Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 PM

Default Editing MIDI volume causes PT crash

Hello,

Was curious if anyone else has run into this problem? I emailed Avid tech support, and will post their response here. They suggested a ton of things to check - not sure if I have the time to do all of that. Maybe someone else has already stumbled upon a solution?

Me to Avid:
Quote:
With the MIDI editor window open, editing MIDI volume on 2 tracks at once while playing causes total system crash. Repeatable. Was using the pencil and bracket tool. Crash also happens while stopped - not only while playing. Using hand tool.
I also included a system config, error report, and console log report for them - not going to post that here. By "total system crash" I mean that first PT quit giving me the error message screen, then trying to re-launch PT caused a total system hang. Had to restart by holding the power button on the front of the tower.

Avid to Me:
Quote:
Hi,

Can you reproduce this in all sessions or just some? If you make a new session do you run into the same issue in a new test session? What happens if you temporarily remove the Kensington mouse and revert to the stock Apple mouse? Let us know if this happens with VIs as well as external MIDI devices. You may also want to try making sure that you have the latest driver for the MIDI Sport or testing with out it attached to see if it is involved with this issue.

Login Items

Certain items that always start up when you log in to your computer can conflict with Pro Tools operations. The way to check what is starting up every time you log in is:

-Open System Prefs>Accounts
-Select your account from the list on the left hand side of the window
-Click on the "Login Items" tab on the right hand side of the window
-Go through the list and select each item and click the "-" (minus) button below the list to remove the item in question.

You may also want to limit start up items.

StartupItems

Certain items that always start up when turn on your computer can conflict with Pro Tools operations. The way to check what is starting up every time you start your computer is to navigate to:

MacHD>Library>StartupItems

Any Digidesign Files/Folders located in this folder should be okay for use with Pro Tools. Common files/folders to have are:

Digidesign Loader
Digidesign Mbox 2
PACE Support

Any other files/folders should be backed up and removed for optimal Pro Tools operation.

If none of these things resolves the issue let us know and we can try to recreate the behavior. If you have a simple session that just has a couple of Tracks and Xpand please attach it to your case and we can use it to try to recreate the issue.

Best regards,
Avid/Digidesign Technical Support
I'll post any findings here that I come up with over time...
Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Editing MIDI volume causes PT crash

posting to myself...

They think it might be my Kensington trackball...testing.