Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 05:22 AM

Default PT 7.3 almost here with video out firewire for PC!

It seems that PT7.3 is almost here. While trying to find out some more information on what might be in 7.3 or any info on it that Digi had posted on the website I simply typed 7.3 in the search window and discovered this page.

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...1&itemid=23986

Now the program download links don't work as of this moment but the PDF's for Installation and 'What's New' certainly do.

So go ahead and answer those questions you've been asking....and yes it will do video out firewire FINALLY on a PC. Though I'd still be happy to see 5.1 under LE it ain't there

Regards

New Hope Media
Old 12-05-2006, 05:29 AM

Default Re: PT 7.3 almost here with video out firewire for PC!

Goody! Another chance to pay another 75 bux for a few extra features!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 AM

Hello. Forgive me but I don't see where they say Firewire Out will be added to Windows systems. I was at AES and was allowed to see this document then. As far as I can tell there is no mention of it. Firewire Out on PC's is not available because Apple arbitrarily left it out of the Windows version of QuickTime. As far as I know that hasn't changed.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:53 AM

Lmao....Digi is a riot...they have a few employees who roam the forum daily....and once they noticed a member spotted their 7.3 info pages that arent public yet, they quickly notify the webmaster who promptly removes the page or changes the link...Lmao....Digi memebers, go read the 'What's new in 7.3' PDF before that too dissappears:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._ACA_32854.pdf

Old 12-05-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: PT 7.3 almost here with video out firewire for

"I don't see where they say Firewire Out will be added to Windows systems."

I agree that the problem in the past has been an Apple Quicktime deficiency but Windows could always do video out firewire if it was AVI not Quicktime it's just that ProTools kept Quicktime as the standard for video playout even when you could choose AVI as an option for your video replay on the PC screen in PT.

I note that the new menus for Video Out Firewire have been changed from Quicktime Out Firewire and include Windows options, something that has been missing from the Windows LE version of PT when compare to the Mac version. I don't know what they've changed but I suggest you read this from the 'What's New" pdf.

BTW Digi have pulled the page offline for the moment but this is from the "What's New" PDF.

"Right-click (Windows or Mac) or Control-click
(Mac) the Video window, and select Online.
To toggle output of QuickTime movies between
the Video window and FireWire, do one of the
following:
Choose Options > Video Out FireWire.
– or –
Right-click (Windows or Mac) or Control-click
(Mac) the Video window, and select Video Out
FireWire.

Updates to FireWire Playback
of QuickTime DV Movies
In Pro Tools 7.3, the QuickTime DV Out
FireWire command in the Options menu has
been renamed to Video Out FireWire.
To toggle the output of QuickTime movies, do one
of the following:
Right-click (Windows or Mac) or Control-click
(Mac) the Video window, and select Video Out
FireWire.
– or –
Choose Options > Video Out FireWire."

Guess you didn't have time to read it all last time.

Regards
New Hope Media
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Avid

Please allow me to clarify: The text in the What's New in LE doc is a simple, if unfortunate, cut & paste error. On Pro Tools HD XP, you can route video out the FireWire port to an Avid video peripheral (Mojo, Mojo SDI or AVoption|V10). This is a capability of the Avid video engine; QuickTime still does not support FireWire output on XP.

For Pro Tools LE, there is still no capability of routing QT out the FireWire port. However, if your desire is simply to get video output to an NTSC or PAL monitor, you could look into monitor cards such as the Matrox Parhelia APVe, which has 2 DVI outs plus a composite video out. Though we have not tested it here, this PCI card should have the extra advantage of not suffering the latency inherent in FireWire video peripherals.

Please understand that, when we release an update as extensive as Pro Tools 7.3, there are literally thousands of pages of documentation which are touched, and errors are inevitable. We will have this one corrected as soon as possible.

Thanks, Gordon
Old 12-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
QuickTime still does not support FireWire output on XP.
Is this an Apple Quicktime XP issue then?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-07-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Is this an Apple Quicktime XP issue then?

Quote:
Quote:
QuickTime still does not support FireWire output on XP.
Is this an Apple Quicktime XP issue then?
Bump
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-08-2006, 04:21 AM

"The text in the What's New in LE doc is a simple, if unfortunate, cut & paste error."

Well now that I have PT7.3 I can confirm it doesn't play Quicktime out Firewire (yet to try AVI) but there's more to it than a simple 'cut and paste error' in the "What's New" document.

I understand why a PC won't do Quicktime out Firewire but I thought that maybe Digi had rewritten the code to allow AVI out the firewire which Windows will do.

There is now in PTLE7.3 for Windows a menu item "Video out Firwire" which did not exist in previous versions. When it is selected however it indicates that it can't find a firewire device.

I can understand a cut and paste error in the documentation but do we also have a matching error in the program code for LE?

Either Windows PT7.3 can do Video (not necessarily QuickTime) out Firewire or it can't. If it can't why supply the menu function in the first place. It hasn't been there in previous versions even though Mac has had 'QuickTime out Firewire' all along.

This is fairly sloppy coding if it's all just a mistake. It either does, or should do or it doesn't and therefore the menu function shouldn't be there. Like they say you can't be half pregnant

What's the answer Digi?

New Hope Media
Old 12-08-2006, 04:33 AM

I'm not sure I would call it sloppy coding... Wishful thinking? Maybe.

What would have happened if they had left it out, and then Apple finally got off their butts and fixed Quicktime for Windows? I'm not optimistic about that, but I would rather have the feature available and active in Pro Tools if/when it happens so I don't have to wait for a Pro Tools update to get it to work.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12