Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 08-03-2020, 02:54 AM

Default Re: 33 day countdown! Time to stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
not really made significant progress
Umm, isn't it Intel that hasn't really made significant progress? Apple moving to ARM is best thing since sliced bread, back to RISC and power efficiency.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:01 AM

Congratulations to those who pay attention to their support/update renewal dates. I didn't and shame on me for that. Opened email on July 31 and saw an email from PayPal about a $212.x charge and wondered what happened. Looked a little further and it was my yearly Avid tax bill. It would be nice if Avid had sent out a notice of upcoming renewal like iLok or does.

I hadn't intended on paying it and just staying with the permanent license and not sweat updates. For me the 2020 updates have been a disappointment. Sure track folders and a few other things are great but I work a lot in MIDI and every version after PT 2019.6 has actually lost MIDI features/workability. But then after I got this renewal charge I though that maybe it was a good thing; maybe Avid will fix MIDI in a newer version and I wouldn't have to pay full boat. As long as I can run PT on my 2012 cheesegrater (replacing the video card as necessary) I'm a happy camper.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2020, 04:03 AM

I think that is just how "auto-renewal" works, it assumes you want to renew. Without that tick I assume Avid would send you a notice email telling when you need to renew (and in perfect world when your grace period ends)... maybe someone who does not have auto-renewal could chime in?
Old 08-03-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think that is just how "auto-renewal" works, it assumes you want to renew. Without that tick I assume Avid would send you a notice email telling when you need to renew (and in perfect world when your grace period ends)... maybe someone who does not have auto-renewal could chime in?
Agreed that auto-renew assumes you want to renew but iLok.com is decent enough to send out a notice like 10 days before the renewal date that renewal is due to happen. That gives you the option to turn off auto renewal if you should want to. It would be great if Avid did that so that those who don't check their Avid account on a regular basis would know so you could opt-out of renewing if you should want to (especially if you're on the fence about renewing or not).

Like if you went to empty the trash bin on your computer and it asks if you really want to do that and warns of the consequences.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2020, 04:45 AM

That is an interesting analogy. I think of it like de-clicking the option of "show warning before emptying the Bin" on Finder preferences.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Maybe perhaps one more time, with Apple Silicon right around the corner..? You might kick yourself if you skip 200 and find yourself in a 600 situation soon
Does anyone seriously expect Avid to release a ProTools version for ARM architecture within the next 12 month? C'mon, no way! It took them 18 month to switch from OS9 to OSX.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:28 AM

Did anyone expect Avid release Catalina compatible version within 12 months? It did realise.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:41 AM

Kudos to Avid getting Catalina compatibility but to be honest it means more to them with ongoing sales to new Catalina only Macs than it does to me!

Many plugins are still not Catalina ready and some maybe will never make it over this finishing line. That is yet another reason to stick with the current version.

Agreed, Intel progress has been slow. I still have a similar i7 in my 8 year old Mac to any prospective new purchase.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 08-03-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Many plugins are still not Catalina ready and some maybe will never make it over this finishing line. That is yet another reason to stick with the current version.
True, but that is not Avid's fault. AFAIK, all Avid plugins are Catalina compatible.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
It took them 18 month to switch from OS9 to OSX.
That was a pretty heavy transition, for what it is worth. Nobody in their right mind would have had OSX as primary system before 2003, which is just when DigiDesign released PT6 on OSX.

OSX Jaguar released summer 2002 -- that was the start of a countdown, not OSX first release. Trasition from OS9 to OSX was like Windows 95 to Windows 7