Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 12-01-2020, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Carbon DSP Plug-Ins Question

Computers these days don’t struggle with native plugins like in the old days and typically can do a good job with the medium sized sessions project studios see. It’s tracking with plugins that can be an issue and that’s where Carbon comes in. It’s really not targeted towards running a full session on DSPs like HDX.
As far as 3rd party support...we will see. But, if Carbon takes off and people start requesting DSP versions, the 3rd party developers will start to offer more DSP versions.

System Details
Old 12-01-2020, 07:44 PM

When I do a tracking session with a full band (let's say a simpler session with 24 inputs) at 24Bit-192kHz, I need at least 2 HDX cards to be able to track with enough headphone mixes, a few basic plugins, and a couple of reverbs.

Can I do this on Carbon?

I didn't think so...

This is a project studio product, and we should all relax and understand that there will be bigger and bolder moves on the Pro side, but this likely isn't it.

Last edited by Mixchump; 12-01-2020 at 07:44 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 12-02-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnows View Post
@Luke I'm sure you're right, supporting third party devices is something that no company wants to commit to. Avid has had years of testing AVB with live shows in the S6L and alike so it's highly unlikely that it won't work. I have Carbon, I tried it with a Presonus AVB switch (not mine) - no problem at all.
I am really interested in this but the statements in the bold seem a bit ambiguous or confusing to me ,,, as in ,,,which is it ? "highly unlikely that it wont work"....... or it does it actually work " no problem at all " ??

And please can you give some exact details and context to "no problem at all" doing what exactly ?

Like for example to clarify you ran the 1'st ABV port on the Carbon to your computer, and 2 port to the Presonus and ran some 3rd party hardware off the Presouns ? (what hardware ? ). OR you simply ran from #1 port from the Carbon to the Presonus to your computer ?

Also I gotta ask .... with all your experience with Avid how is it,,, this is your first post here ? Not challenging you just curious

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-03-2020, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I am really interested in this but the statements in the bold seem a bit ambiguous or confusing to me ,,, as in ,,,which is it ? "highly unlikely that it wont work"....... or it does it actually work " no problem at all " ??

And please can you give some exact details and context to "no problem at all" doing what exactly ?

Like for example to clarify you ran the 1'st ABV port on the Carbon to your computer, and 2 port to the Presonus and ran some 3rd party hardware off the Presouns ? (what hardware ? ). OR you simply ran from #1 port from the Carbon to the Presonus to your computer ?

Also I gotta ask .... with all your experience with Avid how is it,,, this is your first post here ? Not challenging you just curious

Hi K Roche, no problem - challenge away! I had another account (where I’d lurked for too long - maybe a decade). I’d never posted on that account so no need to change until annoyingly I thought I could for once add some real world experience. It had a username that I wanted to change as I like staying private. The only way I could see to do that was to create a new account. My full time and only job is writing and producing music. I’m not employed by or third party contracted by Avid, I don’t sell Avid gear.

No good deed goes unpunished, there’s 5 minutes of both our lives wasted explaining that.

So back to AVB.
A colleague has a Presonus 5 port AVB switch. I just wanted to see whether I needed to spend $500 on a 5 port hub, which I don’t.

Test 1:
MacBook Pro via Apple TB3-TB2/TB2 to Ethernet > into switch > switch into Carbon. Open Pro Tools. Sees Carbon fine. Play a big session. Run Record and generally muck about on a few tracks - no difference to a direct connection.
Test 2:
Mac Pro 2019 direct Ethernet port 2 > Presonus Switch > Carbon. Open Pro Tools. Ditto.

I did no other tests,

‘Highly unlikely that it won’t work’ - Absolutely a guess on my part, based on friends in the live world with real world experience (and a Presonus switch). AVB has been used in audio products for a while. It’s a mature platform that is used in live shows like Dante, which I wished they’d used. The upside is I don’t spend time in the Dante matrix.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonator View Post
Hi K Roche, no problem - challenge away! I had another account (where I’d lurked for too long - maybe a decade). I’d never posted on that account so no need to change until annoyingly I thought I could for once add some real world experience. It had a username that I wanted to change as I like staying private. The only way I could see to do that was to create a new account. My full time and only job is writing and producing music. I’m not employed by or third party contracted by Avid, I don’t sell Avid gear.

No good deed goes unpunished, there’s 5 minutes of both our lives wasted explaining that.

So back to AVB.
A colleague has a Presonus 5 port AVB switch. I just wanted to see whether I needed to spend $500 on a 5 port hub, which I don’t.

Test 1:
MacBook Pro via Apple TB3-TB2/TB2 to Ethernet > into switch > switch into Carbon. Open Pro Tools. Sees Carbon fine. Play a big session. Run Record and generally muck about on a few tracks - no difference to a direct connection.
Test 2:
Mac Pro 2019 direct Ethernet port 2 > Presonus Switch > Carbon. Open Pro Tools. Ditto.

I did no other tests,

‘Highly unlikely that it won’t work’ - Absolutely a guess on my part, based on friends in the live world with real world experience (and a Presonus switch). AVB has been used in audio products for a while. It’s a mature platform that is used in live shows like Dante, which I wished they’d used. The upside is I don’t spend time in the Dante matrix.
Hey thanks for the clarification I was curious Because I am getting A Carbon

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-05-2020, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Hey thanks for the clarification I was curious Because I am getting A Carbon

K, you will not be disappointed. I hope they hurry up with the on screen remote and EuControl support, being able to store track presets of Mic levels etc would really be killer. FWIW The fan is super quiet, this is not another Omni.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:21 AM

Is it possible to use the Carbon onboard dsp to mix with aax dsp plugins?
Or is the onboard dsp only for aax dsp during tracking?
Old 12-18-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Is it possible to use the Carbon onboard dsp to mix with aax dsp plugins?
Or is the onboard dsp only for aax dsp during tracking?
Yes you can use DSP AAX to mix with. Now sure why you would, given that with the Auto Delay Compensation feature in Native, latency really isn't an issue when mixing But you certainly can . However at some point on a large session you will eventually run out of DSP .

Check out this video from Production Expert Blog At about 4:00 minutes you can see he engages DSP mode in the session but he does not have any tracks record enabled. So the DSP mode selection is available regardless of record ( however I understand in preferences you can select an option, to automatically go into DSP mode when you click a tracks Record or Input monitor button). The reviewer demonstrates maxing out the DSP at around 6:00
https://youtu.be/k8Cco_hLUPE

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-18-2020 at 12:55 PM.