Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM

Default Can't create new document because of assertion error 1351...

I was getting insertion issues also and I reset my playback engine when the splash screen started – and that cured my ills
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Can't create new document because of assertion error 1351...

This thread solved my same issue. Thank you guys..(n and launch pro-tools)
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM

I haven't been able to use ProTools for a month now.

I have full uninstalled, reinstalled 2x, trashed prefs and everything else.

When I try the "N" thing I pick the Mbox and get

regardless if I do or dont try to change that setting I get

If I got to Midi Set up it shows

Sound preferences show Mbox and show audio coming in. The box itself registers audio. I can use the box with Audacity without issue.

I am totally flummoxed. I've never had a piece of software cause me so much constant grief.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Ah what OS X version?, Mbox Mini driver version? See the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link of this page for an idea of the type of info that is useful/really needed here.

The assert error seems to be normally fixed if you delete the databases and preferences. Some people don't get these deletions exactly right, especially on Lion and Mountain Lion (over confusion about finding the User Library folder), so it helps if you verify exactly what you are doing and are following each step in the instructions and they all work OK. Are you exactly following all the instructions for your OS X version at http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/T...oting/en367983. Make sure you empty trash and reboot the Mac after deleting these items.

When you uninstalled Pro Tools did you select the "clean" option?

What happens if you select the Built-in Output as the playback engine? Then try creating a new empty session? (not from a template).

You can try creating a new Administrator account in OS X and repeating the test of creating a new session there.

[Likely not the issue... but..] What driver version is installed? You should also try downloading and installing the latest driver. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/download/en374271

Darryl
Old 03-28-2013, 05:30 PM

Running the latest OS X. (10.8.3)

Protools 9 upgraded to 10.3.4

Mbox mini 3

Full Clean installs 2x

Deleted prefs correctly.

I can't create any sessions because anything I try is met with the 1351 error.

EDIT: Made new admin account but Pro Tools is not available to it. I'll have to clean install again to see if thats the issue. I'm doubting it. I'm guessing I'm going to have to reinstall the OS which is super annoying.

Last edited by King Lou; 03-28-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lou View Post
Running the latest OS X. (10.8.3)

Protools 9 upgraded to 10.3.4

Mbox mini 3

Full Clean installs 2x

Deleted prefs correctly.

I can't create any sessions because anything I try is met with the 1351 error.
You deleted prefs and databases, *exactly* following the troubleshooting instructions at http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...nd_Preferences And you are doing the option key trick and deleting all the file mentioned.

Sorry, yes I'm looking for more than just "I deleted prefs. correctly". Again people are think they are doing that and yet not following the correct instructions.

What happened when you tried launching Pro Tools from a new OS X Administrator account? (try to be precise, when you say "can't do anything" we don't know what _exactly_ what you have tried). Make sure you are creating a blank session not one from a template.

What happens when you switch the playback engine to the built-in output? Do you get sample rate errors? But then you can't create a session at all and get this assert failure?

Did you try reinstalling the Mbox device driver?

Sorry to be so pedantic, but its often the case that these conversations end up being ships crossing in the dark unless we know exactly what you are doing.

Darryl
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lou View Post
EDIT: Made new admin account but Pro Tools is not available to it. I'll have to clean install again to see if thats the issue. I'm doubting it. I'm guessing I'm going to have to reinstall the OS which is super annoying.
I just saw your edit. What do you mean "Pro Tools is not available to it". You should be able to browse to /Applications/Avid and double click on "Pro Tools.app". That app should be "available" to any administrator. You should not be doign another isntall - in fact best not to, and focus on what is wrong here.

If something is not working as you expect explain exactly what you are doing and exactly what is happening.

Darryl
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I just saw your edit. What do you mean "Pro Tools is not available to it". You should be able to browse to /Applications/Avid and double click on "Pro Tools.app". That app should be "available" to any administrator. You should not be doign another isntall - in fact best not to, and focus on what is wrong here.
Darryl
Please excuse me I was incorrect when I thought protools was not visible to the account in question. Some applications ask if you want to install the app as viewable by all users on a machine and I thought I had run into that but I was in fact looking in the wrong place. It was my error 100%.

However when I did launch the application in the newly created admin account I got the same 1351 error. So I'm back to square one. Another week of recording in Audacity.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:16 PM

I really am not sure what is going on here

This is an error that has popped up here before, I think deleting prefs etc. sometime seemed to fix it, or more often doing a full reinstall.

e.g. see this KB article http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...081&popup=true

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Pro Tools 9 upgraded to..." I hope you did clean uninstalls for that upgrade and did not just install over Pro Tools 9. Either way it looks like you have at least since tried to do clean uninstalls of Pro Tools 10.

I really want to make sure you disconnect the interface from the Mac. Download a clean copy of the 10.3.4 installer, run the "Pro Tools Uninstaller" utility under /Applications/Avid/Pro Tools Utilities... and select the "clean" option. Reboot the mac. Run the installer on the downloaded disk image. Follow the install documentation to install the driver for your interface, reconnect the interface, etc.

If that still does not work your option then is to do a full clean OS X reinstall... See http://support.apple.com/kb/ph11273

If this is affecting your business/impacting your work I'd also consider running it by Avid Support, it should be worth the ASC cost to call them.

Darryl
Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 AM

Jumping on this because i am having the same problem. I'm getting a combo of both the assertion message 1351 on PT startup & 'this device does not support 44.1 khz' when i try to open a session..(which we all know it does.)
I Just recently did a clean install of Mountain Lion & PT10, reinstalled the most recent drivers for the mbox mini 2 etc, this is the 1st time i have tried to use it.

I have tried:
-deleting prefs & databases
-holding down N on startup & choosing mbox
-choosing setup / hardware / audio midi setup & choosing both avid mbox mini & pro tools aggregate i/o ( i still dont understand what, if any, difference there is between those 2 options..)

IS there anything else i can do before i try uninstall / reinstall pt10?
perhaps i should update to the latest version of PT 10.3.3 ?

Macbook pro 13 / 2.53ghz
OS 10.8.3
mbox mini 2
Pro Tools 10.3.28
RAM 4gig
glyph firewire 800 external drive