Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Default Logic 9 / PT9 HD TDM on same machine...?

just wondering if anyone is running Logic 9 on the same machine as PT9 TDM, streaming multiple channels of Logic into Pro Tools, hopefully internally (without additional interfaces for Logic)...?

I'm doing this rather nicely on my Native rig using Soundflower (16 ch) and now I NEED it for a TDM situation.

I would love to know how people are doing this if anyone is.

Thanx
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Logic 9 / PT9 HD TDM on same machine...?

Search is your friend....

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...logic+protools
Old 05-06-2011, 03:47 AM

Smile Re: Logic 9 / PT9 HD TDM on same machine...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Bash,

This info I know all too well (IAC, etc) - use it all the time. What I'm looking for is a way to route audio from Logic to PT on the same machine as a PT TDM system and route the audio internally through some software solution.

syncing the 2 programs together has been easy enough to do for at least the last 100 years. Now, can we please come up with some simple solutions for things that users have been asking for, for a long, long time?

The key problem here is that on a TDM rig, one cannot use an aggregate device with TDM hardware, so soundflower will not work. I am trying to see if I can do this with Plogue Bidule, but it's a bit of a cryptic learning curve.

Thx though for your response.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:35 AM

I use a m-audio lightbridge firewire interface connected to PT interfaces (up to 32 Stereo Adat-Channels)

I think this is the most stable solution to connect Logic and a TDM system

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 AM

You could try this--

http://www.jackosx.com/

Honestly, I've been through these solutions--there was another called Wormhole. The fact is they've never been that elegant, and you could find original MOTU 828's that let you send banks of 8 channels via ADAT that made more sense. Yes, it would be nice to do it all in software somehow, but there always seemed to be performance bottlenecks, with VI's with huge sample sets and advanced RTAS plugs already making demands, and it just made sense if there was an easier hardware solution to simplify life.

It can be fun to see these apps in action, though, from a tinkering standpoint, but my gut reaction is to save the effort. I'm sorry if I didn't understand you were focusing on passing inter-app audio in your OP.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 AM

Wink Re: Logic 9 / PT9 HD TDM on same machine...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
It can be fun to see these apps in action, though, from a tinkering standpoint, but my gut reaction is to save the effort.
I agree completely and hardware is most likely the way to go, even at this most futuristic moment in time.

After a lot of intense research to get a solution going asap, I think I've come up with something that may be fairly clever.

The TDM rig has Mytek 8 channel interfaces, 6 of them for 48 I/O. Each interface has a Pro Tools option card in option slot 1. I'm thinking to put a Mytek Firewire card into the 2nd slot of Interfaces 5 & 6 (these 2 cards would be daisy-chained and connected to the Mac Pro's firewire port). What I'm hoping for is that Pro Tools will still 'see' all 6 interfaces and Logic will 'see' the last 2 as a 16 channel firewire interface. At that point I can choose 'Option Card 2' as the source for digital outputs on the last 2 interfaces, which should feed to option card 1 (Pro Tools), creating a 16 channel (even at 192k) bridge.

This is a slight 'cheat' as 2 programs will in effect be 'seeing' the same interface, but really just 'seeing' it's option card.

I really think it's gonna work, but if anyone knows better, please alert me. I'm gonna order these cards with the caveat (to the dealer) that I may have to return them.

I'll report back with results in about a week.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzoid View Post
The TDM rig has Mytek 8 channel interfaces, 6 of them for 48 I/O. Each interface has a Pro Tools option card in option slot 1. I'm thinking to put a Mytek Firewire card into the 2nd slot of Interfaces 5 & 6 (these 2 cards would be daisy-chained and connected to the Mac Pro's firewire port). What I'm hoping for is that Pro Tools will still 'see' all 6 interfaces and Logic will 'see' the last 2 as a 16 channel firewire interface. At that point I can choose 'Option Card 2' as the source for digital outputs on the last 2 interfaces, which should feed to option card 1 (Pro Tools), creating a 16 channel (even at 192k) bridge.

This is a slight 'cheat' as 2 programs will in effect be 'seeing' the same interface, but really just 'seeing' it's option card.

Wow that's a lot of Mytek--cool. Good luck. I hope the Myteks let you access both option cards like that at once. I used to run two original 828's into the Digi ADAT I/O box. I was running a lot of VI's and doing all my midi programming in Logic pre-PT8. I had very few hiccups with 16 channels going from Logic to PT. But then I also tried using Logic as a reverb farm with four stereo channels of Sound Designer, adding a third 828, and that's where the machine threw in the towel. So I don't know if it was a Firewire limitation, or just sheer lack of CPU muscle-power, but I just decided to not go any further down that path. And that was with my current quad-core Harpertown. Now that midi is much more capable in PT, I just decided to live with some of the programming clunkiness in PT for the advantages of working in only one program.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 AM

just spoke to someone at Mytek, who says that this will work and that a few others are actually doing this.

My biggest problem may be bandwidth on the firewire bus, as there is actually only one bus (with 4 ports) on the Mac Pro. I'm got a remote superdrive (on a 10 meter firewire cable, as the CPU is in a machine room) that gets occasional use and also will be adding a UAD-2 Satellite Quad Omni (as we're out of PCI slots) as well.

will post results...