Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Switching from WIN to MAC: Planned Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Just chiming in here as I switched from PC to Mac just before Xmas and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Should have done it a long time ago
Same here, and around the same time. I couldn't be happier. I went with an iMac Pro which is a joy with PT, but I realize that is at a much higher price point. I also have a late 2016 MacBook Pro which is plenty powerful for most of my work.

Initially, I considered a Mac Mini ... very briefly. You do not want a 5400 RPM drive or fusion drive. To get an SSD of reasonable capacity, more RAM, faster CPU (still only dual core) the price point of a Mac Mini is approaching a decent MacBook Pro or iMac. And, as has been mentioned, there are all the peripherals and associated cables.

I would look into a late 2016 MacBook Pro or an iMac. Check the prices at B&H.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
I would look into a late 2016 MacBook Pro or an iMac. Check the prices at B&H.
If you're set on a Mac, B&H has some of the best deals that I've seen. Ever since Apple discontinued the quad Mini, there is just no value there. I shopped one of these for a friend a couple of weeks ago: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...inch_with.html

If you're going to spend upwards of $1600 on a Mini, go the extra distance for the quad MBP. The Apple refurb store also has a 2015 available for $1699 if your budget is that tight.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 03-13-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruhiker View Post
That's why I posted so I could get the honest scoop.

My reason for choosing a mini for portability is its usually pretty easy to get the use of an onsite screen to use so I figured the mini would be an easy portable option. For quick setup.

I've never really had a laptop so its never been in my target vision as a possibility. First and foremost was budget concerns that steered me to the mac mini, but i clearly missed a couple key specs. I'll give the laptop a closer look.

Thanks!
You're fooling yourself if you think you can get an onsite screen easily. I doubt anyone would have a spare screen to let you use. That being said there's also the variability in quality and screen size/resolution in screens. You get used to working on one screen and go somewheres and the screen is completely different. Also a different screen might not have the right connections to your computer - think of all the adapters you'd have to carry.

Complexity is NOT what you want in a portable setup. Too many separate pieces to go wrong at the wrong time.

If you're really that strapped for funds don't be afraid at looking at a refurb. OWC has different models in Mini's, laptops and desktops. And again ask yourself: do you really NEED a portable recording system? Where are you going to work more - at home or portable? If you want to do both you may want to look at a 13 inch MacBookPro and a separate large screen for work at home.

QAPLA!
Old 03-13-2018, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions on a laptop.
Definitely going that direction now.
I guess I've been lucky and have always been able to arrange a screen ahead of time. Regardless, the ultimate portability of a macbook is obviously superior to the mini. And, I can take my work with me when I travel on vacations, for a change.

A quad core i7 and 16gbyte ram is what im working with now but I suspect the macbook uses it more efficiently than my windows machine. And I can use it as my main computer until I can get a permanent home mac. Plus, I still have my custom pc which I don't need to retire anytime soon, so....Macbook definitely makes the most sense for me now. Like i say budget drove me at first but this direction is worth the extra expense. The other toys can come later.

Definitely searching the b&h and owc websites right now.

Thanks!

Win 10; Pro Tools 12.6; Focusrite Saffire Pro 40; GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011 Intel X79; Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz LGA 2011 Quad-Core; G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); Audio Drive- Western Digital WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM; Western Digital WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM
Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
A quad core i7 and 16gbyte ram is what im working with now but I suspect the macbook uses it more efficiently than my windows machine.
Not necessarily, but still, a MBP is a way better choice than where you were at. I don't believe that I have ever seen bigger discounts than those offered on the 2016 MBPs at B&H. Pay very close attention to the specs because competitors like Best Buy are discounting also, but for the same price you'll end up with half the size SSD.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I don't believe that I have ever seen bigger discounts than those offered on the 2016 MBPs at B&H.
I am leaning toward the one you sent me the link for. Is that an adequate sized processor to handle medium-large sessions? I feel it is but I'm new here.

Should I consider a faster processor than 2.6 GHz?

Win 10; Pro Tools 12.6; Focusrite Saffire Pro 40; GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011 Intel X79; Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz LGA 2011 Quad-Core; G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800); Audio Drive- Western Digital WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM; Western Digital WD Black 500GB 7200 RPM
Old 03-14-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I am leaning toward the one you sent me the link for. Is that an adequate sized processor to handle medium-large sessions? I feel it is but I'm new here.

Should I consider a faster processor than 2.6 GHz?
I use a late 2012 mac mini which i upgraded myself following a YouTube video to 16G ram and 500G SSD. I use a Drobo 5D raid mirror connected via thunderbolt, which I track to directly, drives installed are Seagate Bareacuda 2TB. I am using PT12 wirh Apogee ensemble thunderbolt, Focusrite Pro40 and Octopre via ADAT and ART DPS ll valve pre connected using SPDF. All work together great. No problems with 12 Tracks simultameous recording. Get very occasional CPU error message but this has not happened for weeks and seems to be normal whatever computer you use. Largest sessions I mix are probably up to 30 tracks

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 01:47 PM

You won't regret the MBP in anyways. In my experience it smokes Windows machines. Done with those.

While we're at it, my MBP 2016 has only 256 Gb internal SSD, can I have it upgraded with a 500 Gb drive? (sorry for hitch hiking the thread)

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.