Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2023, 06:24 PM

Default iPad & Control app suddenly in "Remote" mode?

For a couple years I've had an S1, and on top of that is an Amazone Fire tablet as well as an iPad running the Control app. This has worked well (more or less) but about a week ago I began noticing that the iPad will often show up in EuCon as "Remote" mode (stating Remote next to the iPad's name in EuCon) where it seems to stick to transport and shortcut functions -- no mixer faders and meters, etc. I don't remember changing anything nor installing any software which should affect this. Maybe the Control app auto-updated -- I dunno.

I've never seen nor been aware of this Remote mode before, but I don't want it and would like a way to force the iPad into its typical functionality.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:02 PM

Default Re: iPad & Control app suddenly in "Remote" mode?

You can only have one Master or Hybrid tablet. If you have only one S1 with no Dock then your tablet will be in Hybrid mode. If you have two tablets then one tablet must be either a Meter tablet or a Remote tablet and the other a Hybrid tablet. Remote tablets are new in 2023.6 and offer a secondary Master tablet to your master or hybrid tablet that offers softkeys and monitoring control.

If you don’t want a Remote tablet then have one tablet in Hybrid mode and the other in Meter mode. Drag the Meter tablet onto the S1 in Eucon instead of above it so it’s in Meter mode. This is all spelled out in the What’s New for 2023.6

https://www.avid.com/resource-center...able-whats-new
Old 09-05-2023, 09:36 AM

I've been using the S1, iPad and Fire tablet (the Fire is in meter mode) that way for a long time, and it typically works as-described, but for some reason it changes randomly with the iPad in Remote mode. Removing all devices from EuCon and reestablishing them works only half the time. This is a recent thing and I've been using 2023.6 since it's first day. It's an odd one.
Old 09-21-2023, 10:04 AM

I've been having this same issue, along with a very flaky EuCon connection on 2023.6. I have the same setup - fire tablet on the S1 and an iPad off to the side.

I managed to get the iPad out of remote mode as follows:
-Remove all devices from the 'My Surfaces' side of EuControl
-Add the iPad FIRST
-Then add the S1
-Then drag the fire tablet on top of the S1

Also FWIW, just downloaded 2023.9 this morning and the connection seems more stable. We'll see how it goes, the day is young

-David
Old 09-21-2023, 02:08 PM
Avid

This is whats going on. A second tablet added to the MySurfaces list when there is either a Master or Hybrid tablet will become a Remote. Unfortunatly a negative side effect of this is if you have a tablet on the S1(Meters) and a Master tablet, and this Master tablet disconnects for whatever reason....the tablet on the S1 becomes a Hybrid, so the next time you add the 'Master' tablet it becomes a Remote. We will look at making this more fool proof.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:21 AM

Eddie -- my process has been the exact same for years but the Remote thing is new, and sporadic. I haven't had the issue for a few weeks yet today when I turn everything on the iPad again goes back into Remote mode.

I'll play around and see if I can get it to revert back to what I'm accustomed to but at the moment it's being stubborn.

edit: I was able to get things back to normal by removing everything, adding the S1 first, then the iPad by clicking "Add->" and then by dragging the Fire tablet to the S1 so their linked together. This isn't a big deal but it's an annoyance that, for some reason, gets reset occasionally.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:34 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Eddie -- my process has been the exact same for years but the Remote thing is new, and sporadic. I haven't had the issue for a few weeks yet today when I turn everything on the iPad again goes back into Remote mode.

I'll play around and see if I can get it to revert back to what I'm accustomed to but at the moment it's being stubborn.

edit: I was able to get things back to normal by removing everything, adding the S1 first, then the iPad by clicking "Add->" and then by dragging the Fire tablet to the S1 so their linked together. This isn't a big deal but it's an annoyance that, for some reason, gets reset occasionally.
We are aware and are planning an easy right click on the tablet to change its mode
Old 10-03-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
We are aware and are planning an easy right click on the tablet to change its mode
That would be perfect.
Old 10-30-2023, 06:52 AM

Hey Eddie,
this Remote feature is a real game changer for me.
I'm using a Metric Halo ULN8 Audio Interface for monitoring that can be controlled via Eucon. I'm a big fan of always visible monitor sections, so now I can do that with Avid Control being a Remote. I see my Monitor section on the top and can use Soft Keys as well.

The only problem is, that when I remove my second iPad for any reason the Remote becomes Hybrid and I loose the Remote. It would be a great feature to have the Remote stay Remote no matter what the other EuCon devices are doing...
By the way:

Great work so far on the Eucon updates!!!
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 10-30-2023, 10:44 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by made View Post
Hey Eddie,
this Remote feature is a real game changer for me.
I'm using a Metric Halo ULN8 Audio Interface for monitoring that can be controlled via Eucon. I'm a big fan of always visible monitor sections, so now I can do that with Avid Control being a Remote. I see my Monitor section on the top and can use Soft Keys as well.

The only problem is, that when I remove my second iPad for any reason the Remote becomes Hybrid and I loose the Remote. It would be a great feature to have the Remote stay Remote no matter what the other EuCon devices are doing...
By the way:

Great work so far on the Eucon updates!!!
Yes...see above post. Looking at a way to do it more manually.