Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Probably a stupid question but... Midi plays back track fast in parts...

Hey all, I'm just getting into this midi stuff and fairly new to PT so forgive my ignorance. Basically myself and a couple guys recorded "live" midi drums via a roland td-7 to trigger ezdrummer and 2 guitar tracks at the same time. The drums were out of time a bit so I quantized them. My first problem is that I didn't record to a click or tempo so although I know how find the tempo of an audio track and create a click how do I handle that with midi? The second part is that after I quantize the drums the guitars seem to speed up or slow down depending on where it moved the midi notes. I guess in affect it feels like it didn't MOVE the midi note but like it plays them faster or slower to keep them in time but didn't shift them around the audio tracks. Does this have something to do with the elastic properties? How do I fix it?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Avid

Default Re: Probably a stupid question but... Midi plays back track fast in parts...

I think the problem is mostly that you didn't record to a click, so quantizing is going to be putting the MIDI notes on a grid that no other track has reference to.

As for how to fix it - there's no simple or quick way and really depends on how off the other tracks are to whatever the grid would be.

Quantizing the drums, then using EA on the other tracks may be the easiest way, but it could involve a lot of work in putting the warp markers in the proper places on other tracks so that they line up with the drum track.

Without seeing exactly what's in the session and hearing what's going wrong, it's difficult to give you any kind of specific advice.