Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Insert jacks in the back of M-Audio Fast Track Pro

I'm using Pro Tools MP-9 with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface in a Windows 7 PC. I bought this particular interface because of the insert jacks in the rear, thinking I could use these inserts at mixdown to add outboard effects if I so chose. However, I have been unsuccessful in doing this. So I have three basic questions: (1) Will these insert jacks work to send and receive signal to outboard effects at either mixdown or track bouncing? (2) If so, how can I make this happen? (3) If not, is there a way that I can incorporate an outboard effect at mixdown or in doing a track bounce? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Insert jacks in the back of M-Audio Fast Track Pro

They are not insert jacks. Just 4 inputs and 4 outputs that are unrelated. You can route things any way that works for you.

You could send stereo output out of PT to the software inputs 1/2.

Then you use the driver program to set the hardware outputs 1/2 to come from software input 1/2. Send that hardware output 1/2 to your outboard effects rack.

Bring the return from your effects back into the interface on hardware input 3/4. I am assuming hardware inputs 1/2 come from something else that you record, so we leave those as is.

In PT route an aux channel to read input from 3/4 on the interface. Call that HW EFX RTN or something.

Now you could record in place the whole mix bounce and the HW effects would be printed.

I use the FastTrack Ultra 8R. This is how it could would work with mine. I'm assuming yours just has 4 channels instead of 8.

ASUS PRIME Z390-A / Intel i7 rackmount PC
Windows 10 home 64 bit
Pro-Tools 11.3.1
AIR Instrument Expansion Pack v2
WAVES Platinum plugin bundle
Tascam US-16x08 Interface
100% Analog real time monitoring 16x4
Yamaha 16 channel MG16XU Analog Monitor Mixer
Yamaha MX-88 / Novation XiO keyboards
Mackie 4-channel headphone amp
Adam A8X monitors
Blue / Shure, etc. microphones

Estonia 6' 8" Parlor Grand Piano
Yamaha Studio Drum kit

https://www.dc-choppah.com/
Old 05-20-2013, 03:44 PM

Thanks, DC Choppah.

Actually, the Fast Track Pro has only 2 main channels plus the jacks labeled "insert 1 & insert 2" on the back. It's labeled as a 4 in 4 out unit, so I'm assuming the inserts are considered the 3rd & 4th channels, though I've never used them to record anything. I did notice that when I turned off the rack mount unit I was trying to hook up into the inserts the other day, it caused the input light on channel one to blink on, though I had nothing plugged in to input one. So it looks like I have signal into the interface. Hopefully with the help of your message, I'll be able to figure out how to route it out of then back into Pro Tools. Thanks.

Jim
Old 06-23-2016, 12:31 AM

Hang on a minute...

The Fast Track Pro User Guide clearly states under sections:

5. Controls an Connectors

"Inserts 1 and 2 (Insert 1 / Insert 2) – These 1⁄4” TRS jacks are configured to connect to an analog outboard effect (compressor/
limiter, delay, reverb, etc.), inserting the effect between the preamp and the A/D converter. These inserts are only active
when a connector is inserted, and are otherwise bypassed. The TRS jack is configured as follows: Tip=Send; Ring=Return;
Sleeve=Ground."

6. Hardware Connections:

"Connect your outboard effects units or dynamic processors to the Fast Track Pro’s Insert 1 and Insert 2 jacks, using an insert-
configured Y-cable (balanced TRS-to-dual 1/4-inch mono).
"

The back of my Fast Track Pro Unit has "Inserts" labelled above 2 x TRS inserts

Please explain...
Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
I'm using Pro Tools MP-9 with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface in a Windows 7 PC. I bought this particular interface because of the insert jacks in the rear, thinking I could use these inserts at mixdown to add outboard effects if I so chose. However, I have been unsuccessful in doing this. So I have three basic questions: (1) Will these insert jacks work to send and receive signal to outboard effects at either mixdown or track bouncing? (2) If so, how can I make this happen? (3) If not, is there a way that I can incorporate an outboard effect at mixdown or in doing a track bounce? Thanks.
The insert is doing exactly what an analog insert does, it is between the preamp and in this case AD converter and lets you track/record with an insert effect. There is no direct way to get a signal in Pro Tools fed though this insert.

If you want to send a Pro Tools signal though an outboard processor you need to get an interface output into the input of that box. You have likely enough IO on this box but you need to sort out the cabling to do this (e.g. Use the RCA analog out(s) to drive the outboard box) while leaving you connections for a pair of monitors/headphones so you can monitor the mix.

All this type of worry about outboard boxes is frequently a waste of time, plugins are easier to use, have less wiring and noise issues.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwhich View Post
Hang on a minute...

The Fast Track Pro User Guide clearly states under sections:

5. Controls an Connectors

"Inserts 1 and 2 (Insert 1 / Insert 2) – These 1⁄4” TRS jacks are configured to connect to an analog outboard effect (compressor/
limiter, delay, reverb, etc.), inserting the effect between the preamp and the A/D converter. These inserts are only active
when a connector is inserted, and are otherwise bypassed. The TRS jack is configured as follows: Tip=Send; Ring=Return;
Sleeve=Ground."

6. Hardware Connections:

"Connect your outboard effects units or dynamic processors to the Fast Track Pro’s Insert 1 and Insert 2 jacks, using an insert-
configured Y-cable (balanced TRS-to-dual 1/4-inch mono).
"

The back of my Fast Track Pro Unit has "Inserts" labelled above 2 x TRS inserts

Please explain...
Explain what? You are reading the documentation. The documentation is correct (well except when it refers to a "balanced TRS" insert but I'll let off that writer.)

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-23-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 PM

Indeed, the insert jack is only functional while recording a live input. The other pair of the 4 available inputs is probably the RCA SPDIF input jack(which is for a digital input signal).

Having said that, exactly what are you wanting to insert during a mix? Odds are you have some inexpensive piece of hardware(not ragging, just relating your choice of FT as an interface)? Trust me when I suggest that you have plugins that will meet or beat any "budget" hardware(referring to the stock plugins). I doubt there is any hardware compressor under $500 that is better than BF76, DigiRack Compressor or maybe drop $100 on an iLok licence for SMACK!. I doubt there is a hardware reverb under $500 that will beat IK's Classik Reverbs($99 on sale). Tell us what you have to use, and we'll give you plugin options that will be better(an dprobably cheaper), and will allow you to skip all the associated issues of IO and latency compensation. I have been doing pro work for 10 years in Pro Tools and have only last month decided to add hardware inserts to my setup(and not because I NEED it, just because I can do it and have some new hardware that might actually be worth all the hassle) I do use some hardware compressors during tracking(and you CAN do that with those insert jacks), but I go easy on it(better to add more in the box if I need it and its really tough to compensate for too much tracking compression)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave