Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Can my internet connection cause PTools to crash?

For several months now I've been having issues with Pro Tools crashing on me mid-playback. When it happens, I typically can't get back into Pro Tools after restarting--it unexpectedly quits on launch. Sometimes Pro Tools will launch, but will freeze up when I try to playback a session. I've tried troubleshooting using the typical methods. But one odd thing I've noticed is that this seems to happen only after I've recently been logged onto the internet (cable internet) using Internet Explorer. Is it possible that when I log onto the internet, it's creating some sort of conflict with Pro Tools?

I'm running Pro Tools 6.1.2 on a Mac G4 867 Mhz machine with 1Gig of RAM, OS10.2.8. I'm using the DIGI 001.

Thanks for reading and helping if you can.

e
Old 06-04-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Can my internet connection cause PTools to crash?

I think you should first update to a stable OS 10.3./ and then upgrade your PT. That's free as well...So....
Old 06-04-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Can my internet connection cause PTools to cra

Your system should be stable under Jaguar (10.2.x).

Have you done the trashing of preferences and databases? do you have apps running in the background? have you done everything in the general troubleshooting sticky at the head of each forum?

it very likely could be the internet connection causing the problem - i've seen stranger things happen.

have you tested it without the internet connection? that would be a surefire way to narrow it down - if it works flawlessly without the internet connection thing, then you've hit upon the cause.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Can my internet connection cause PTools to crash?

Quote:
this seems to happen only after I've recently been logged onto the internet (cable internet) using Internet Explorer
If you have cable internet, then you are always logged on. Did you install any software that came with your internet service? These days most all (if not all) cable broadband works without that software. Maybe there is some crappy software that you don't need causing the problem?

Quote:
it very likely could be the internet connection causing the problem - i've seen stranger things happen.
True that stranger things can happen, but for an internet connection, absent funky software, to crash a computer is really, really strange.

I would reformat, reinstall the OS and PT and not install any software from your ISP, if possible. Then see how things go.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 06-05-2004, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I have gone through and trashed preferences and databases, along with everything else that is on the list at the top of the forum. I unplugged my internet connection and it seemed to work okay for a bit, playback and recording worked fine, but then it froze up again and gave me a DAE ERROR -9162. Now I'm back to not even being able to launch PT.

This is the cycle I've been going through for months now. PT will freeze up and become non-operational, I'll troubleshoot but nothing seems to fix it. Then, one day I'll sit down with it and suddenly it will be working again. It will work for a couple of days and then go back to freezing up on me. I'm stumped. I think maybe there's something wrong with the sound card itself because I keep getting DAE ERROR 6045 and 9162. Any other thoughts?

e
Old 06-05-2004, 09:33 AM

As far as I can tell, there's no funky interent software on my computer. And I have actually recently reinstalled my OS and PT, but it\'s still giving me the same problems. Do you think the problem could be with my sound card itself? When PT freezes up, it tends to give me DAE ERROR 9162, or 6045. When I looked on ANSWERBASE, it made references to checking the connection to the sound card, and reseating it. None of those fixes helped the problem, but it makes me think that maybe something is wrong with the sound card itself, and that I just need to send it back to Digidesign for repair. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

e
Old 06-05-2004, 10:00 AM

Eric, sounds like you've done some decent troubleshooting. I would try once more doing a reformat and reinstall of ONLY the OS and PTLE. I'd remove any extra hardware you might have like printers, scanners, even extra memory and maybe hard drives, etc. Run it like that as long as you can take it and see how it goes. If you still have problems, Digi or Apple hardware might be/probably is an issue.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 06-05-2004, 11:03 AM

Ive hadf the 6045 error before as stated it has to do with improper communiction with the hardware

the sad thing even digi didnt know the answer to it but some things to check

reseat the card as stated and try different PCi slots too

it may be your cable connecting the 001

unplug the cable and reinsert it on both ends to make sure you have good connection

and all the correct settings to install pro tools

admin accout no energy saver etc....

good luck
Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM

ps and run a digi test
Old 06-05-2004, 05:29 PM

Yes, that's another thing I should have mentioned. I've been running Digitest frequently, and sometimes it will pass, but other times EVERYTHING will fail. When it passes, I'll be able to launch PT, but it will typically freeze on playback. When it fails, of course, I can't launch PT at all. Not sure if this info changes any of the feedback I've gotten from you guys.

I'll try reformatting and reinstalling my OS and PT again and see if that helps. Thanks to everyone for the replies.

e