Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-03-2003, 08:55 PM

Default vocal mics?

im trying to decide b/w getting the rode NTK mic or the groove tubes gt-66. does anyone have experience with these and which one will be better? thanks
Old 04-03-2003, 09:39 PM

Default Re: vocal mics?

the NTK is a real cool mic, no doubt...I did quite a comparison with the NTK and the Groove Tubes mic. the GT mic really sounded fuller, richer, and it sat in the mix a bit better.

BUT IT WASNT THE GT66! it was the not very much talked about Groove Tubes Model 1b (vintage tube) mic...if you can check that one out you will really be impressed. it lists for $699.00 but I have seen it for $485.00 (I think at Bayview)

I own one and it sounds so cool! I've ran it through tube pre's and neve clones and it sounds great!..believe it or not, even through those very sterile digi pre's it retained its tonal quality.

sorry for not responding directly to your question, I'm just real high on that model 1b. believe me, I have searched and searched for the right vocal mic for "my voice type"

just thought I'd share that with you in case you get a chance to hear it. (its the stainless steel one, not the black FET version)

Everyone around here is so high on the NTK, I think if they heard this mic they really might have changed there minds...

GT mics sound great, good luck to ya!
Old 04-03-2003, 09:50 PM

I've used both the GT mics mentioned, and I prefer the NTK. I prefer it's more natural sounding lows to the GT mics, and found the mids to be vry accurate. every vocalist that has used it has been overwhelmingly happy with it's sound.

However, a vocal mic (or any mic) is only as good as the preamp it routes to.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:51 AM

The NTK is great.
Off the subject I have just recorded a band using only an sm57 for the vocals thru a fr platinum penta, got great results.
The ol sm57 trick, so good yet so underated.

except by the rhcpeppers, the sole vox mic for blood sugar sex magic...

AJ
Old 04-04-2003, 09:58 AM

well for my preamp right now i have a focusrite voicemaster. would that degrade the quality of the microphone routing to that? but im also saving up to try to get a voicemaster pro.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by where02190:
every vocalist that has used it has been overwhelmingly happy with it's sound.

However, a vocal mic (or any mic) is only as good as the preamp it routes to.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well hate to break this to you, but this vocalsit wasnt "overwhelmingly happy with the sound"

as a matter of fact, using a Vintech X73, Great River, an Avalon 737, a TL Audio tube, and low end ARTs, DBX and even the digi pre's (all for vocals)...it was obvious that the low end of the model 1b was much fuller and more natural sounding than the NTK....

the NTK even sounds a bit more scooped across the mids when directly compared..as i like the NTK, it was not "overwhelming" nor is it a mic that sounds great on "every vocalist" (as with any mic, including the model 1b)

the TLM 103, the NTK and the Model 1b were extensivley tested for the purpose of finding the best mic for "my voice"...finding the right mic for a singer can be an exhausting task. as a singer i can relate to anyones difficult quest in finding that "comfort zone"

"However, a vocal mic (or any mic) is only as good as the preamp it routes to".

or is only as good as the vocalist who's singing into it!

vx2kfilmer,

it would be a real good idea to rent or purchase a couple of these mics and test them out on "your voice type" (then returm em)...I'm not sure how extensivley where### directly A/B in his testing, maybe he did, but I found great results in my choice..

just remember, all "us" know-it-alls around here love to give our "pro" opinions..with anything ask the questions but go test for yourself, its really the only way.

good luck
Old 04-04-2003, 10:36 AM

I have an NTV which I use for vocals and for acoustic guitar and I highly recommend.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vx2kfilmer:
well for my preamp right now i have a focusrite voicemaster. would that degrade the quality of the microphone routing to that? but im also saving up to try to get a voicemaster pro.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">the NTK or the GT will sound just fine using the Voice Master or the PRO...as I said even with the digi pre's the GT model 1b and the NTK sounded true to there tube essance...I'm sure someone will say dont get the VM Pro cause its not a "world class pre" but you should be very happy with the results....can you go to a local GC and test out the mics? cause that would really be helpfull to ya.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:47 AM

Does anyone like the Shure KSM44?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:09 AM

I own the GT66 and have been very pleased with it, as a vocal mic as well as a room mic for electric guitar. I certainly recommend it.

NP