Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2015, 04:09 PM

Default Two tracks not working

I'll try to be informative. My goal was to have one guitar track and a separate guitar track. Thus enabling me to record guitar 1 then guitar 2 for thick and or act as have one track slightly different in say a different key.
So guitar one came out great, I set the input to guitar one and the output to main out L/R stereo. Then I added guitar 2 with the same settings, but there was no distortion. It sounded clean. I wanted the sound from guitar 1. Does anyone know what happened or where I went wrong? Now I tried recording on what I thought was the good track, guitar one and now that has a clean tone. I'm looking for a heavy distorted sound and I'm not getting it. Thanks

Last edited by Sable904; 09-21-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Two tracks not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable904 View Post
I set the input to guitar one and the output to main out L/R stereo. Then I added guitar 2 with the same settings, but there was no distortion. It sounded clean. I wanted the sound from guitar 1.
If you are using track 2 with the same settings as track 1, of course there will be no difference.

What FX are you using in the signal chain....hardware/plugin (and where in the chain are you putting it) to get distortion, or any other variation for that matter? What interface (and what input) are you using?

It would help for you to explain the exact signal chain from the guitar right through to the output in Pro Tools.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 09-21-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
If you are using track 2 with the same settings as track 1, of course there will be no difference.

What FX are you using in the signal chain....hardware/plugin (and where in the chain are you putting it) to get distortion, or any other variation for that matter? What interface (and what input) are you using?

It would help for you to explain the exact signal chain from the guitar right through to the output in Pro Tools.
Guitar into>11 Rack to> Main Out of 11 Rack to> Input of BBE Sonic Maximzer to>Input of Crown Amp. Also using Voodoo Ground Control that goes to> the MIDI into> the 11 Rack. Then the USB from 11 Rack to USB to Computer. Then the 2 SPDIFS into > Scarlett Focus Rite in to 11 rack and out from 11 rack to in of Focus rite. Then USB of Focus rite to computer. Again as I mentioned before that guitar on does not have that distortion just a clean sound. Without running my rig thru the Pro tools I have that distortion by just running my 11 rack and BBE and Crown amp. So I hope you get my drift now.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 PM

Until you fully understand what's going on, I would suggest taking the Maximizer, the Focusrite and the Voodoo Control out of the equation to begin with.

Simply leave the 11R plugged into computer (USB) and 11R Main out to Crown Amp (I'm assuming your talking about a power amp here).

Open Pro Tools & go to Setup>Playback Engine and make sure 11R is set as playback engine.

Go to Setup>I/O Setup and click 'Default' button on Input/Output and Bus tabs.

Create one mono and one stereo Audio Track.

On the Mono track input selector choose 11R 'Dry'.
On the Stereo Track input selector choose 11R L and R.
On both tracks set output selector to Main L/R

Plug guitar into 11R and make sure 11R rig input is set to 'Guitar'. You can do this either using the standalone editor or manually on the 11R itself. Record enable both tracks.

Now this Stereo track can be used as either the clean or distorted (FX)channel depending on what settings you're using in the 11R rig.

If you want to build on that sound, repeat the process of creating another pair of tracks Mono and Stereo as before with the inputs/outputs selected same as previously set. You now have the option of creating a subtle or completely different rig to compliment the first. At this point you can choose to send the original dry track to record a new 11R rig on the new stereo track (in this instance you wouldn't need the second Mono track), or record another take on both the new Mono & Stereo tracks.

BTW, creating dry tracks enables them to be used further down the road without having to do more guitar 'takes', or to Re-Amp if you decide that's what you want to do. Once recorded you may want to mute the dry tracks on playback.

If you can get this to work properly try re-integrating your other gear.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 09-25-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable904 View Post
Guitar into>11 Rack to> Main Out of 11 Rack to> Input of BBE Sonic Maximzer to>Input of Crown Amp. Also using Voodoo Ground Control that goes to> the MIDI into> the 11 Rack. Then the USB from 11 Rack to USB to Computer. Then the 2 SPDIFS into > Scarlett Focus Rite in to 11 rack and out from 11 rack to in of Focus rite. Then USB of Focus rite to computer. Again as I mentioned before that guitar on does not have that distortion just a clean sound. Without running my rig thru the Pro tools I have that distortion by just running my 11 rack and BBE and Crown amp. So I hope you get my drift now.
What are you using as the PlaybackEngine in PT; the 11R or the Focusrite?

The easiest thing to do would be to select the 11R in the PlayBack engine. Then open your IO settings, select the Input tab and press the Default button. Then select the Output tab and press the Default button. And lastly, select the Bus tab and press the Default button.

Now create a new session and add two Mono audio tracks.

On track one, select the Rig L for the input and record your guitar.
Now on track two, select either Rig L or Rig R (doesn't matter) and record your guitar. Both tracks should have the same sound.

If you are double tracking the same guitar part, pan track one a bit left and track two a bit right and you should have a nice, thick sounding part.

If that works for you, then maybe we can take this a step further and integrate the Focusrite.

System Details