Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2002, 04:16 PM

Default Re: OMS/AMT8/USB Extend It problems

I have the same setup. I have my USB exstended with the "geffen100" my computer sees my amt8 fine and I have the Digi Pre hooked up to it also, it all works fine. I am about 60 feet away from my computer. Sounds like OMS needs to be setup right.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:38 PM

Default Re: OMS/AMT8/USB Extend It problems

Definitely, check the AMT8 out without the Extendit to establish that it's working OK.

This might not work in your case, but for some folks, it might be useful...

I've got some E4XT's and GigaStudio machines in my machine room. I have an AMT8 plugged in via USB directly to the computer in the machine room. Then, I use a serial cable (as Emagic recommends) to go from the first interface to the other three in my studio. In my case, the serial cable is 30', but I've heard of others going much farther (especially if you use quality wire). It's certainly a way to get some cable length on an AMT8 network without using any costly USB extension devices (an AMT8 from the discount retailers is probably cheaper than the Extendit, too).

DB9 connectors are fairly easy to make. Places like Markertek stock the Mini-DINs, but they're harder to work with. One solution for making long cables with Mini-DINs is to use a commercially made cable for the ends, splicing into it with high quality cable for the length of the runs. Use small shrink wrap for the individual connections, then a big piece of shrink wrap over the whole works. Pretty much anyone that's ever used a soldering iron and a heat gun can do it.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-13-2002, 12:00 AM

Default OMS/AMT8/USB Extend It problems

Has anyone had any problems with such a set up ???? Specifically OMS not seeing the AMT 8 ?? which is running through the extendIt.....

I have not had a chance to try the AMT8 without the "extend it" but will. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with the setup (BTW it's on a Dual 1gig Quicksilver)

thanks
Lou