Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2019, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
It's April 25th. When does the Pro Tools 2020! thread begin?
July of 2022!

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 04-25-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanonbass View Post
I am fine with being charged money if the product I am receiving is worth the cost. Its just not.

We are 4 months into the year and still no new version of protools. And what features are we getting for 400 a year? I am seriously wanting my money back at this point. They just don't have their crap together it seems. I might move to a totally different system soon. Cubase and studio one are looking more and more like something I will consider soon.

I could have kept my money and canceled the subscription and be in the exact same place I am now. On the same version. 2018.12.

I upgraded to PT 11 when it came out, since it was a HUGE game changer with 64bit using more than just 3.4GB of ram and clip gain. I did not renew since 2012 and 2018 didn't have that big of an impact of features worth $400 renewal or the $1,000 re-instatement. As long as the software is getting work done daily, I am all set (mind you, a LOT (well millions of tv shows, commercials, trailers, promos, albums, films, etc were done on PT5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 SUCCEFULLY).
But when PT 2019 announced an extra 128 tracks, yes that is a HUGE GAME CHANGER. since to get more if you're on HDN, you'd have to get 2 HDX cards at $6,400 or if you're on HDX 1, another card for $3,200.

So after NAMM this year, I felt the $1,000 for the re-instatement was well worth it, plus of course I'd get everything in 2012 and 2018, and any other feature coming out in 2019. So from hear this "SOON" I bought the latest plan and just waiting, and waiting.

I learned my lesson and hope others will too
DO NOT UPGRADE until its officially announced and out (the ONLY exception to this rule is if it's something in a new version and you're on an old ver. and you NEED it for your workflow, not but because it's nice to have)

If I had waiting and not bought the $1k plan and lets say they come out with 2019 in May 20th for example and then jumped in on it. Then what that really boils down to businesswise for the consumer is that I would have any and all updates up until May 2020. Always look ahead and don't jump the gun like I did. Don't get me wrong, the features I have in 2018.12 from my last PT 11.3.2 are useful and nice. They weren't really necessary for my work flow and were not a I NEED this to make this huge 5.1 session work. Having 384 tracks IS a huge deal for massive 5.1 sessions. I am always at the brink of 256 and trying to play tetris or comping/bouncing down tracks. Just 300 tracks would be great, but a full 384.. Yeah. but paying early for something to just wait and wait...no
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 04-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I upgraded to PT 11 when it came out, since it was a HUGE game changer with 64bit using more than just 3.4GB of ram and clip gain. I did not renew since 2012 and 2018 didn't have that big of an impact of features worth $400 renewal or the $1,000 re-instatement. As long as the software is getting work done daily, I am all set (mind you, a LOT (well millions of tv shows, commercials, trailers, promos, albums, films, etc were done on PT5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 SUCCEFULLY).
But when PT 2019 announced an extra 128 tracks, yes that is a HUGE GAME CHANGER. since to get more if you're on HDN, you'd have to get 2 HDX cards at $6,400 or if you're on HDX 1, another card for $3,200.

So after NAMM this year, I felt the $1,000 for the re-instatement was well worth it, plus of course I'd get everything in 2012 and 2018, and any other feature coming out in 2019. So from hear this "SOON" I bought the latest plan and just waiting, and waiting.

I learned my lesson and hope others will too
DO NOT UPGRADE until its officially announced and out (the ONLY exception to this rule is if it's something in a new version and you're on an old ver. and you NEED it for your workflow, not but because it's nice to have)

If I had waiting and not bought the $1k plan and lets say they come out with 2019 in May 20th for example and then jumped in on it. Then what that really boils down to businesswise for the consumer is that I would have any and all updates up until May 2020. Always look ahead and don't jump the gun like I did. Don't get me wrong, the features I have in 2018.12 from my last PT 11.3.2 are useful and nice. They weren't really necessary for my work flow and were not a I NEED this to make this huge 5.1 session work. Having 384 tracks IS a huge deal for massive 5.1 sessions. I am always at the brink of 256 and trying to play tetris or comping/bouncing down tracks. Just 300 tracks would be great, but a full 384.. Yeah. but paying early for something to just wait and wait...no

I’m seriously thinking of letting my plan lapse. Mine lapses coming June 29th. So if they feel like doing some work again at their software development department (I don’t know if they have one, at least avid link alone must have been some Chinese code at the softwarediscounter.com) perhaps I’m lucky with a 2019.5 update within my plans timeframe.

And thereafter I’ll wait and see if I perhaps find it useful to pay them $1000 again between now and 5 years.

Indeed, the current version does what it does and is capable enough of making good money with.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
I’m seriously thinking of letting my plan lapse. Mine lapses coming June 29th. So if they feel like doing some work again at their software development department (I don’t know if they have one, at least avid link alone must have been some Chinese code at the softwarediscounter.com) perhaps I’m lucky with a 2019.5 update within my plans timeframe.

And thereafter I’ll wait and see if I perhaps find it useful to pay them $1000 again between now and 5 years.

Indeed, the current version does what it does and is capable enough of making good money with.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Keep in mind, if you do let it lapse, to make business sense, you'd have to wait 3 years and buy it on a black friday sale (usually %20 off) to make it worth while, which would be in in 2022. Unless if something comes up before then that is a MUST have for your workflow. That's what I did. Last time I bought was in 2016.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 04-25-2019, 03:12 PM

I let my plan lapse a few days ago. It's just not worth it and the last few versions have been the most stable for me since 8. Long standing bugs aren't getting fixed, the support hasn't been helpful, and the features that appear to be coming just don't make enough difference for me to keep shelling out $400 a year. I make my living with Pro Tools but my clients don't care what version I'm using as long as compatibility isn't an issue. I'll reassess in three years.

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Avid for a while and I have a feeling that the adversarial climate they've created with many of their customers won't serve them well in the future. We'll see. I sincerely hope it's worth if for the folks that are hanging with them.
Windows 10 Pro
HD Native PCIe
Lynx Aurora with LT-HD
Apogee
Mytek
Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Really, that's the part in my post you felt the need to comment on? Good stuff.
Okay, I never said being on the bleeding edge of tech is advisable. I don't know where you're coming from or why you feel the need to patronize.
I have three different locations I do most of my work. Each has at least two running workstations (mostly Hackintoshes safe for one iMac Pro) as well as a 100% by Avid certified computer (cheesegrater MacPros) running a 100% by Avid supported OS (High Sierra) - as a backup should things go south with the more modern rigs.
So don't worry about me, and the stability and service I present to my clients, I'm doing fine, thank you.

However, the backups are backups, collecting dust because I haven't needed them in a while. And my Hackintoshes as well as my iMac Pro are running Mojave, and as many others PT is running fine for me in this config (after a few bigger issues with the iMac Pro and Avid support being involved for a while.)
So what is your point? Was that another dumb attempt at defending Avid? They don't need to provide Mojave support, since you shouldn't work with recent tech anyways? Are you guys still serious?
Meads, if I wanted to patronize, I would not have been this light, trust me. I'm just stating a matter of fact for people who might not be as verse as you with the OS and would inevitably run into problems NO MATTER THE COMPANY's software you are using, be it Avid's, steinberg, Presonus who ever. If you even bothered to read my post properly you would have noticed that I am in agreement with pretty much every one here about the pricing policy.

Wave-T.com
Old 04-25-2019, 05:52 PM

Default Pro Tools 2019 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
We may all be vexed by the Pricing policy Avid and other companies have embraced, the sole responsibility of compatibility and stability remains on you

1) name one other software company that handles a) a subscription plan with reinstatement penalty and b) isn’t Mojave compatible with their software when I write this

2) what’s the relation between a companies software subscription policy and the responsibility of a customer to run a compatible system. And since the answer is ‘no relation’ , why would you mention that within one sentence.

3) the answer to 1) is ‘no other company’ and a sentence at 2) that would have made sense is: if it’s the customers responsibility to pay in time for their subscription plan, it’s the companies responsibility to deliver adequately

We’re not interested in which 1989 Sound Tools version runs stable on a Mac II. We’re concerned about what we (don’t) get for our subscription plan we pay today.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
1) name one other software company that handles a) a subscription plan with reinstatement penalty and b) isn’t Mojave compatible with their software when I write this

2) what’s the relation between a companies software subscription policy and the responsibility of a customer to run a compatible system. And since the answer is ‘no relation’ , why would you mention that within one sentence.

3) the answer to 1) is ‘no other company’ and a sentence at 2) that would have made sense is: if it’s the customers responsibility to pay in time for their subscription plan, it’s the companies responsibility to deliver adequately

We’re not interested in which 1989 Sound Tools version runs stable on a Mac II. We’re concerned about what we (don’t) get for our subscription plan we pay today.
You missed a point.

4) What other company sells Pro Tools?

It's all just hot air in the end. Comparisons with other software companies don't mean anything. They don't sell Pro Tools. Avid does. If you are relying on what other software companies are doing to guide your spending and compatibility with Avid, then I would expect to see you repeating exactly the same basic comments in the Pro Tools 2020 thread next year.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.

Last edited by LDS; 04-25-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:27 PM

So i just wasted about an hour reading most of the comments on this thread..I’ve pretty much come up with a few areas we can all agree on.
1. Avid is the audio software version of Apple. They do a bunch of things we never asked for, while ignoring the things we ask for all the time, then pretend they’re the first or best to do everything that everybody else is pretty much better at and have been for a decade.
2. Older pro tools systems work better and more reliably than the currently evolving versions. Always have and always will as much as we hate to admit it.
3. As much as we hate the issues we all have from time to time with the software..we aren’t going anywhere honestly. As much as we complain because we want better product, we just aren’t going anywhere because there’s nothing that does as much as good. We honestly don’t even need to upgrade as often anyway. I ran pro tools 9 up until just 2 months ago. And I’ll probably be running PT 12/2018 for another 7-8 years or as long as my MacBook and Mac Pro 2010 can hold together. And in all honesty if i can find an old HD9/10 cards and software license for sale with a transfer available I’d buy that just to go from vanilla to HD in my personally owned studio.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iigunzent View Post
So i just wasted about an hour reading most of the comments on this thread..I’ve pretty much come up with a few areas we can all agree on.

1. Avid is the audio software version of Apple. They do a bunch of things we never asked for, while ignoring the things we ask for all the time, then pretend they’re the first or best to do everything that everybody else is pretty much better at and have been for a decade.

2. Older pro tools systems work better and more reliably than the currently evolving versions. Always have and always will as much as we hate to admit it.

3. As much as we hate the issues we all have from time to time with the software..we aren’t going anywhere honestly. As much as we complain because we want better product, we just aren’t going anywhere because there’s nothing that does as much as good. We honestly don’t even need to upgrade as often anyway. I ran pro tools 9 up until just 2 months ago. And I’ll probably be running PT 12/2018 for another 7-8 years or as long as my MacBook and Mac Pro 2010 can hold together. And in all honesty if i can find an old HD9/10 cards and software license for sale with a transfer available I’d buy that just to go from vanilla to HD in my personally owned studio.

Yep, spot on.

I’ve got HD3 pcix with HD7/8 on ilok for transfer

Hit me up in the PM and let’s make a deal
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.