Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2000, 06:00 AM

Default 24/96 and ADAT bridge(20 to 24) upgrade? ?

I am now forced by circumstances to upgrade to PT MIX+. I have been putting this off waiting for PT to release 2 upgrades. I have talked to PT numerous times about these upgrade steps. The answers I get are not satisfactory. First The issue with the 'not 24bit ADAT BRIDGE(20 bit)'. They tell me that this is because of the ADAT chip used and licensing issues with ALESES. I will not say what I think of those answers(not printable on this site). I will say that the 001 comes with 24bit lightpipe. that every other manufactured lightpipe device I can find is 24bit. That 24bit lightpipe is what is used in digital mixing boards. That DIGIDESIGN would probably not sell as many overpriced 888/24's if they made this available. This seems short sighted on their part.
24/96 24/96????? What don't they get?
If I hear 'If it becomes the standard then Digi will follow suit(again)'! Since when has Digi been a follower?
This is where the industry is heading. This is where all of the other manufactures have placed their current & future products.

I have asked for Price/Upgrade PROTECTION for these two items. They will not respond.

I think you will see this come out this fall(I am sure of it).
Pro Tools is supposed to be the cutting edge leader in DAW. However they seem to be avoiding(24/96 & 24 bit light pipe)

[This message has been edited by microphone (edited May 28, 2000).]
Old 05-26-2000, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 24/96 and ADAT bridge(20 to 24) upgrade? ?

Im with you on this one Mic !!

------------------
-KIMJAZ-
ps: sorry for my english !!
Old 05-30-2000, 04:45 AM

This Is slack.
I buy an ADAT interface that costs more than the whole 001 system yet I can't do 24 bit!
You advertise your DAW as the 24bit solution with 1 interface capable of supporting it!
I can wait for 96K, but I've already paid for 24bit. How about giving the people who pay you over 5 times as much as the 001 users a bit of respect.

Old 06-04-2000, 03:24 PM

After I recently bought two (yes, two) ADAT Bridge units. I just realized that they will not pass 24 bits. I think the proper web explicative is " #$)&$^@*&(!)". ... etc.

I echo the earlier comments. Basically, this box is good for only one thing...transferring to and from ADAT. Even though the "light pipe" has emerged as the predominate multi track digital audio I/O protocol ...24 bits & all... (Praise God for this one standard in an area where standards are few and far between).

I won't harp any longer. However, I want to mention that I have herd talk of the ADAT bridge being upgradeable to 24 bit capacity. I hear it is about $300 to do the upgrade (switch the chip) , which is sort of like "twisting the knife" buried deep in digi users like me who purchased the things assuming they would pass 24 bits ... after all, EVERY OTHER ADAT I/O UNIT (even cheap sound card types) DO!!!

Questions to digi:
IS there an actual update? If so, how much? Can I get a break if I go ahead and send my just purchased second unit back WITH THE REGISTRATION CARD?

-Vaughn

_ ______________________ _
Old 06-04-2000, 08:33 PM

DIGI knows it is in trouble in this area (as you can see by the lack of any digi response in this thread). I have a fortune invested in MIX plus plus plus. We all know that if they gave us 24 bit light pipe they would sell fewer 888/24. The 888/24 is a trap also. Again we all know that there will NOT be an 96k upgrade.
The last time I called DIGI about an ADAT upgrade they said NO UPGRADE IS POSSIBLE. The truth of that statement cannot be tested yet. If any one has info on this please post it.
LETS KEEP THIS THREAD GOING. DIGI NEEDS TO FEEL THE HEAT ON THIS SUBJECT.
Old 06-07-2000, 10:14 PM

One ADAT-Bridge for sale...Cheap!!!
I'm done @#$%ing around with Digi on this one. Ah, one Apogee AD-8000 please. Add a few AMBUS cards and I'll pass what ever bit depth I want, any way I want, to what ever I want. Even 24-bit lightpipe to Protools. Don't hold your breath for 96k, the mix+ is just enough power to do real a mix. Take it to 96k and cut all your power and speed in half. 48 to 96 is an improvement, the more samples the better, but in this market who can wait. I want it to sound good now not next summer. It's all obsolete before you can say obsolete - Checkout Sony DSD (Digital Streaming Data) at 2.88 Mega kHz per second, it makes 48/96 both look silly.
P.S. Tascam DA-78 (2400.00 plus tax w/ a tape transport) 24-bit coverters sounded better than an 888's to me. Though it sounded like $%#@ with 4-bits chop off through my ADAT-bridge. Digi your so cool...#$%^*&s!!!

I'm Out!!!!