Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2016, 08:56 PM

Default DIGI 002 Rack seems to be out... what to get to replace?

I've posted about my DIGI 002 rack problems and have not received a reply. My serial # does end in G and i never heard about the power supply harness issue until a few days ago, if this is whats effectively killing my rack I suppose there's no free one coming from Avd for me. With that said I need to find a solution... I have a Imac5, 2 running osx 10.5.8 using pro tools 8.0.3 .... I am deciding what to purchase, i def don't want to get another DIGI 002 Rack because this may happen again. I am thinking of getting an mbox 2 pro firewire or a DIGI 002 Console... what does everyone think I should do to solve this issue? Im really disappointed because i am.at a peak creative time for me.. please help.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:09 PM

Default Re: DIGI 002 Rack seems to be out... what to get to replace?

If you determine that this is really the issue, I may be able to locate one.

Pull the harness and clean the connectors well. If you don't have cleaner sometimes just using a pencil eraser will do the trick. Reseat the harness and see if that solves your problem.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-30-2016, 09:42 PM

The middle two screws on top of the unit do NOT want to come off, in fact one of them is now worn from trying that the phillips head doesnt even fit into it anymore.. i was able to lift the top to peak inside and it looked pretty clean in there. I was able to spray contact cleaner, but not adjust the seating inside... I'll get a screw extractor tomorrow and attempt the reseat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post

Pull the harness and clean the connectors well. If you don't have cleaner sometimes just using a pencil eraser will do the trick. Reseat the harness and see if that solves your problem.

Last edited by hotburgers; 06-30-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 AM

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me, as well as to offer something you didnt have to offer. I got a screw extractor and was able to take the top off, after about a decade of use and never opening, it was surprisingly clean on the surface but there were a few dust bunnies. After a deep clean and after the initial tests, my rack seems to be back and better than ever. So thank you immensely for responding and helping me to diagnose, you sir are a true champion and a friend. Bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post

Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 AM

2 things to remember:
#1-NEVER EVER "hot-patch the firewire cable(make or break the connection with the computer and/or 002 powered ON)
#2-you may need to repeat the "cleaning" every 6 months or so(a minor hassle, but now you know how its done)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburgers View Post
Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me, as well as to offer something you didnt have to offer. I got a screw extractor and was able to take the top off, after about a decade of use and never opening, it was surprisingly clean on the surface but there were a few dust bunnies. After a deep clean and after the initial tests, my rack seems to be back and better than ever. So thank you immensely for responding and helping me to diagnose, you sir are a true champion and a friend. Bless.
Happy to help.

I hope you get many more years out of your 002.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com