Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2007, 07:18 PM

Default MediaStation PT with 7.3?

Does anyone know if 7.3 uses a different MOJO firmware version than 7.1/MSPT 1.8? I finally got around to purchasing a 7.3 upgrade, updated all the plugs, and just before replacing 7.1 I noticed that MSPT is not currently compatible with 7.3. Sometime during this year, according to the website. That presents me with a choice of possible workarounds, and this information would be helpful.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: MediaStation PT with 7.3?

HI Richard,
I don't use media station much anymore but I do know that when i installed 7.3.1 it did an update on the mojo firmware so possibly mediastation doesn't work. I will post back and let you know if someone else doesn't get there before me.
Garret

Edit: No it doesn't work. It just won't load up. I never saw this when I was reading the docs. Can you tell me where it mentions this Richard? Thanks
Garret
Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Can you tell me where it mentions this Richard?
Look at the last line of this page: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...d=100&eid=3053
Also here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=23187

Thank you for the info, garret! I know that Pro Tools and Mediastation share some code and that is probably why their compatibility is broken now. Installing one will break the other. I did not research thoroughly before I purchased 7.3 but I noticed before I uninstalled 7.1, thankfully.

The reason I want to use MediaStationPT is that I have some control over the video settings while digitizing (I still get tape sometimes), digitizing errors are detected (no missing frames!), and I can export a DV quicktime for other editing purposes from the same video. If I digitize video in Pro Tools I have no way to export a Quicktime (cannot import that video into anything else). I have an older version of Express Pro on another boot drive, and I can digitize and export with that, but it only uses the MOJO's RCA audio inputs and it uses a different MOJO firmware version than 7.1, so besides having to boot to another drive I have to wait for the firmware to load and then run into the machine room to power cycle the MOJO before I can continue. And do that again when I switch back to PT. It is tempting to stay with 7.1 and a compatible MediaStationPT, considering this and the amount of complaining I read about 7.3. These days I am willing to listen to others rather than charge ahead into trouble.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:44 AM

We have not moved from 7.2 because of media station not working with 7.3. We have been told it will come back with 7.4. I would suspect around NAB we will see them announcing it and releasing sometime in the summer.

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Just did the same thing you did. The tech at Digi told me you could put Media Station on another partition and it would work. However, every time you switched from PT to MS, you would have to change the firmware update on the Mojo. So I'm sticking with 7.2 for now. There is a 3rd party software program that will convert QTs to MXF. It's called "Flip4Mac". I think it's $899. Tough pill to swallow if you already bought MS PT to do just that.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
If I digitize video in Pro Tools I have no way to export a Quicktime (cannot import that video into anything else).

Actually, it is possible to export the MXF video from ProTools to a QT file.

Once you've recorded your MOJO video, select the video region, then go to file -> export -> bounce to quicktime. This will allow you to create a QT file from the current active video track, and will allow you to use any stereo OP or bus as the embeded audio in the QT. You can tell it exactly what sort of file compression you want for the QT as well.

Mat
Old 02-21-2007, 06:04 PM

REALLY? I did not know that! That would solve the biggest of my two problems! Thank you for the information. That really works? I suppose I should RTFM, I just had no idea. I really need to get out more.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:13 PM

I have a "tapeless" facility, so my problem is the opposite. I need a way to take QTs I'm given and make them MXF files. Yes, I know the Mojo with 7.2 will play different codecs, and even though I specify those codecs, I still get QTs, from editors, that the Mojo won't play. So I need Media Station.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Avid

Pro Tools 7.2 and higher can export edited MXF or QT video as a new QT video. Mojo is only required if you are working with MXF video.

Pro Tools 7.2 and higher with a Mojo can also play back most QT movies natively, including h.264 and DVCPro 100. Track count, automation, etc. may vary though, since you are invoking both the QT and Avid video engines.

Media Station|P 1.8.2 is compatible with Pro Tools 7.1 and 7.2, but not 7.3 or 7.3.1 for all the reasons mentioned above. A new compatible version is in development. For what it's worth, if you can get a copy of Xpress Pro 5.6.x, you can use that in conjunction with Pro Tools 7.3 without constantly changing the firmware.

There is always one version of Xpress Pro which is qualified for co-installation wiht a particular version of Pro Tools. Unfortunately, it changes fairly frequently, but the latest info can always be found at http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...4&itemid=24445

Thanks, Gordon
Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 PM

It sure does work! I discovered it when my copy of MediaStation was delayed by more than a month (thanks digi)... it's also a great way of sending clients examples of sound design/sound effects etc but actually linked to the picutre, as you can make the regions any size you want.

Mat