Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-10-2021, 12:34 PM

Default Gray Compressor

So I used to have this thing called Gray Compressor. Came for free in the extra downloads. Just launched a old session that had it on it, and its telling me I don't have it.

No clue what happened or why. That said, I went to my product page to find the download again (remember that list of lots of free plug ins, basically a bunch of stomp boxes or low level plug ins of the sort, I could be wrong as I forgot the exact names but Black Spring, Black Shinny Wah, Green something and Gray Compressor, etc..) and well, that list is no where to be found.

Curious if anyone else might know what's going on here and how I get Gray Compressor back ? I seen its for sale for $5, but I used to have it, so don't wanna buy it if I don't need to.

Please let me know if anyone has experienced this as well and knows the answer. Thanks guys !
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 02-10-2021, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Gray Compressor

It is included in Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle, perhaps yours has expired?
Old 02-10-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It is included in Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle, perhaps yours has expired?
Thanks for the reply JF

I mean, I never paid for anything to get it in the first place, so not sure what could have expired. Everything I paid for I still pay. I purchased ProTools, perpetual license, and subscribe to the Annual Upgrade and Support Plan. Used to have Gray Compressor, now I don't.

After I bought Pro Tools years ago, I went to the extra downloads place and there was a long list of them separate lower level plugs. I downloaded them all. Been using them. Now 1 is gone. lol That I can tell anyway. That same download list is no longer in my downloads section on that page. Unless its named something now that I do not recognize. I do not see any Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle. Nor the list I used to see (separate plugins with n group name).

I updated to 2020.9.1 a couple months ago. Don't know if that wiped it out ?

Any clue why its gone ? Or how I get it back ? Like did the "retract" them as free and now you gotta buy them ? I personally think the Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle came with a purchase of PT and/or the U&S Plan and thats how I got it in the first place. ?? No ? Expire ? How ? I bought perpetual PT license.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 02-10-2021, 01:16 PM

I have the Gray Compressor. I never used it, and I never paid for it. I guess I could make it available to you.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I have the Gray Compressor. I never used it, and I never paid for it. I guess I could make it available to you.
Thanks Ben, yea I think that would be ok too, because technically as you and I are pointing out, this is a free plugin, that has somehow disappeared from my list. I triple checked my plugins folder too. Not there. Oddly the Black and Green, etc.. stuff IS all there !

Whats going on here ? Plus my Avid Link thing doesn't tell me I have these plugs to update or missing or anything like it used to. It no longer even has these listed.

I want to also say as you, I never use this plugin. Used it that one time ! Its just now that it was there, I can tell its missing as the sound doesn't sound right and on top of that, trying to dial it in with a "better" higher end compressor plugin is failing miserably.. I had some one of a kind magic process happen I guess. So by no means do I think this is a great plug in and I am upset I do not have it.. no. And I do have plenty others that are better. But I'm not getting the sound to sit like it used to any other way.. Hence me posting this.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 02-10-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Any clue why its gone ? Or how I get it back ?
If you have the license, easiest would be installing Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle and on next PT launch accept that PT throws all unlicensed plugins to unused folder. Sorry I don't remember which package it has, for some reason I am thinking Eleven mkII but as I have everything I think I really haven't installed that plugin separately.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:47 PM

Here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uyI...ew?usp=sharing
Old 02-10-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If you have the license, easiest would be installing Avid Complete Plug-In Bundle and on next PT launch accept that PT throws all unlicensed plugins to unused folder. Sorry I don't remember which package it has, for some reason I am thinking Eleven mkII but as I have everything I think I really haven't installed that plugin separately.
After more research I discovered I have literally all the AIR and StompboxEffects and other things from the Complete Bundle but I do not have a few other things. These things I do not have happen to be in blue writing on the websites page for the Complete bundle. So I do not own or ever had the complete bundle, BUT its proof that what I do have (gray compressor included) is also from another included package with what I own.

So long story short, the entire StompBoxEffects collection is not only obtainable through the Complete Bundle. And they are included with my purchase. There is no reason why 1 plugin would just disappear and I keep all the others if I did not own them all. Something weird happened. And oddly Avid doesn't;t have these for individual download anymore. Why ? IDK.

Go here: https://www.avid.com/plugins/avid-co...-plugin-bundle

Scroll through it all. Everything listed in black text I own and always have since I purchased PT. Everything in blue text, I do not own. So Gray Compressor (and EVERYTHING in black text there) has licenses obtainable somewhere else too, and is included in my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Thanks Ben ! Got it.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 PM

The Gray compressor is fairly well known, at least by guitar folks, it's the plugin port of the Gray compressor from the Eleven Rack based on the Ross Compressor. e.g. https://treysguitarrig.com/treys-pedals/ross-compressor which was available for a while as a reissue and seems to have disappeared again.

What exact license(s), including expired subscriptions do you have for Avid plugins on your iLok/in your iLok account? It may well have obtained an expiring license as a part of the promotion bundle mentioned here: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...s-now-499-each

If so a download is not going to help you. Or are you really missing the Gray compressor in the plugin folder? If so any installer may have been removed from your Avid accounts download if it was part of an expired promotion. But you should always been the downloads available in your Avid Download center (that's different then your user account product downloads).
Old 02-10-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The Gray compressor is fairly well known, at least by guitar folks, it's the plugin port of the Gray compressor from the Eleven Rack based on the Ross Compressor. e.g. https://treysguitarrig.com/treys-pedals/ross-compressor which was available for a while as a reissue and seems to have disappeared again.

What exact license(s), including expired subscriptions do you have for Avid plugins on your iLok/in your iLok account? It may well have obtained an expiring license as a part of the promotion bundle mentioned here: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...s-now-499-each

If so a download is not going to help you. Or are you really missing the Gray compressor in the plugin folder? If so any installer may have been removed from your Avid accounts download if it was part of an expired promotion. But you should always been the downloads available in your Avid Download center (that's different then your user account product downloads).
Thanks for chiming in Darryl. So I am unsure on my iLok, as I have so many licenses I get dizzy looking at that thing, lol But all I should own via Avid (besides old old stuff like PTHD, etc..) is Pro Tools and the Upgrade license thing.

When Ben sent that plugin file, I put it in my folder and it works fine I am back on track ! The license for the AIR, StompBoxEffects and a few others comes with a purchase of PT. It has to cause that's when I got it. Then I just been upgrading PT from that point. All been fine till I noticed Gray Compressor and only Gray Compressor somehow disappeared. Not the license, but the actual file ! How ? I have no clue.

BUT what you may have taught me is the Avid Download Center vs Account Product downloads. Where is the Avid Download Center and how do I find that ?

Either way, I am indeed all taken care of now. So that also hints to me having the license, nothing expired. The plugin file just disappeared. And oddly just it did as all the other plugins packaged with THAT plugin I still have and are fine working. Another hint that no license expired.

EDIT -- Just checked that link you gave - So yes apparently the StompBoxEffect bundle is packaged with my Annual Upgrade and Support Plan Subscription. If it isn't anymore, then I am grandfathered in from when I first bought it. And never let the subscription run out. Also, as mentioned a lot more is bundled with my original purchase, as should be.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]