Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: DV Quicktime look really bad in PT 7

PTLE 7.1 cs 10
QT 7.1.3
DV video looks bad. Enabling high quality in QT Pro doesn't work.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Avid

Pro Tools 7.3 now has a preference for high- or low-quality QT picture output. This should resolve the issue you are experiencing with general QT image quality on XP.

Thanks, Gordon
Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Pro Tools 7.3 now has a preference for high- or low-quality QT picture output. This should resolve the issue you are experiencing with general QT image quality on XP.

Thanks, Gordon
Man again, why should I pay for this? I paid for QT playback in 7.2.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 12-08-2006, 03:20 AM

If you have 7.2, you can upgrade for lower price. That's so low you could pay only for having that new "send to Sibelius" feature, but there's a whole lot more to it than that. Ever dreamed about not having to stop transport for making changes to the mixer? Now that's possible. It might be even greater ease-of-use feature than being able to copy plugins/sends via drag'n'drop... Or the RTAS error suppression, isn't that worth something for anyone? Just buy the upgrade and enjoy the new features.

(on another note, I'm sorry to hear QT doesn't work in Windows as good as it can be...)
Old 12-08-2006, 07:54 AM

Hi JFreak,
your missing the point. Can Digi fix the bugs in current software before making paid upgrade versions. Fix the software is the point. We paid for working software. Not halfway working software with tons of gottyas and workarounds. My rig cost 30k. Fix it then move on. Personally, I'd forgo all the new stuff for a release of 7.2cs2 without access violations and good looking dv video on my monitor.
Thanks,
Brandon
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-12-2007, 04:07 AM

Hello

Any news about the DV picture qulity in QT? I'm running a Matrox P750 and I've updated the driver to the one that Matrox has certified for Pro Tools compatibility. It works fine, but picture quality on my main TV screen is really bad. I'm still on QT 6.3, I'll be upgrading to QT 7 or the pro version if it is of any help.
Any ideas or fixes to the problem?

L.G.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm really happy with how it's looking on my system - PTLE 7.3 QT 7.1.3 w/Matrox APVe - I went straight to 7.3 from 6.9, and I think it actually looks better now.

I don't use TV output on my other system, and can't say that I've noticed any quality difference on the floating window - but resizing is great.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
Old 01-12-2007, 02:16 PM

I just checked this. In 7.3 you can select high quality in the prefs and it actually makes QT play the movie back in HQ mode and this fixes the low res playback. So, it's now fixed and is a preference. Awesome.
Peace,
Brandon
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 01-12-2007, 04:29 PM

OK, that's a great news! Awesome! I'll upgrade to 7.3 as soon as possible, I hope it's as stable and bug free as 7.1. The Matrox driver specifically released for PT compatibility also works great! In the meantime I've managed to work with movies by asking Mpeg files: they loog good in the QT window and on the TV screen, but it seems they are a bit heavier on the CPU because of the decompression process. What resolution do you usually get your DV files? I had the picture editor export a DV file in its native resolution (a direct capture made with Sony Vegas Video straight from the DV deck), but it was quite a huge preview window (although I hide it at the bottom of the screen as an habit) and the file size is about 800 Mb for 3min of video.

L.G.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 PM

hey lorenzo,

at our studio we've been using canopus for video to our crt and lcd/plasma displays. however we're not completely happy with the sync with canopus. we are researching other ways of working-but not through firewire-as firewire solutions seem to have sync problems. i see you are using the Matrox system. i am not familiar with how protools works with video cards and such, other than out the firewire port. how does this work? with Matrox, when you play a quicktime movie in Protools does it automatically play through the 2nd dvi output and fill up the screen?
thanks
ryan
IMDB Credits