Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Idea for new product: Wireless iLok

Wow. There is a lot of responses on this topic. Some excellent dialog here. I agree that it my not be the best product for everyone and it may just be an optional method for software authentication. I also agree that wifi or bluetooth may increase the complexity and difficulty to configure the device. Nevertheless, I liken it to some luxury cars that allow you to unlock the doors or start the engine by touch simply because you have the wireless key in your pocket. It is convenient. There was a good point about it needing power when kept in the drawer. I'd imagine it will need to be plugged in but also be recharged for when it needs to be carried with you. It is not the solution for everyone and the smaller USB iLok is also a good idea. Make them available at different price points for what people want. Keep the suggestions coming (good or bad).

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 11-12-2010, 10:12 AM

If security is the issue and you have a actual workstation you might be able to use something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-028-_-Product

Not as sexy as some bluetooth dongle but its probably a lot less problems.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Great Idea..
I'd definitely get it..
Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM

What they need to do is move away from local client-based license storage to local server-based. Basically, do it the way Soundminer does it. Open Pro Tools, PT checks with server to retrieve license, and away you go.

This would allow easy upgrading and managing of multiple licenses for plug-ins. If you have 4 rooms like we do here, and 3 licenses of Waves' L1 for example, then you can only open the L1 in 3 rooms at a time. Need one more license of something? Just buy it, add it to the server, and your working again in no time.

'Course iLok won't like this, since it cuts them out of the picture...my heart bleeds.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM

there tying to do that with Media Composer and failing splendidly

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 PM

The problem with all of these networking solutions is that a lot of us like to keep our main systems off of networks. Just another stability issue to worry about, and risk of infection, intrusion, etc...

I don't see what the big deal is about having a little USB key plugged in. The best thing I can see iLok doing is making it smaller with more room for auths, and they seem to have done that with the new one.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I think the next version of PT should be without any of these obsolete iLok keys. And besides it is my belief that no court can uphold the idea that I have to pay again for a license key, if I still have the software that I bought. In case I loose the key.
OK, imagine you buy a house. Now imagine you lose your key. You have to pay a locksmith to come out and pick the lock for you. Then he sells you not only a new key, but also a new lock. Outrage!

On the whole, I much prefer dongle activation to software activation, since software activations have a tendancy to break if you upgrade your computer or replace a failed motherboard (or graphics card sometimes), or adjust your network adapter binding order. Dongles just work. Wireless dongles would be less prone to breakage, but easier to lose (and you wouldn't even know you'd dropped it until you moved out of range).
Old 11-12-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remis View Post
My question with a setup like this however is how would this work in relation to errors that Pro Tools can spit out due to having a wireless adapter enabled whilst using Pro Tools? Everywhere else I've read on the DUC everyone's advice is "Disable wireless whilst using PT"...
I used this method for a good year + and the only errors I came across were the ones I outlined, once I figured them out I never had a problem. We do major label music work at my facility and the only reason I stopped using this method is because I moved one of my rigs to another location. You can have your local network not connected to the internet and secured if you are worried about hackers although I had my system connected to the internet and never had an issue. The great plus with this system was the ability to use all plugins on all systems without having duplicate auths. What I would do is have engineers make a template with plugins they use most often and after they booted up they could disconnect and free up the dongles for the other room and if they needed they could use the request button. as far as PT messing up because there was too much going on in the system I would have the belkin network software going with Genelec GLM and often a rewire slave with minimal hiccups .
Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
What they should do is a tiny ilok like the size of some of the newer bluetooth dongles
+1

The new ilok is still a joke IMO, THIS is the size it should be.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Mabye something with biometrics?? My lappy has a fingerprint scanner on it for security and surely something could be worked out like that.. They could call it iFinger..

With the home studio robberies that were going on for a while this could get rather nasty. Not only would they steal your equipment but now they would also chop your finger off. Ouch!