Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 06:52 PM
Avid

Default Re: AVID MOJO no second frame if you play AVI Movi

There are a number of issues mentioned in this thread. Let me try to address them individually.

AVI Support: Pro Tools has never directly supported playback of AVI files. Any success you are having with or without Mojo is based on support within the QuickTime player. The fact that you see the same low-quality display even after you have converted these AVIs to QT indicates to me that either the second field is not displayed by the QT player, or that data was lost when the AVI was created. I could be wrong about this, but that's my first guess.

MJPEG-A Support: We did test MJPEG-A with Mojo and found it to work successfully. See the paragraph below n XP QT quality.

h.264 Instability: h.264 is extremely processor intensive. Depending on the number of tracks in your session, RTAS plug-ins, automation, etc., you may be pushing your system over the edge. Playing any QT movie to the desktop instead of out your Mojo will reduce your processor load, so you may need to fall back to that. I don't know of any output device on XP that reduces your processor load with h.264 the way a Canopus does with DV25 on Mac. However, several of the newer multi-head monitor cards created by nVidia and Matrox seem to have h.264 acceleration built in. Of course, you don't get black-burst lock with them and they only have DVI outputs, not NTSC/PAL so it's a tough position to be in.

QuickTime Output Quality on XP: QuickTime 7.x for XP introduced an option for high or low-quality output. Low quality supports more codecs. Pro Tools 7.3 now has a preference for high- or low-quality QT picture output. This should resolve the issue you are experiencing with general QT image quality on XP.

I hope his information is helpful.

-- Gordon
Old 12-06-2006, 02:25 AM

"AVI Support: Pro Tools has never directly supported playback of AVI files. Any success you are having with or without Mojo is based on support within the QuickTime player. The fact that you see the same low-quality display even after you have converted these AVIs to QT indicates to me that either the second field is not displayed by the QT player, or that data was lost when the AVI was created. I could be wrong about this, but that's my first guess."

Hallo

that is def. wrong, bacause the movies whether if it is QT DV25 ore AVI DV25, when playd by QT( High Res.) both fields are on the screen, and the same pictures in PT7.2 with Moajo only the upper field is played.
It is def. not the format transformation, it is a mistake with the movie reproduktion in PT.

best regards

Andi
Old 12-06-2006, 05:01 AM

I'm glad you have fixed the problems I've had with low quality playback of QT-DV. It is about time. I would like to point out that this worked fine in PT 6.x, and it seems to me that the 7.0 upgrade of ProTools created the problems with videoplayback by not properly integrating Quicktime features.
From v.7 of Quicktime all DV has played in full quality by default. It was version 6.x of Quicktime that had the option of playing DV files in low-quality.

BTW I`m really looking forward to editing movie-files in PT. Looks like a great upgrade.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 AM

"AVI Support: Pro Tools has never directly supported playback of AVI files. Any success you are having with or without Mojo is based on support within the QuickTime player. The fact that you see the same low-quality display even after you have converted these AVIs to QT indicates to me that either the second field is not displayed by the QT player, or that data was lost when the AVI was created. I could be wrong about this, but that's my first guess."

Hallo one more time

and what i have forgotten to tell is, that when I play this movies with a canopus DV 110 ore a SMM Bobby, both field are on the screen.
That is funny, when I plug the Mojo back, ups the lower field are gone.

Please Digidesign, test this problems and give me an answer

peace

andi
Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Avid

The single-field output with the AVI could be the result of QT defaulting to the low-quality output setting. If you move to 7.3 (or if anyone you know has 7.3), you can test it with the high quality output setting and see if that helps.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:38 AM

Hello everyone!

I did a thorough test on this subject (which digidesign is apparently not able to do) and these were the results:

No matter, if QT-DV25 or AVI-DV25 the QT player always plays both fields in High Quality (which is the default setting). Playing back these files via PT either on the computer monitor or through Mojo results in single-field output, therefore the resolution looks poor. Playback via any standard Firewire interface like the canopus gear is perfect.

And what happens when you play a JPGA compressed QT movie through MOJO? This has to be seen to be believed! Only every THIRD LINE is displayed, the movie looks horrible.

I hope these problems are a mere result of unprofessional implementation of the QT codecs and therefore will be resolved in version 7.95 (329$ only)
Old 12-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Avid

As I said above, Pro Tools 7.3 includes an option to set QT playback to high quality. Earlier versions of Pro Tools 7.x on Windows XP defaulted to low-quality to support the broadest range of codecs.

Thanks, Gordon
Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 AM

Sorry, I was not talking about XP, I use the Mac version of PT 7.2.

Is there any improvement in video playback in 7.3 Mac?

Have you been able to reproduce the problems mentioned in this topic?

Many Thanks for your help!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Avid

7.3 contains the same options for Mac.

Thanks, Gordon