Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 09-03-2018, 04:30 PM

Default buying used HD io and hd nativa Thunderbolt card

hello,

I never purchased Avid hardware before, but im interested in buying HD io 16x16 Analog this year and hd Thunderbolt native card.

I saw many used sold separetly in eBay, just the units, but my questions are:

1) Will i be able to use the units without registering them to my name or the previous owners have to transfer ownerships if they are already registered? what problems would i have or what would i miss if those units are already registered by another persona? will it work and i only lose warranty?
2) what happends if previous owner dosnt want to transfer ownership after i parchase used from him?
3) transfer is free?
4) they are bonded to a pro tools account or i can buy my own pro tools License after when i want?
5) is the Problem only with pro tools software account or with hardware too?

my main doubts are, what are the difference from a new hd io and card, to used hd io and used card.. because price from used is like 50%..

if someone can explain i appreciate it.thanks a lot
Old 09-03-2018, 06:01 PM

Default Re: buying used HD io and hd nativa Thunderbolt card

The only things you NEED to run the hardware is a license(and software) for Pro Tools HD(or Ultimate) software, and a Digilink license(after PT12.6 IIRC). You can also save more money and go with 1 or 2 of the older 192 IO boxes as they still function perfectly well with 2018.7Ultimate Just pay attention to the exact version as the 192 Digital is ONLY digital IO(no analog cards allowed). With "standard" 192's around $500, they are a bargain(the "standard" having 8 analog IO and 8 digital IO).

The thing that needs to be registered is the software, and that is so that you have access to the software and future updates(depending on the plan you buy). In the old days, you could not buy software alone, but these days, you can. Just remember that you need HD or Ultimate to run with the card and IO.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Default Re: buying used HD io and hd nativa Thunderbolt card

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The only things you NEED to run the hardware is a license(and software) for Pro Tools HD(or Ultimate) software, and a Digilink license(after PT12.6 IIRC). You can also save more money and go with 1 or 2 of the older 192 IO boxes as they still function perfectly well with 2018.7Ultimate Just pay attention to the exact version as the 192 Digital is ONLY digital IO(no analog cards allowed). With "standard" 192's around $500, they are a bargain(the "standard" having 8 analog IO and 8 digital IO).

The thing that needs to be registered is the software, and that is so that you have access to the software and future updates(depending on the plan you buy). In the old days, you could not buy software alone, but these days, you can. Just remember that you need HD or Ultimate to run with the card and IO.
so if they have previously used their PT HD accounts with hd io and card, i can use my own PT hd account and digilink License with this used hardware? doesn't matter they were used with other software account? i mean for example if when i register my account it ask me for the serial number etc..
Old 09-03-2018, 08:35 PM

Default buying used HD io and hd nativa Thunderbolt card

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduy View Post
so if they have previously used their PT HD accounts with hd io and card, i can use my own PT hd account and digilink License with this used hardware? doesn't matter they were used with other software account? i mean for example if when i register my account it ask me for the serial number etc..

If you have a current HD license and digilink license, I can’t see why not. Look up Avids process for equipment transfers. I have sold hardware this way, it is fairly straight forward. You can also contact support through your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro