Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Default Where Are My Plug ins?

I'm a long time PT user, but just upgraded from 5 to 10 and 11 - need some very basic info.
1-When I installed PT, two instrument folders ended up on my desktop. One is called "Dance DJ" and the other "Hip Hop" - seems to be a bunch of virtual instruments and/or loops. What are these used for and where should they be kept, somewhere else besides the desktop?
2-where are all my plugins kept? I've looked in the Avid folder, the plugins folder, the digidesign>plugins folder and don't see them. The plugins I use all show up in PT but I just want to know where they are kept on the computer and want to see them. Plus, I have some older RTAS plugins on another drive from older versions of PT...can I drag them somewhere to have them be loaded into PT 10? I have 11 and 10 co-installed right now, but using only 10 as I'm waiting for more plugs to become aax-64bit compatible. Thanks.
PT 11
NI Komplete 9
Yes, I used a 1999 G4 and 001 PT 5.2 for 13 years!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Where Are My Plug ins?

Newer OSX versions hide the folders from you, there is a command for showing the hidden holders. I thought the directions for showing the hidden folders was in the Getting Started Read Me.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

I posted this in another thread, and it lists the path for the AAX plug-ins and the RTAS plug-ins:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
Start by removing any of the Avid plug-ins on that list from the following folders...

AAX (.aaxplugin extension) plug-ins folder:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

RTAS, AS and TDM (.dpm extension) plug-ins folder:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

For the Avid plug-ins, you won't need the .dpm version if there is an .aaxplugin version.
Don't delete any of the Avid plug-ins with "Free" in the name, such as "Eleven Free", since those are part of the core included plug-ins.

Then reinstall the v11 Avid plug-ins from the links and list here:
Sticky: Avid 64-bit AAX Plug-ins for Pro Tools 11

Then check the list here:
Sticky: 3rd party 64-bit AAX Plug-ins for Pro Tools 11

For the 3rd party plug-ins, you won't need the .dpm version if there is an .aaxplugin version that is both 64-bit for Pro Tools 11 and 32-bit for Pro Tools 10. But if any of these are 64-bit only, you may have to hang onto the RTAS versions for Pro Tools 10.

If any of the 3rd party plug-ins are AAX 32-bit only, then they will not work in Pro Tools 11. Check that list for which ones are 64-bit for PT 11.
The files you mentioned that are on your desktop are 2 of the Big Fish audio loops. You can store them anywhere you want, since you would copy them into a session anyway to use them. Given the size of all of the loops, you might want to put them on a drive you use for backup or for sessions, it doesn't matter, but you can move them to save space on your startup drive if you want. More info on those loops and other content you may need to install can be found in this post:
How to Activate and Download Pro Tools 11
Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM

thank you bruce - I found the Avid folder and what I'm assuming are the aax 64-bit plugs, however the avid folder is not found in the Library/Application Support folder. Oddly enough, it is found in the applications folder. there is an avid folder there, with everything that has to do with pro tools including a plug ins folder. I still don;t think I can find the Digidesign folder either...what I found is in Library/Application support. There is a Digidesign folder there, but when I open it, all it has in it is a folder called NTL and another called graphics. And that's it.
I don't guess I should worry about it, as the system is working fine, but I'm just old school and want to know where everything is should a problem comes up in the future. thanks for any info anyone can give.
PT 11
NI Komplete 9
Old 09-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Oh, gosh - I feel stupid now....I found it all. I was looking from the finder...
thanks anyway....
PT 11
NI Komplete 9
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Oddly enough, it is found in the applications folder. there is an avid folder there, with everything that has to do with pro tools including a plug ins folder.
The "AAX Plug-ins" folder in Applications/Avid/Pro Tools/ is an alias (Get Info on the folder and it will show the original location:
/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

Right-click on the AAX Plug-ins folder in Applications, and choose "Show Original".

You may be looking at your user account Library, which is not the same as your System Library. From the Pro Tools 11 Read Me for Mac:
Quote:
In Mac OS X 10.7.x - 10.8.x, the Library folder in each User folder is hidden
DigiTrace logs, which can be helpful in troubleshooting Pro Tools errors, are stored in User/Library. These logs will be more difficult to find if the Library folder is hidden.

To find the Library folder:
• Go to the Finder and click the Go menu while holding the Option key. Library will appear in the menu while the Option key is held.

To display all hidden files and folders in an Open dialog:
• Press Command+Shift.

To permanently unhide the Library folder:

1 - Launch Terminal.
2 - Type: chflags nohidden /Users/<Username>/Library.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Admin Emeritus

You found it while I was busy typing all that other stuff.

One other thing, on my system, if it is not already renamed, I rename the ALIAS in the applications folder from "Plug-Ins" to "AAX Plug-Ins" which is an alias to this original folder:
AAX (.aaxplugin extension) plug-ins folder:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins

I also create an alias of the this folder (and name it "DPM Plug-ins") in the same Applications/Avid/Pro ToolsPro Tools folder just so I can access it easily.
RTAS, AS and TDM (.dpm extension) plug-ins folder:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

Just make sure that you only rename the Alias, not the Original, or it will break everything.

And then I drag the whole Pro Tools folder from Applications/Avid/Pro Tools to the Finder sidebar, so it is easy to get to when I want to check both plug-in folders.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:56 PM

I cannot find the Plugin Directory for Pro Tools 11 on my IMac OSX.
I have looked in Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins and find nothing.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by almonday View Post
I cannot find the Plugin Directory for Pro Tools 11 on my IMac OSX.
I have looked in Application Support/Avid/Audio/Plug-Ins and find nothing.
Is there an alias for AAX Plug-Ins your applications folder here?
Applications/Avid/Pro Tools