Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 08:40 AM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkwylde13 View Post
Yeah... What do you mean..

I would love to have some links with som info, can't seem to find anything about it.
Jus go to gearslutz or jus google New imac i5 & i7..plenty of info so I don't see how u couldn't find anything...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM

Well.. As far as i Can read it is the desktop models of i5 and i7 processors, so why is it not as powerfull as a desktop i7 windows machine?

Can't seem to find any comparison between the new Imacs and Desktop i7 windows machine, of course not many have them yet, ships November..

Maybe i should start another thread??
Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 AM

there isn't a comparison & Mac definitely does not want it to be for good reason... U COULD NOT HAVE SEARCHED GEARSLUTZ as I suggested because there is a massive thread about this very thing & even 1 on here for that matter... @the end of the day, do u wanna build a more powerful rig for over half of what ur gonna pay for a compromised (what u see as an i7) computer... if u don't feel u can build, don't wanna go thru the correct tweaks & protocol for PC along w/havin flex bios settings, then the IMAC is for u...& yeah u may wanna start ur own thread as this one is geared for builds of PCs so honestly we could care less about a Mac... jus don't say we didn't tell u so after u get it...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Planning to build a pc based on guitardom's build like so many others. One twist though. I was recently given a pc as a gift, a gateway with an i7 950. All other parts inside are cheap crap. I am going to take out the cpu and put it into the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R MB. I dont think I have seen anyone with this cpu on this forum and I will be happy to post my dverb results once up and running if anyone still cares about that.

I have read through the whole forum over the past 2 weeks but have a few questions.

1. I am planning on buying 1600 mhz ram. Do i HAVE to change bios to make the ram run at 1600? Basically is it possible that it would just run at 1600 with no tweaks since it is rated as such? Is it always the case that 1600 mhz ram defaults to 1066 or 1333 with no tweaking?

2. Can the i7 950 be overclocked higher than the i7 920 since the cpu's default speed is 3.02ghz as opposed to the i7 920's 2.66? I was just thinking that since the default speed is faster that it could be overclocked more than an i7 920? I don't know if there is just a general cap for all i7's, like nothing can run over 4ghz because of temps or something like that. I may not do any overclocking at all to the cpu but I am just curious.

3.When I install the Gigabyte MB do I want to get anything at all from the cd. I know not to install any of the automatc bios update software or OCing software but what about drivers? I know it is recomended to get everything new from the website as far as bios/drivers go but do i need to install anything from the cd first just to get it running so i can use the files that I get from the site?

Just for the record I have been a mac user for over 10 years who is switching to pc for the simple reason of price/performance. This will be my first build. I have learned so much from this forum so thank all of you who have shared your knowledge.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
Hi everyone. New to the forum. Planning to build a pc based on guitardom's build like so many others. One twist though. I was recently given a pc as a gift, a gateway with an i7 950. All other parts inside are cheap crap. I am going to take out the cpu and put it into the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R MB. I dont think I have seen anyone with this cpu on this forum and I will be happy to post my dverb results once up and running if anyone still cares about that.

I have read through the whole forum over the past 2 weeks but have a few questions.
welcome scott

Quote:
1. I am planning on buying 1600 mhz ram. Do i HAVE to change bios to make the ram run at 1600? Basically is it possible that it would just run at 1600 with no tweaks since it is rated as such? Is it always the case that 1600 mhz ram defaults to 1066 or 1333 with no tweaking?
yep it will probably default to a lower clock and timings to ensure successful boot. once you get in the bios to tweak you'll find out it's not 'that' bad...provided you've had your eyes in the mobo manual.

Quote:
2. Can the i7 950 be overclocked higher than the i7 920 since the cpu's default speed is 3.02ghz as opposed to the i7 920's 2.66? I was just thinking that since the default speed is faster that it could be overclocked more than an i7 920? I don't know if there is just a general cap for all i7's, like nothing can run over 4ghz because of temps or something like that. I may not do any overclocking at all to the cpu but I am just curious.
yep your OC limit will depend on choice of cooler and method of OC...ie whether you raise the cpu multiplier, BCLK, ram timimgs, etc. it's all connected.

Quote:
3.When I install the Gigabyte MB do I want to get anything at all from the cd. I know not to install any of the automatc bios update software or OCing software but what about drivers? I know it is recomended to get everything new from the website as far as bios/drivers go but do i need to install anything from the cd first just to get it running so i can use the files that I get from the site?
my suggestion and my way is to use the drivers from the disc to get up and runnin'....to install any device drivers that are missin' (have question marks or exclamations next to them) after first boot. most will be unique to your mobo of choice. then go to the site to read up on the latest drivers.
Quote:

Just for the record I have been a mac user for over 10 years who is switching to pc for the simple reason of price/performance. This will be my first build. I have learned so much from this forum so thank all of you who have shared your knowledge.

Thanks
welcome to the other side of the tracks!!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 10-29-2009, 09:17 PM

thanks mykahl for the fast response. I have learned so much on this forum just about computers besides how it relates to pro tools. I'm really looking forward to starting this build. Hopefully will go smoothly. I'm not really worried bout tweaking the bios. That doesn't seem so bad. Im more worried about the random small things that seem to go wrong in peoples systems (noise/dae errors/ bad drivers etc) for who knows what reason. Even Though they followed someone eleses build to spec. Of course reading this forum has tauht me that there is almost always a solution.

Quick question about case. Is it a really good idea to have one with a side panel fan, in addition to front back, for better cooling? Do you or anyone have a good reocomdation for a case that is easy for a first time builder with great airflow 50-100 $
Old 10-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
thanks mykahl for the fast response. I have learned so much on this forum just about computers besides how it relates to pro tools. I'm really looking forward to starting this build. Hopefully will go smoothly. I'm not really worried bout tweaking the bios. That doesn't seem so bad. Im more worried about the random small things that seem to go wrong in peoples systems (noise/dae errors/ bad drivers etc) for who knows what reason. Even Though they followed someone eleses build to spec. Of course reading this forum has tauht me that there is almost always a solution.

Quick question about case. Is it a really good idea to have one with a side panel fan, in addition to front back, for better cooling? Do you or anyone have a good reocomdation for a case that is easy for a first time builder with great airflow 50-100 $
the more 'quiet' fans the better. i actually added 2 fans to my LIAN-LI case for my Q6600 when i built it 2 years ago. my favorite cases have been the one's nikki-k was choosin' from. do a search on her name in this thread and you'll find the links. they are more than $100 tho. but they are sweet!!! other than those i have not researched anythin' lately. sorry

Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Side fans can kill a system, no joke. The dust comes in from the side and clogs the CPU cooler. My favorite cases for buildes have been Antec P182, Antec Solo both are front to back only or Coolermaster 690 (with removed side fan) not a quiet as the others but its cheap ad good cooling. Lian-Li have some good choices as well.

Make sure you get the best (80%+) PSU you can afford and a good CPU cooler as well. read some reviews.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:18 PM

yeah, no doubt...my side fan is setup as an out-take/exhaust. takin' some heat from video card

Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 PM

I bought a very quiet case for my media center pc a few years back. After realizing how quiet it really is, ALL of my PC's are now built into this case.

It's the Antec NSK2480. You can usually find it for < $100 online.