Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 AM

Default removing demo assets from ilok?

1st time i've encountered this one, got an MC2000 to demo and then decided to buy it. when i checked my ilok there were all sorts of other plug demos. is there any way to get rid of these? or do they stay there for ever?

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 09-13-2006, 12:47 PM

Default Re: removing demo assets from ilok?

they are there forever, otherwise you could just relicense the demos forever. I have an old ilok I use just for demos. Not that it affects anything.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:57 PM

Quote:
they are there forever, otherwise you could just relicense the demos forever. I have an old ilok I use just for demos. Not that it affects anything.
i figured that was the case... i agree, it doesn't affect anything, but we all work all day managing files and keepin them organized and here is a bunch of files we have no control over. oh well, no big deal. i could just move them to a backup ilok to keep the main one neet and tidy

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2
Old 09-24-2006, 08:33 PM

remember you have a limited number of writes to an ilok, i believe its 99 but not positive on that number, but each authorization you remove is counted as a write...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
remember you have a limited number of writes to an ilok, i believe its 99 but not positive on that number, but each authorization you remove is counted as a write...
wow sorry this one is new to me... what does that mean exactly? iloks have limited life based on how many licenses you store on it? so if i had 10 plugs, transferred them to another ilok, bought 1 plug, i still would only be able to have 88 more assets on that ilok? i can't see ever hitting that number, but just curious about this one in general. i never thought the total number of assets would ever be an issue on an ilok.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It's certainly not that number. Yes it is true that iLok does not have infinite life span, but it will last longer than about hundred operations. Probably a thousand would be more accurate guess, and even that can be a lowly number.

Think of a cell phone SIM card for example; how many times can you store and replace numbers into your cell? It's similar tech in iLok key. Definetely doesn't last forever, but should be stronger than a hundred i/o operations.

I'm more concerned about Waves' policy of not letting the end user to transfer licenses between iLoks. My Waves key is getting old and I will just have to wait until it breaks, and then report it to Waves. Sucks, but what can I do :/