Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-11-2006, 04:18 PM

Default High tone on my monitors

I set up my new MBox2 with a new pair of active monitors, connected with new symmetrical cables. As soon as I open an app that uses Core Audio (i.e. PT LE 7, iTunes, Logic) I have a high pitched permanent tone I can't get rid of.

It's always the same volume and doesn't change with the volume setting on the monitors. It occurs when the monitors are connected to the main outs and to the headphone out. It does not occur listening through headphones. It's gone as soon as I quit any of the apps mentioned above.

And it drives me CRAZY!! Hopefully someone can help. Thanks in advance,
Tom

Old 02-11-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: High tone on my monitors

10.4.4 isn't supported... any chance you can try it on a 10.4.3 machine? Seems like everyone that's posting weird problems lately also happen to be running 10.4.4.

You could also try a different USB port on the Mac, or a Powered USB hub.

Just guesses, not sure any of that will work.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Sounds like you are having a ground loop problem (it has to do with the power circuit in your building) as I do. I've talked to many people who all suggested to use a power conditoner in the hope to get rid of the hum, but it still evidently failed. I was told if we could hange the location of our station i.e. to place the computer+002 rack+speakers in another room, the groud loop might go away.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:22 PM

I doubt it's a ground loop problem, although a power conditioner is a good idea to protect your equipment. Most ground loop noise is going to be on the low frequency side. I use PT7 on a G5 Quad and after I DL'ed PT7cs4, I am having much better luck.
Old 02-11-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I set up my new MBox2 with a new pair of active monitors, connected with new symmetrical cables. As soon as I open an app that uses Core Audio (i.e. PT LE 7, iTunes, Logic) I have a high pitched permanent tone I can't get rid of.

Only with core audio huh? have you turned off "nap" on the cpu preferences? If you don't have a cpu preference pane, you need to download the CHUD utilities from apple, and install them, it will add the CPU Preference pane. I have a problem with a high pitch noise coming from my monitors attached to my powerbook, and on G5's whenever "nap" is turned on.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:28 AM

Only with core audio huh? have you turned off "nap" on the cpu preferences? If you don't have a cpu preference pane, you need to download the CHUD utilities from apple, and install them, it will add the CPU Preference pane. I have a problem with a high pitch noise coming from my monitors attached to my powerbook, and on G5's whenever "nap" is turned on.

[/QUOTE]

I will give that a try. "Nap" is something that came up quite a few times when talking about noise on a G5. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:29 AM

Do you have an iPod hooked up to your computer? I've often noticed that I get a high pitched whining sound through my monitors when my Pod is sitting in the dock- it's really annoying...

Best,
Andrew
Old 02-12-2006, 09:18 AM

I've installed CHUD tools, but could not find the cpu preference pane. Can you kindly tell me where to find it? Many thanks!
Old 02-12-2006, 09:30 AM

Found the Nap option in System Preferences, under Processor in Hardware. Turned it off, but the hum still remains....
Old 02-13-2006, 09:14 AM

I had the same (high-frequency) noise, if i started any application which uses the core-audio-driver or i started protools, and it made me crazy, too. I also didn´t hear it in my headphones, because my headphones are not connected to a power socket and/or ground. It is a ground loop problem. It disappeared completely after connecting the mbox2 with symmetric (2x 1/4" jack TRS <-> TRS 1/4" jack) cables to my monitors. After that, connecting other stuff like synths or mics to the line inputs of mbox 2 also didn´t produce the noise, except of one synth. I still have one combination of devices, which causes the problem.

You have to check your complete setup. Disconnect every cable, which is not nessesary for testing, from your mbox/computer/monitors. Try to find out, if there is any connection, which causes the problem.

Try to use only symmetric cables, where it is ever possible!! Try to turn off all other electric devices in your room. Try to turnaround (180 degrees) all power plugs (one after one) of your equipment in all power sockets. Try shorter cables, other cables, ohter ways for the cables. Try different usb-ports.

Check out websites, which contain informations about ground loops and hum.