and on the www but both instances lead to dead ends because they are asking for a number without telling me where to find the number. The unit is still under warranty. This is an extremely frustrating situation because I am shut down and until I can call a number, have someone pick up the phone and help me I am stuck with a box with buttons and lights that serves no other purpose than to tempt me to put it on the floor and jump up and down on it. SO...can anybody PLEASE tell me how I can either get this box working or how I can get my money back. I would prefer to have it working.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan291 View Post
I'm not much for these forums but it's the Fast Track C-400 that I have and it has been nothing but a problem since I got in in December 2015. The problem is that MacBook tells me the FT is drawing too much power and it disables the USB. The USB works with everything else. This has been going on since day one. I reboot and reboot and reboot and suddenly it works for no reason I can figure out and then, after recording a track or two, in the blink of an eye its back to drawing too much power. I have had it up and running for a few days one time and why, I'm not sure, but that was about it. I have been trying to get support by phone and on the www but both instances lead to dead ends because they are asking for a number without telling me where to find the number. The unit is still under warranty. This is an extremely frustrating situation because I am shut down and until I can call a number, have someone pick up the phone and help me I am stuck with a box with buttons and lights that serves no other purpose than to tempt me to put it on the floor and jump up and down on it. SO...can anybody PLEASE tell me how I can either get this box working or how I can get my money back. I would prefer to have it working.
If only your Macbook is reporting this problem I would first suspect the MacBook. The USB current sense thing happening here is pretty low level and is a fault either in the interface hardware or Macbook. But it might be driver issues.

Telling us other USB devices work on the MacBook means nothing without knowing if the current they are supposed to draw is similar to a C400.

What exact MacBook? What OS X version? What USB ports USB2 USB3? USB-C via an adapter? Hopefully it's not really a MacBook (the current Macbook with single USB C connector) but really a MacBook Pro.

Check the external power supply on the MacBook is working correctly. Try talking to Apple support and maybe try the interface on similar other MacBooks. Take it to a genius bar with your Mac and try plugging it into other Macs there. Disconnect all other USB devices form the Mac. Try all the USB Ports. Try a quality USB 2 *Powered* hub between the Mac and the C400 (that may be a cheap work-around in the worse case, yes hubs are usually not recommended for audio interfaces, but try it).

The C400 has been discontinued for some while now so a bit of a surprise to see how a unit would still be under warranty. If you did not buy from an authorized Avid reseller you may not have warranty coverage.

It's not clear which support organization you are calling (Avid? MAudio?, hopefully Avid).

As for "number" I bet you whoever you are trying to contact are not asking for just "number" what exact number are you talking about? Serial number? Avid Support Code (ASC) number? You have to purchase an ASC online if you don't have one included in your purchase. Serial numbers are marked on the hardware.

If you know the unit has a hardware fault (e.g. fails on other computers) then you may be able to navigate Avid's support phone system to hardware service (not done this myself in ages) and get a hardware repair organized without an ASC. But if your unit is really not under warranty this will likely cost you much more than the unit is worth (which may be around $150 or so. Don't waste more money on repairs than it's worth).

Avid support for consumer products sucks (which other interface vendor makes it so hard to reach support?). Software/driver support for Avid consumer interfaces, suck. Unfortunately you purchased the last dying fragment of the Avid failed MAudio consumer products play. I suspect you are best off by checking carefully if the Mac or Interface you have is actually faulty or not. And if the interface is faulty 9and a powered hub does not give you a work around) then toss it out and buy a well supported interface from any number of vendors,... Focusrite, Presonus, MOTU, UAD, Apogee...

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-12-2016 at 03:28 PM.