Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-26-2006, 12:52 PM

Default New Product idea for DigiDesign. What do you think

I'd be very interested and quite willing to spend money on a USB device that allows me to work in ProTools without using an MBox or Digi hardware. I imagine a small ILok sized USB apparatus with a simple headphone/line-out jack on it. It would essentially be an "MBox emulator" allowing ProTools to open. The unit would have no inputs.

I use ProTools on my Laptop quite frequently and in various locations including planes, cars, coffee houses, in bed at night, and in clients' living rooms. I find setting up the MBox to be somewhat of a hassle - especially when space is limited (car, plane) and when I want to present a "clean" looking setup. I find it uncomfortable to balance the Mbox and computer on my lap and I dislike the excess USB cabling.

For editing, mixing, and working with MIDI, I really have no need for inputs. The Mbox is simply there to access ProTools and give an output signal. I have always assumed that the majority of the bulk of the MBox was due to the mic pre's and the ADDA converters. That bulk could be eliminated on this proposed unit. The unit would only need something to trigger ProTools to open (the hardware emulator) and the line-out. I can even control the line-out volume on my listening device (headphones) or within ProTools (Master fader) so I can live without a volume knob. To make it even smaller, use a 1/8 stereo headphone jack!

The actual amount of time I spend truly "recording" with a line input relative to the total amount of time I spend programming MIDI, mixing, splicing, looping, editing, and mastering is shocking. I don't really need the Mbox for the vast majority of my work. And now that Digi is getting even more saavy with Instrument tracks and rewire, users can get by with even less reliance on line-input for audio signal.

So how about it? Is there any chance of getting such a device? Keep it simple. Keep it small. Charge me a lot for it. I'll buy it. $99? $149? I might even pay $199. An Ilok sized hardware emulator with a line-out. Nothing else. Let me work in ProTools in a truly mobile fashion. I'll swear my allegiance forever!
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: New Product idea for DigiDesign. What do you think

many people have had this idea for a few years.

anyway this is the closest you can get, and it works great

M-Audio Transit 80$
Pro Tools M-Powered 250$

When I got this there was a rebate so if you bought Pro Tools M-Powered you get a free Transit and I use it all the time and it works great.

It costs more than what you were looking for only because you have to buy PTMP
Old 06-26-2006, 03:10 PM

Yes the Transit is indeed similar to what I was hoping for... but bag the input line, make it smaller, and make it work with regular ProTools. Ugh - to think I would need to buy ProTools M-powered after I've already bought my Mbox Facory! I wonder if they could "unlock" the Transit to work with regular ProTools. Hmmmm....

I'm telling you, they could make some serious money. If the Transit is $80 then the similar unit for ProTools should cost at least double! They could also market it as a "spring-board" option for engineers who use other DAWs to start to mix their files in PT. It is supposedly the industry standard. Of course they could also offer a "factory" bundle with PT and some plug-ins for $399.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 06-27-2006, 06:40 PM

bumpity bump bump bump. Oh heavenly bumpity bump. what's her name? Why it's Bump Of course!!
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0