Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-27-2020, 02:45 PM

Default Ringing during playback of printed track

I'm trying to print some drum samples in 2020.5 Ultimate. When I record it the samples sound fine while monitoring it but when I play it back after the recording is finished the track is ringing. The waveform looks like a kick sample should.

I have tried changing inputs and outputs to no avail. I trashed the prefs and no difference. I also tried bussing the signal rather than using an output and still no change. It did it earlier when i tried to print a bass track through a Manley Elop.

I tried eliminating all outboard gear just to see if that was a problem but no change.

The system is as follows:
HDX card

Dell T5810 with 6 core 3.5ghz CPU and 64gb ram with NVME drives

Avid Omni and Digidesign 192 interfaces running some outboard gear
HDX, Mac Studio, Rupert Neve 511 x 9, Rupert Neve 551 x 8, Manley Variable Mu, Massive Passive, Stereo Pultec, ELOP, VoxBox, and DVC, DBX 160s, Daking Fet III, Distressors, M905 Monitor Controller and other cool stuff.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Ringing during playback of printed track

Need complete details on your samples and routing to get decent advice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Need complete details on your samples and routing to get decent advice

The plugin is the Steven Slate Trigger Platinum and his samples that come with it.

My Avid Omni is the primary and my 16x8 192 is plugged in off the expansion port. For outboard I'm using the channels 1-2 on the 192 for my Manley Massive Passive going into my DBX 160S. Channels 3-4 are for my Manley Elop.

I can mix my song just fine but as soon as I print or bounce to disk I get that ringing sound. It's like the kick has been replaced with a ring. I'm running Trigger on all the drums and that is only one affected, but again only while I bounce or print.

I'm starting to suspect it is the plugin.
HDX, Mac Studio, Rupert Neve 511 x 9, Rupert Neve 551 x 8, Manley Variable Mu, Massive Passive, Stereo Pultec, ELOP, VoxBox, and DVC, DBX 160s, Daking Fet III, Distressors, M905 Monitor Controller and other cool stuff.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:29 AM

Me too. Do you have any other drum VI to test? Maybe download a trial of EZdrummer or Addictive Drums? I use Superior Drummer 3 and it works very nicely(not only as a drum VI, but also as a drum replacement tool). I also have trigger but use it less and less these days as SD3 seems to work as well(if it has sounds that work for your needs)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Could your samples and printed audio be playing back together, creating phasing?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 07-29-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Me too. Do you have any other drum VI to test? Maybe download a trial of EZdrummer or Addictive Drums? I use Superior Drummer 3 and it works very nicely(not only as a drum VI, but also as a drum replacement tool). I also have trigger but use it less and less these days as SD3 seems to work as well(if it has sounds that work for your needs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Could your samples and printed audio be playing back together, creating phasing?

I reinstalled PT 2020.5 and it is still doing it. I also tried printing a bass track through my outboard gear and it's making the bass track ring as well.

I tried muting the original track and no change. The weird part is that is plays just fine but once something is recorded it gets all ringy.