Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-20-2010, 08:23 AM

Angry "Unable to locate digidesign hardware" Mbox (original) ProTools LE 7.4.2 Mac OS X

I have been using an original MBox with ProTools 7.4.2 with no problem on my old PowerBook G4 for months. Without changing anything, all of a sudden the other night, I got the following (apparently very common) error and have been getting it ever since: "Unable to locate Digidesign hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on. Click "OK" when your hardware is ready."

The MBox is plugged in and lit up and shows no signs of issues. But ProTools seems not to be able to find it.

I have read through tons of threads and other sites about this issue and have performed the usual troubleshooting--trashed the prefs, restarted a million times, tried a new USB cable, installed a ProTools upgrade--all to no avail. I would uninstall and re-install my PT, but since I downloaded it in the first place, the Digi site says teh activation code has already been used and won't let me download it again.

I don't think the harness re-seating is the solution for me since I am not using the Digi 002.

This is making me batty. Can anyone help?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 AM

Default Re: "Unable to locate digidesign hardware" Mbox (original) ProTools LE 7.4.2 Mac OS X

You didn't keep the installer you downloaded in the first place?? Why?

Reinstalling Pro Tools can solve many problems... I would try to get a hold of an installer if I were you. I fixed a driver related problem just last night for a friend by reinstalling Pro Tools. It's not very time consuming, and it won't remove any of your plugins.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-20-2010, 09:57 AM

Default Re: "Unable to locate digidesign hardware" Mbox (original) ProTools LE 7.4.2 Mac OS X

Is the mac OS or any other app using the mbox?
Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The mac OS is using the MBox as far as I can tell.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:03 AM

I was wrong about the installer, just did a clean uninstall and reinstalled. unfortunately I am running into the exact same problem. any other suggestions?
thanks.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpd View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. The mac OS is using the MBox as far as I can tell.
He asked this, because if OSX is trying to use the MBox at the same time as Pro Tools, it could cause problems. Try going into System Preferences and deselecting the MBox as your sound output device, and restart Pro Tools.

D

Old 02-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks. I tried that but oddly, the MBox is not even showing up as an option. It appears that the Mac is suddenly just not finding the MBox. I tested both USB ports with other devises and they still work. Any other suggestions? thanks again.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:43 AM

It's entirely possible that your MBox is not functioning correctly...

A good test for this would be to plug it into another computer running Pro Tools and see if it lights up.

When you reinstalled Pro Tools, did you make sure the uninstall was full and clean? Upon uninstalling, there should be an option to clear all devices, preferences, databases, etc. This is most definitely what you want to do.

When you reinstall, make sure you leave the MBox UNPLUGGED until the installer prompts you to plug it in.

I'm sorry if you already performed any of these steps, I'm just trying to give you everything I can think of to fully refresh the drivers.

D

Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Thanks, these are good suggestions. Agreed that it may be the MBox, but it is lighting up when I plug it into this computer, it just seems not to recognize it for some reason. Unfortunately I don't have another compatible computer to test it on.

I am going to attempt another reinstall making sure I perform the steps you suggest.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM

Unfortunately the super clean uninstall/reinstall did not do the trick. It is starting to seem like this is an Mbox problemm rather than a software or computer problem. If anyone has further suggestions, I am all ears. Has anyone had an Mbox konk out like this?