How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Aspera DigiDelivery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Unable to delete local folders after download

Can someone help me...
I have downloaded files from the Digi server but now I cannot delete the local Digi related folders from my hard disk, most of the folders have Okb?????

thanks for your help
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Unable to delete local folders after download

Hi-

I have this problem and I use a small piece of software called DeleteFXP files (windows xp). The trial version can delete these folders, but they must be empty (i.e. delete any files or subfolders first).

Here is the link:

http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelF...lesInstall.zip

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Scott
Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 AM

Any digi programmers going to fix this in the client software?

The client allows you to save file and folder names that are not compatible with windows naming conventions, that's the problem. I don't wish to sound like i'm complaining, but a being able to properly create a folder is a necessity of file transfer and that function of the client isn't doing proper checks.

A workaround is to use command line when dealing with digidelivery files and use the DIR /X command to see the 8.3 file name. Everything will work fine with the 8.3, but the long filename basically reports to windows explorer that it's corrupt.

The other workaround is to make sure that people creating the delivery work only with standard file and folder names and don't put just anything in the delivery name. The most common mistake I have seen in this regard is to have a space trailing the end of a name in the delivery, in Windows you can download that delivery and work with the files inside it, but when you try to do anything directly to the folder in windows explorer you get errors due to the trailing space after the folder name.

We have a few of these boxes and i have spent literally hours cleaning up after deliveries.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Avid

Quote:
The client allows you to save file and folder names that are not compatible with windows naming conventions, that's the problem.
Thanks for this insight. Up until now I wasn't clear on the cause of the problem and we've had very few actual calls about it, so we weren't even clear it was related to DigiDelivery.

In terms of the files and folders the user sends, we are in a bit of a quandary: On one hand, you don't want to modify the files in any way. On the other, you want the files to be universally downloadable. So the answer is probably to add a "Enforce Mac/PC Compatibility" checkbox like we used to have in Pro Tools. But what do we do in the case of illegal characters and names? Do we automatically truncate and substitute characters? Or just notify the user and let them fix the names manually? This is not a rhetorical question - I'm open to suggestions here.

The easy part is the one you sight as the largest problem: Illegal characters or extra spaces in the delivery name. That should be fairly easy to restrict in a future release. I'll bring it up with Engineering.

Thanks again for the info.

-- Gordon
Old 09-12-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Do we automatically truncate and substitute characters? Or just notify the user and let them fix the names manually? This is not a rhetorical question - I'm open to suggestions here.
My preference would be that the DigiDelivery Client software always attempt to enforce Mac/PC compatability and that in the event of illegal characters it should give the user a choice:

1. manually correct each instance of incompatibility
2. automatically substitute a character in the place of any illegal characters ("_" seems like a winner to me)
3. disallow Mac/PC compatibility

I'm probably wrong about always attempting to enforce Mac/PC compatibility," but I do think that it should default to enforcing compatibility. I'm a big fan of Mac/PC compatibility. The part I feel strongest about is that option 2 exist. In my opinion, no application should EVER truncate file names after an illegal character, because you end up with way too many duplicate file names that way.

That's my 2¢,
Tor
Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM

I hope Aspera addresses this in an update to the Digiclient software. We had a recent problem with this when an engineer on a Mac consistently put a trailing space in the delivery name. Anyone who downloaded onto an NTFS system ended up with an undeleteable folder.

Here's an example of how we were able to resolve the corrupt folder issue. Let's say the Digiclient left a corrupt folder on the desktop named ABC. Using the command prompt window, navigate to the folder where the corrupt folder is located with the cd command. Since in our case the corrupt folders were on the desktop, the easy way to enter the folder path was to drag and drop the desktop folder into the command prompt window. Once in the desktop folder, use the dir/x command to view the 8.3 file names. Locate the name of the corrupt file and rename it using the ren command. In our case, this was ren ABC~1 delete. This changed the folder name to delete. Now the folder was able to be dragged to the trash.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-24-2007, 02:02 AM

Just a side-note. The ProTools plug-in of the current client isn´t fully compatible with PT7.x and aspera said that it´s unclear if there will ever be another update on the feature (drag a session file to the DD-client and let the client look for the files). So to be on the safe side you should avoid to just drop a sesion-file to the client when you are using PT7.x
It does work fine with 6.x

frank.