Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Pro Tools Shortcuts in Logic Pro ?

Hi

Does anybody know a place where I can download a Key Commands File for Logic
Pro, containing all the Pro Tools short cuts so that I can use the PT short cuts
in Logic? .... Or could anybody give me a copy of theirs?

I'm forced to work with Logic a lot lately, and being used to PT shortcuts, it drives me mad...

Thanks and Greetings

Nad
Old 08-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Shortcuts in Logic Pro ?

Perhaps someone has a suggestion, but the problem you're going to find is that Logic is quite a bit different than PT in the key commands department. Logic has a HUGE number of key command possibilities. It's extremely powerful in this regard. Efficient use of Logic's key commands can make an enormous difference in how you utilize Logic Pro. In short, people who have mastered Logic's key commands can really fly.

If you were really serious about using Logic Pro, I'd HIGHLY recommend the LogicKeyboard keyboard. www.logickeyboard.com
It's highly optimized, and layed out wonderfully. With two layers of key labels and color coding, you'd find yourself using a lot more key commands a lot faster. On top of that, some of the more common key commands (e.g. 3 for record) are similar to PT. Beyond what's labeled on the keyboard, the key commands are many levels deep. Personally, I'm glad that someone else spent a bunch of time figuring this out, because I'd hate to have to do it myself. Screen sets are a big part of Logic Pro, and the LogicKeyboard handles them nicely.

At any rate, sorry I couldn't help with exactly what you asked for, but considering the huge difference in the way these applications are set up, you might want to reconsider how you approach this. Running Logic with a PT key command set would be a lot like trying to fly a fighter jet with the controls from a helicopter.

BTW, I think you can download the key command file for the LogicKeyboard for free. You do need the keyboard itself, however, to really make things clear and efficient.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-14-2005, 01:39 AM

send me an email and I'll try to send you mine. I just have a few as logic and pt have different names for similar functions...but I've twead them so that I don't go into complete shock when going back and forth.

again it is not many but it does help me.

ej
Old 08-14-2005, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Hi

Does anybody know a place where I can download a Key Commands File for Logic
Pro, containing all the Pro Tools short cuts so that I can use the PT short cuts
in Logic? ....Nad
You have to start the Logic Pro Setup Assistant again. You will be able to choose a ProTools related set
of key commands then.

But as Lee already mentioned: There is a difference in functionality and concept between both applications.

Best,
M.K.BEAT
Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Hi all again and thanks for your replies..... Yeah i am aware of the differences in funciontality of key commands in PT and Logic, but I was talking about the most common short cuts only - they're the ones that keep me going up the wall the most. And I don't work with Logic more than I do with PT, so I keep wanting to use the PT short cuts in Logic, and it's quite annoying, really.. especially when I got clients with me and i have to work
at top speed

anyway, thanks ej for the file I shall install it and check it out as soon as I got a spare hour.

And i might check out the Logic keyboard anyway, cos it sounds fine!

Thanks all

Nad
Old 08-20-2005, 08:21 PM

I'm a Pro Tooler gone Logical as well. I used to think they should have called it "Abstract" instead, until I got my head around it. I then bought the Logic Keyboard to learn all the new key commands... After some frustration with them while going back and forth between the two apps, I programmed in the basic PT shortcuts for similar Logic functions and finally saw the light. If you spend two hours programming in the basic shortcuts you use regularly, you can just add additional ones as you come across them down the road.

NB There might be a better way, but if you assign "command-E" to "copy" in Logic, you can split regions at the selection border with the Marquee tool. The catch is, it copies it in memory, but I tend to use "alt-drag" for copies and then duplicate for more.

I'd be happy to send you mine, but I've adapted them for a laptop, and my short-cut habits are probably different than yours as well as incomplete.

PS for anyone else out there, I have the Logic Keyboard Lee suggested for sale at half the price of a new one.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 AM

Lawson,

Please contact me I'm interested in your Logic keyboard.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Running Logic with a PT key command set would be a lot like trying to fly a fighter jet with the controls from a helicopter.

I totally disagree. If you regularly use both programs it's an enormous time-saver to have the same key-command set. I even have Logic's screensets set up similarly to PT with a combined Arrange/Audio Mixer that I switch between using the "next window" key command (I use Command=)and a separate Arrange/Audio Files Window. Apart from occaisional forays into the dreaded Environment Window - that's it!

I don't quite see the point of the "Logic Keyboard" since Logic's commands are so customizable. You just need to be aware that Logic has many, many more functions than PT and a good deal of these are ONLY accessible via key commands.