Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM

Default Volume Fade Controls Guitar Distortion.. Why?

So here's the issue. I have a friend who took one of my guitar tracks and messed around with it on Logic. He put a fade on it (Volume swell) and it sounded great. What made it sound great was the fact that the distortion on the guitar did not change at all in the fade but rather the volume of the part did. Makes sense that it should do that right?

So why in the world does Pro Tools fade the distortion of the guitar along with the volume? I know how to fade, I have used it multiple times and I understand it is gain, but is there a way that I can just affect the volume and not the guitar distortion/sound? Thanks.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Volume Fade Controls Guitar Distortion.. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_morell2011 View Post
So here's the issue. I have a friend who took one of my guitar tracks and messed around with it on Logic. He put a fade on it (Volume swell) and it sounded great. What made it sound great was the fact that the distortion on the guitar did not change at all in the fade but rather the volume of the part did. Makes sense that it should do that right?

So why in the world does Pro Tools fade the distortion of the guitar along with the volume? I know how to fade, I have used it multiple times and I understand it is gain, but is there a way that I can just affect the volume and not the guitar distortion/sound? Thanks.
Yes, of course you can. How do you have your channels and tracks set - what is the signal flow? You have to make sure the fade comes after the amp/distortion plugin - assuming that's what you're doing.

If you have an audio track with the direct guitar signal, and send that to an aux track with an amp plugin on it - then you should do the fade on the aux track, not the audio track.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Alternatively, setting the send to the distortion effect to pre fade, should accomplish this also, correct?

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-18-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Alternatively, setting the send to the distortion effect to pre fade, should accomplish this also, correct?
Yes in the example I gave it would, but I don't even set it up that way though. I just insert the amp plugin right there on the audio track with the direct guitar signal and the output volume of the track can be automated without affecting the level going to the plugin.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Yes, of course you can. How do you have your channels and tracks set - what is the signal flow? You have to make sure the fade comes after the amp/distortion plugin - assuming that's what you're doing.

If you have an audio track with the direct guitar signal, and send that to an aux track with an amp plugin on it - then you should do the fade on the aux track, not the audio track.
cwsand, Thank you soooo much! That worked. I used a bus for the guitar and never thought of creating fades with the volume on the bus. Appreciate it!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_morell2011 View Post
cwsand, Thank you soooo much! That worked. I used a bus for the guitar and never thought of creating fades with the volume on the bus. Appreciate it!
Good deal!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM