Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 crashes on Save

Ive been dealing with AIR for months on this.

probably 30 emails with 2 different support people.

Please contact them via phone support and TELL THEM.

with me they say they haven't heard of this. (Even though I spoke to the exact same tech guy 6 weeks ago about the exact same problem)

and these have been several threads of folks on the community they run themselves..

Now what I have found

If I use PT aggregate audio driver the system is MUCH more able to save while playing with Gui open, but not flawless, it just takes more to freeze.

Seems that for SOME reason when PT gets a AAE error -9173 it then freezes. can't just release the error or clear it and move on.

Also is worse with Airport ON.

Also pretty much seems related to Air Instruments v2 in some way, Def Vacuum Pro, Velvet seems so also... Maybe others...

They have to be in the session itself, and worse if GUI open.

other than that I have no Cure yet and Neither company seems to acknowledge its an issue yet, so therefor Neither one will ever get to fixing it either..

So the more set ups and config we can report to both parties will either provide them with the link that causes it or bring it back to the software itself and hopefully spark a code change to fix it... I just ca't really narrow down exactly whats the problem.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM

Been dealing with this for months as well. Latest version of PT11 with Mavericks. Only happens during playback and only with Vacuum Pro. Havent tested with other AIR plugs. Workaround obviously is to stop transport, then save. Has been discussed in previous thread http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=346597
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM

Did you try with the aggregate driver?

It doesn't really completely solve the problem but it does raise the threshold at which the error occurs.. in terms of processing before throwing the AAE error.

System
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM

Guys...

Do not save while you're playing. That is just terminally stupid, and I shouldn't have to tell you why.

If you are going to close Pro Tools, hit Save, then watch the disk activity light and wait 'til it goes out before trying to close Pro Tools. Again, I shouldn't have to tell you why.

That should take care of many of you right there...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-30-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Guys...

Do not save while you're playing. That is just terminally stupid, and I shouldn't have to tell you why.

If you are going to close Pro Tools, hit Save, then watch the disk activity light and wait 'til it goes out before trying to close Pro Tools. Again, I shouldn't have to tell you why.

That should take care of many of you right there...
Don't know about your first statement - I save while playing every day and have yet to have PT problems. Doesn't matter the size of session or makeup of a session. If I make changes while playing I hit cmd-S, PT saves and keeps on playing.

QAPLA!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't know about your first statement - I save while playing every day and have yet to have PT problems. Doesn't matter the size of session or makeup of a session. If I make changes while playing I hit cmd-S, PT saves and keeps on playing.
Some people are just naturally lucky...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 AM

Not necessarily while playing, though. If it's in the middle of rendering an AudioSuite plugin, or rendering a fade, and does an auto save, it will do the same thing. Access Violation, "could not save while rendering track" (at least I THINK that's what it was, I don't see it because of my workaround.) And the session is basically corrupt after that and you start over. MY solution is to uncheck session file backups, and then be real careful to CTRL-S ONLY WHEN IT ISN'T DOING ANYTHING ELSE!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:05 AM

SO after hour on the phone, hours testing and over 40 emails to both Air Instruments and Avid Heres a few more things about this save error..

Basically, there are things I mentioned above which help raise the threshold for when this error will occur.

The problem is NOT saving while playing, it will however also RAISE the threshold where this error starts.

The problem here is that with these instruments (definitely Vacuum Pro, Velvet and possibly Structure and strike, Hybrid seems likely also) Once the threshold fro the error is reached, and a save occurs, Pro Tools tosses up a AAE error -9173. Then the error CAN NOT just be clicked out of.

Thats the problem (or at least a part of the problem)

The other part of the problem is that the saving in some way is what sparks an otherwise low CPU usage session to spike.

Solving now has posed a couple problems, mainly that Air music can't seem to reproduce it. And Avid has tried to get a Air V2 license but as of yesterday had not ben given one to test..

So I seem to be the Tster here wit both companies.

Avid is responsive, and has suggested several things to try that as I mentioned RAISE the threshold of when this error appears (and it does aprear on Mbox 3 Pro, NI Audio 10, Internal Core audio) But when using any of those audio options within PT Aggregate audio the threshold is raised.

Air Music is responsive, not as much as Avid, Can't seem to reproduce the problem and really has no idea whats happening and apart from Turning Off Airport (suggesting the normal system config stuff) have not much else to say.

Im told everything I've submitted (emails, screen shots, system config, TONS of notes) is being passed along but as Ive said they can't reproduce it.

If you are having this Problem PLEASE let them know... as this point I think they just see me as a PAIN in the butt. SO be one too and lets get tho fixed HOWEVER we can...

System
Old 04-30-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Not necessarily while playing, though. If it's in the middle of rendering an AudioSuite plugin, or rendering a fade, and does an auto save, it will do the same thing. Access Violation, "could not save while rendering track" (at least I THINK that's what it was, I don't see it because of my workaround.) And the session is basically corrupt after that and you start over. MY solution is to uncheck session file backups, and then be real careful to CTRL-S ONLY WHEN IT ISN'T DOING ANYTHING ELSE!
I was told at one time by one of the learned ones here when I had a question about autosave interfering with a session that it (autosave) wasn't supposed to kick in while a process was underway. Guess that's not quite true.

QAPLA!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:36 PM

Back in the day, when the first 3-1/2" floppy disks came out, there was a red light on the drive that came on when the drive was reading or writing, and was supposed to go out after the drive activity finished.

But it didn't always work out that way...

On one brand of computer that was used in my office, the drive activity light would go out a couple of seconds before the drive actually finished reading/writing. If it was writing and you hit the "eject" button as soon as the light went out...ya'll want some ham with that scrambled disk?

Which is why, even today, I watch the disk activity light, and even after it goes out I listen until the drive has stopped spinning before doing anything that could result in data loss...

Bill in Pittsburgh